Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
So current version of EU3 is 5.2 beta July 27, does it mean they would finish the patch apply it and call it EU4?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
This is good, was wondering when we'd get EU4.
The graphics look extremely similar to CK2. I wouldn't mind a bit more visual distinctiveness. But then again everyone will play in the political map mode 99% of the time anyway.

Cassidy

Arcane
Note that the map has 3D levels now - hills, ridges and mountains actually stand out, instead of just being different colour.

What a pointless eyecandy without formers to do cool things with it.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Note that the map has 3D levels now - hills, ridges and mountains actually stand out, instead of just being different colour.

What a pointless eyecandy without formers to do cool things with it.
It's far from pointless, it let's you see where those easily defensible mountain provinces are even when you're using the political map mode.

oscar

Arcane
They also ought to make France the big baddy of the game once more (that historically required pretty much every major power in Europe to team up against just to win a draw) not the fucking irrelevant, declining, decrepit mess that was the Holy Roman Empire.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
They also ought to make France the big baddy of the game once more (that historically required pretty much every major power in Europe to team up against just to win a draw) not the fucking irrelevant, declining, decrepit mess that was the Holy Roman Empire.

France was the biggest threat true but HRE was the playground and the arena where spheres of influence collided. Spain fought France over HRE so did other nations. HRE WAS important.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Waiting for the morons to start crying about how OP Europeans are, once again. "Waah waah my African tribe must have a chance of beating off England, France and the Ottomans!"

pocahaunted

Arcane
Waiting for the morons to start crying about how OP Europeans are, once again. "Waah waah my African tribe must have a chance of beating off England, France and the Ottomans!"

I guess I'm one of those morons, I enjoy playing as a relatively shitty power whilst rising to the "top". That said, I enjoy doing it with minor European powers and not tribal nations so I guess it's more believable. It's still kinda annoying how the UK is pretty much always the top dog just because.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Yes, there's nothing wrong with taking a minor European power and rising to the top. There's also nothing wrong with taking a shitty tribal nation and resisting the AI invasions. The problem comes when some people demand that Pdox should make it so that the shitty tribal nation can do a WC or something like that.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
At the same time I hope they make it harder for the Europeans to outright conquer those shitty tribal nations. It's far too easy in EU3 to load your entire army on a fleet and go on a third world conquering spree.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I hope they have some events that will help you influence the development of your monarch and heir ala Crusader Kings 2. The dynasty mechanic isn't necessary, but I would like some control as far as leaders are concerned.

oscar

Arcane
EUII with the AGCEEP mod was a pretty cool experience. Super-deterministic (the Spanish Armada invasion is done via event) but pretty damn fun. Impressively detailed event chains and even some pretty deep alternate history branches of events.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
At the same time I hope they make it harder for the Europeans to outright conquer those shitty tribal nations. It's far too easy in EU3 to load your entire army on a fleet and go on a third world conquering spree.
Entire army? Pfffft. One or two modest stacks are enough to defeat all non-Europeans.

Higher Animal

Arcane

I'm confused here. France is EU 3 easy mode. If you play historical then you get amazing historical leaders. Unlimited monies/population plus good colonization leaders. Super easy to become emperor as well. Only legitimate concern with a well played Historical France is Russia and colony revolution.

Prussia and later Germany successively cunt punched France until it became known as a nation of whimps. HRE is undisputedly the more important historical player when everything is counted up in the end. France's historical moments were predicated on being clever in european politics and behind that of England, Spain, and the HRE.

oscar

Arcane
I wouldn't say arguably. It was the most populous state of Europe with a strong economy, disciplined and well-led troops and a quality navy (technically superior in naval engineering than the Brits, there's a reason French ships were used as flagships, though numerically inferior). Even getting a draw with France usually involved pulling in every other European Great Power (with the British bankrolling things).

The HRE should really be a punching bag between France, Austria, Sweden and (later) Prussia with maintenance of the balance of power and its use as a buffer zone seeing it preserved by outside intervention.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom