Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Example of ME3's homosexual "romance" "dialogue".

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
He is more of an hero than Jennifer "Hamburger" Helper could ever be.

By the way, why the nick "hamburger" ? And I cannot believe wyrmie is offended by this thread. LOL.

kris

Arcane
" Ask me about Wood."

Best clearly is: My current research focuses on wood identification and wood-moisture relationship, especially as related to dimensional change in wood
:D:D

Well, it's not hard to write such masterful prose when the team is as adept as Helper and Gaider:

2gFpp.png

Partly he is right though. Clearly many women like twillight and they do that only due to the romance. I am neither a woman nor have read the book, so I can't comment further.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Best clearly is: My current research focuses on wood identification and wood-moisture relationship, especially as related to dimensional change in wood
:D:D

Wood warping is a bitch, though.

Angthoron

Arcane
Partly he is right though. Clearly many women like twillight and they do that only due to the romance. I am neither a woman nor have read the book, so I can't comment further.

Many people like Dragon Age 2. I don't think that requires any further comments.

Buuuuuut if it does, then, based on some reviews, rants and similar evidence, there's no chemistry between the characters, neither in the film nor in the books, the characters are flat, boring, lacking development, and the romance evolves around "I wanna have sex - I will only have sex with you once we're married - Marry me - I can't, you should be a vampire - Turn me into a vampire - Not before we're married" premise. How one can make three movies and four films out of that, I'll never know. Even Shakespeare settled on one play. And it didn't even have vampires.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Twilight is the ultimate wish-fulfilment self-insert fantasy for insecure and unhappy women so naturally it is popular as fuck. Harlequin books have always been somewhat popular, Meyer just managed to publish at a right time.

Ermm

Erudite
Twilight is the ultimate wish-fulfilment self-insert fantasy for insecure and unhappy women so naturally it is popular as fuck. Harlequin books have always been somewhat popular, Meyer just managed to publish at a right time.

Funny thing is that Hideo Kojima himself said that he is a fan of Twilight.

Even though I don't care about everything he has done after MGS1 for PS, still, it looked like a horrible marketing stunt. I really don't remember what they were trying to advertise, I think he said that he wanted fans to send their Twilight fan art for some kind of MGS contest or smth.

What is wrong with the identifying wood guy? There are plenty people with marginal jobs. It sounds like an honest to god job that is decently useful too, unlike hamburger helper

RPGMaster

Savant

Even though I don't care about everything he has done after MGS1 for PS, still, it looked like a horrible marketing stunt. I really don't remember what they were trying to advertise, I think he said that he wanted fans to send their Twilight fan art for some kind of MGS contest or smth.

It's not surprising that a creator of shit is a fan of shit.

Angthoron

Arcane
What is wrong with the identifying wood guy? There are plenty people with marginal jobs. It sounds like an honest to god job that is decently useful too, unlike hamburger helper

You know what wood means in slang, right?

kris

Arcane
Many people like Dragon Age 2. I don't think that requires any further comments.

Buuuuuut if it does, then, based on some reviews, rants and similar evidence, there's no chemistry between the characters, neither in the film nor in the books, the characters are flat, boring, lacking development, and the romance evolves around "I wanna have sex - I will only have sex with you once we're married - Marry me - I can't, you should be a vampire - Turn me into a vampire - Not before we're married" premise. How one can make three movies and four films out of that, I'll never know. Even Shakespeare settled on one play. And it didn't even have vampires.

I would say few liked Dragon age 2. I seen like two on this forum and both is probably just trolling.

But that is beside the point. Gaider says that Twillight is "effective in the way it portrays romance", sure he adds that it does romance well to, but what is really wrong with what he said? Clearly its success is exactly because it portrays romance in an effective way.

I would rather compare it with Avatar, a movie that really isn't anything special. But it is a movie that effectivly pulls viewers in. I heard so many that knew the story beforehand, but was still pulled in. In fact just check redlettermedias review, he explains that further.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
What I would love is a Mass Effect 3 scene where you discover two of your crew memebers having secret gay sex hidden in the airlock, with and EXTREEME option to press the button to eject them both into space :smug:

Angthoron

Arcane
I would say few liked Dragon age 2. I seen like two on this forum and both is probably just trolling.

But that is beside the point. Gaider says that Twillight is "effective in the way it portrays romance", sure he adds that it does romance well to, but what is really wrong with what he said? Clearly its success is exactly because it portrays romance in an effective way.

I would rather compare it with Avatar, a movie that really isn't anything special. But it is a movie that effectivly pulls viewers in. I heard so many that knew the story beforehand, but was still pulled in. In fact just check redlettermedias review, he explains that further.

What is wrong is that it doesn't really portray anything. As a portrayal of romance, it's not more than a caricature. Unfortunately, for many, a caricature of the real thing is enough to wet their panties - see popularity of boy bands in the 90ies, massive sales of awesome singers like Brittney and Bieber, wild success of Da Vinci Code et cetera. As it goes, once the media machine starts marketing whatever piece of shit, that piece of shit invariably becomes popular - therefore I can't say that "many sales = good in any way", no, it's merely well-marketed for a target population and fits the lowest common denominator.

And thing is, Twilight is aimed at teenage girls - and people with a mentality of a teenage girl. What do teenage girls know about romance, or its portrayal? Not much, and clearly neither does Gaider (talking about romance plots that he's written now, not just his admiration for Twilight). I'm not even talking about realistic romance because fuck that we're not living in Realism period. I'm more about any sort of pretense that there's even a shred of credibility to the writing. Damn, Austen and the Brontës had more of an idea about romance portrayal and they were living in an era of sexual taboos in a completely male-dominant society. What Twilight does is just ridiculous.

As for Avatar, I've seen some more in-depth analysis of its attraction than RLM review, though that was pretty good as well. Not sure it affects the audience in the exact same ways as Twilight, but there are several similarities, such as new, shiny vistas and people in Avatar <==> new, shiny love interests in Twilight. Brain goes "Oooh, what's this then?" for a while in both cases, it's a sort of a natural reaction.

In any case, tl;dr, Twilight's portrayal of romance is laughable at best. Anyone to actively admire it outside the target demographic is either a liar or an idiot.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
What I would love is a Mass Effect 3 scene where you discover two of your crew memebers having secret gay sex hidden in the airlock, with and EXTREEME option to press the button to eject them both into space :smug:

Tha would be the RENEGADE/XTREME option and would be a giant :incline:.Of course there would be the PARAGON/GAY option where you join them for a threesome:decline:

racofer

Thread Incliner
Tha would be the RENEGADE/XTREME option and would be a giant :incline:.Of course there would be the PARAGON/GAY option where you join them for a threesome:decline:

The PARAGON option is to convince them you understand their motives, but they should still get a room.

The middle dialog option is for joining them, akin to DA2's "purple" dialog choice where you make some (un)funny line and take things for what they are (in the ass).

DraQ

Arcane
Isn't that quite the point?

Plus he identifies wood.
:troll:

Hideous who?
:smug:

grotsnik

Arcane
Damn, Austen and the Brontës had more of an idea about romance portrayal and they were living in an era of sexual taboos in a completely male-dominant society. What Twilight does is just ridiculous.

Yeah. I guess the message there is that classic love stories aren't hurt in the slightest by being repressed or sexually implicit; that it's much more important that they 1) have original, three-dimensional characters who are engaging as individuals, and who the audience feels deserve a happy ending with one another, 2) aren't invented by screwy Mormon stay-at-homes with some unresolved issues about sex that need to be taken to the therapist. and 3) aren't an ass-kissing minigame in an RPG in which lonely people can act out a fake romantic fantasy with a pair of virtual dolls spouting incoherent double entendres at each other.

'Let's dance, Loco.' I mean, Jesus Christ. And it'll get praise for being progressive. It's not progressive, it's not enlightened, it's fucking embarrassing.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite hispanic penis on the Normandy."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom