Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Expeditions: Rome releasing on January 20th, now available for preorder

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Pr-ordered the game, as I greatly enjoyed the two first installments and had a very good impression of this one, based on released information so far. Conquistador was a mighty good game, if a bit rough around the edges at times, but Vikings was a masterpiece, it delivered in every aspect.

Kinda worried about sales though, they missed the Christmas window, that can't be ideal, not to mention the game has barely received any coverage from major gaming sites and YouTubers.

January is a shit month to launch a game in, but maybe they're betting that with few other game releases, it's worth it?

As for the rest, I don't recall any of the Expedition games getting a lot of coverage with major gaming press (lol) or influencers (more lol).

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you're going to make a game in a historical setting, I feel like there should be an attempt to keep it accurate. Especially with Rome, which by now has amassed such a large casual/nonhistorian audience, that you can hire any of three dozen YouTubers as a consultant.
That is one of the main issues I have with making historical games: I had considered making one, but the idea of having people complain about the incorrect order of battle at Patay made it sound not worth it. I think Darklands had a similar issue actually (like requiring a huge budget and lots of historical research efforts).

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
If you're going to make a game in a historical setting, I feel like there should be an attempt to keep it accurate. Especially with Rome, which by now has amassed such a large casual/nonhistorian audience, that you can hire any of three dozen YouTubers as a consultant.
That is one of the main issues I have with making historical games: I had considered making one, but the idea of having people complain about the incorrect order of battle at Patay made it sound not worth it. I think Darklands had a similar issue actually (like requiring a huge budget and lots of historical research efforts).

You're always going to have complainers, but I feel like if people make a reasonable attempt at historical accuracy, then it's usually enough. Look at HBO's Rome. Tons of inaccuracies, fiction, etc, but most people enjoy it.

Give me Rome wifes!

IMG-20211208-223842.jpg
Thank you anon! You are a good anon!

Tigranes

Arcane
I highly doubt this is going to win many points for historical accuracy. For me the larger question is what they've done with the gameplay loop.

D1P though.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
There are only two reasons for pre-ordering something:
  1. You are afraid that they will run out of copies; or
  2. You are a fool.
What if you know you want to play the game at launch and you get a non-negligible discount for pre-ordering? Does it fall under the "you're a fool" case?
You "don´t remove it from an inventory" try it out and then you buy it when its discounted enough for you.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Give me Rome wifes!
Give me Egypt wifes!

Glad I preordered the game.

Isn't Cleopatra kinda Greek though? Since she's part of the Ptolemaic dynasty, descending from a general of Alexander.

2. You are a fool.

How about wanting to support the developer?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Give me Rome wifes!
Give me Egypt wifes!

Glad I preordered the game.

Isn't Cleopatra kinda Greek though? Since she's part of the Ptolemaic dynasty, descending from a general of Alexander.

2. You are a fool.

Cleopatra was a descendent of Ptolemy I Soter, in the Ptolemaic Dynasty (33rd recognized dynasty of Egypt, which happened to be the longest and last dynasty of what we consider Ancient Egypt). Ptolemy himself was Macedonian Greek, and his lineage remained distinctly Greek (due to a buttload of incest and not even bothering to learn the Egyptian language). Cleopatra is considered by some to be the most "Egyptian-like" as she actually learned Egyptian and local customs.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
  2. You are a fool.

That's selling your soul to a corporation doncha know. You aren't allowed to reward good practices, just complain about bad ones.
You should support and reward devs for releasing good games. But specially after the release part.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
Im really curious just how they want to make allying with Vercintegorix worth, like yes apparently Vercintegorix worked for Caesar for while but still how would that work.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Im really curious just how they want to make allying with Vercintegorix worth, like yes apparently Vercintegorix worked for Caesar for while but still how would that work.

I'm assuming they're just going to do a really hammy version of "allying" with the tribes of Gaul.

Historically, Romans have like a 100% chance of invading their "allies."

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Well, 20% is a decent discount, i played their previous games multiple times and enjoyed them immenselly.
Atm i got disposable income and tbh cba to hassle with high seas, unlike my college days.
I always purchase the basic version though, if the game proves to be exceptional and fair treatment from devs, then i will purchase deluxe upgrades n shit.

Fredward

Scholar
I was hoping when they got bought that they'd get an actual marketing budget but nah. I feel like it's borderline impossible to hear about this game unless you already know.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was hoping when they got bought that they'd get an actual marketing budget but nah. I feel like it's borderline impossible to hear about this game unless you already know.
I don't think they got bought, only the Expedition license got sold to THQ Nordic

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom