Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

F.3.A.R. v.s. Thi4f

Wulfstand

Prophet
I.C. Wiener said:
Not sure if you're seriously, but it's japanese for 'it is'. And it's spelled sort of like Deus, so you see it's a hilarious multilingual pun that only worldly enlightened individuals like us are privy to.

Yes I was serious, thanks for the answer. Never really was interested in asian languages, or anything related to them for that matter (except for the Berserk manga), mostly because of the constant decline it was going through, what with their barely recognizable men, their fucking music, and all that, which is a pity, since they seem to have quite the interesting history and culture.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Also Deus Ex's 3 publisher is Square Enix and according to the first trailer it's getting turned into a retarded jap shit - so Desu Ex.

DriacKin said:
MetalCraze said:
The fact that Eric Brosius - arguably the most important man on Thief team - will not work on Thiaf - proves that the game will be a horrible consolized piece of shit.
Well, it's not like the previous Thief game was anything more than a 'consolized piece of shit.'

The main problem of it was the size of the levels and ugly-fied UE2. Apart from that it had some redeeming qualities.
Godlike Brosius' sound, The Craddle, stealth was still an important gameplay element and combat was still as bad for Garreth as it was.
So it was a decline compared to previous Thieves, but still pretty ok.

Here we are talking about the real, nextgen dumbing down. Read which games are brought as inspirations for thiaf.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
MetalCraze said:
Godlike Brosius' sound, The Craddle, stealth was still an important gameplay element and combat was still as bad for Garreth as it was.
So it was a decline compared to previous Thieves, but still pretty ok.

I'm currently playing Thief 3 and yes, combat is even more useless for Garrett than it has been before. In Thief 2 I managed to kill single guards in open combat easily - in Thief 3 open combat means losing about half of my health, and if it's more than one enemy I'm most likely dead.

If they make Garrett more proficient in combat in Thi4f, it'll be shit. Hiding in shadows, sneaking up from behind and knocking enemies out, not getting spotted... that's what Thief is about. Turning it into an action game would be the worst possible thing to do.

Heck, the Thief 2 mission where you have to infiltrate the guard headquarters and weren't allowed to knock out more than 5 guards was one of my favourites.

Lothers

Scholar
It will be like AC2 with stealth from SC, and some cool moves from POP...

SHIT. SHIT. SHIT.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
MetalCraze said:
Melcar said:
It's amazing that people still join.

Why not? Codex today is like ESF, except besides being retarded you can also post retarded shit and not get banned.[/quote

BRO BE THANKFUL THAT IS THE ONLY THING THAT KEEPS YOU HERE I MEAN I KNOW YOU ARE FETAL ALCOLHOL CAUISE OF THE UKRAINE THING BUT YOU COULD AT LEAST BE MODEST ABOUT IT

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO IF YOU HAD 9/10 CODEXERS PLAY FALLOUT OR TORMENT THEY WOULD CALL IUT POPAMOLE TRASH NEXT GEN SHIT SUCK FAGGOT NOTHING LIKE NWN OR BG

Black Cat

Magister
I hope the rumor is true and instead of playing as Garret you play as that girl from Thief 3's ending, his adopted daughter or apprentice or whatever it was, in Thi4f. The butthurt would be delicious, and the nerdrage would shake the pillars of heaven.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I'm not going to consider "Thi4f" canon. As far as I'm concerned the series ended with Thief 3. Thus, I have the luxury of not giving a shit about this stupid fucking crap.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Black Cat said:
I hope the rumor is true and instead of playing as Garret you play as that girl from Thief 3's ending, his adopted daughter or apprentice or whatever it was, in Thi4f. The butthurt would be delicious, and the nerdrage would shake the pillars of heaven.

And preferably, she should have cat ears, amirite.

Multi-headed Cow

Andyman Messiah said:
As far as I'm concerned the series ended with Thief 3.
It probably should end with Thief 3, it ended the series nicely. I like the Thief setting though so I wouldn't mind other games in it. Possibly an RPG.

Multi-headed Cow

BURRICK RUSH KEKEKEKEKKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE
T1-sketch-burrick.jpg

Tails

Arbiter
When I had time recently, I played Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell, and that sort of thing, to really understand what makes those franchises as good as they are.
I wonder if by Splinter Cell he means Chaos Theory or Convicted.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Luzur

I came back when someone asked about dark and sick or twisted games, or something, some time ago. I was passing through, saw it, and comented on Tecmo's Deception series. It was going to be a one post affair, coming back from the dead to post about almost unknown games and then going back to the underworld but i kind of stayed, though i do not post as much as before. Why, missed me? :3

@ DraQ

TES? You mean, like, Morrowind? I have have actually tried some of the older ones for a short while before, and have been playing with the idea of trying either a heavily modded morrowind or a really, really heavily modded oblivion for some time since i love first person dungeon crawling, was told both were good at that when very heavily modded, and there isn't really a lot on the market that does that with relatively new graphics and stuffs, but those threads with bloody huge lists of recomended mods and in which order to load them for the universe not to break down are staggering and totally uncomprehensible for me. :(

Edity Edit: Rewrote all cases of Heavy Modded as Heavily Modded. Brain fart, sorry.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Black Cat said:
I have have actually tried some of the older ones for a short while before, and have been playing with the idea of trying either a heavily modded morrowind or a really, really heavily modded oblivion for some time since i love first person dungeon crawling
Morrowind doesn't need heavy modding (or any modding at all) to be enjoyable, though the dungeon crawling is not its strongest point. Oblivion is pretty hopeless on many points, modding or no modding, but the dungeon crawling is one of its strongest points if you could fix some of the other flaws associated with the activity (namely the level scaling, the skill system and the too-fast respawning). The problem with picking Oblivion mods to fix these things is that each fix is different and none of them are anything like vanilla (not that you'd want them to be in this case...) so which one is the right one is a matter of personal preference, and that's something you can only determine by trying them out. FCOM is probably the best but installing it is a long task (though not as hard as people make it out. You just need to follow the very detailed instructions EXACTLY right). If you like challenge then FCOM's the one to use. Go here if you want more info about it. Otherwise you could just get Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul (which is already included in FCOM) by itself, it's not as all-encompassing as FCOM but it'll completely eliminate the level scaling.

DraQ

Arcane
Black Cat said:
@ DraQ

TES? You mean, like, Morrowind? I have have actually tried some of the older ones for a short while before, and have been playing with the idea of trying either a heavy modded morrowind or a really, really heavy modded oblivion for some time since i love first person dungeon crawling, was told both were good at that when very heavily modded, and there isn't really a lot on the market that does that with relatively new graphics and stuffs, but those threads about lists and orders of mods to use on them are staggering and totally uncomprehensible for me. :(

Morrowind is perfectly playable vanilla (but patched) or with minor set of fix/rebalance mods. Maybe some better bodies or somesuch too, but I wouldn't bother with head replacers (tend to heavily change the actual looks, rather than quality only) or any world mesh/texture replacers (most are shit and break atmosphere).

If I had to make a semi-essential mod list it would be:

Morrowind Code Patch.

Wakim's Game Improvements modular
Better bodies
LizTail's new beast bodies

There, not too daunting I imagine?

Of course there are tons of minor fixes and various mods that actually add stuff, but many additions are not lore-correct, which, as you can imagine, is pretty debilitating for a lore and exploration game.

Of course, some are great and lore correct, like Polish only Hagge Island or currently WIP Tamriel Rebuilt.

The problem is that stealth, while useful, is very underwhelming and poorly realized in this game.

Of course, it's not a game for you if you expect interesting characters, vivid storytelling or an airtight ruleset. It's a game of lore, exploration, worldbuilding and atmosphere.

Oblivion doesn't even start to become less brain damaging 'till you install several gigs of mods, and even then, it's inclination to give you a brain ulcer drops off very slowly.

edit:
Sceptic said:
Black Cat said:
I have have actually tried some of the older ones for a short while before, and have been playing with the idea of trying either a heavily modded morrowind or a really, really heavily modded oblivion for some time since i love first person dungeon crawling
Morrowind doesn't need heavy modding (or any modding at all) to be enjoyable, though the dungeon crawling is not its strongest point. Oblivion is pretty hopeless on many points, modding or no modding, but the dungeon crawling is one of its strongest points if you could fix some of the other flaws associated with the activity (namely the level scaling, the skill system and the too-fast respawning).
Of course, if we are discussing dungeon crawling as game's strength, Daggerfall simply grabs Oblivion by the neck and feeds it cock 'till it dies.

I'd probably rate Morrowind's crawling higher too, TBH, if only because of exploration involved and handplaced goodies hidden away in almost unreachable places.

In any case, there is not a single thing, except for ability to poison weapons and characters wandering about, that Oblivion wouldn't do infinitely worse than at least one of its prequels.

It's simply an excruciating, banalshitboring romp through a bowdlerized Middlearth themed theme park.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
well, oblivion is what little todd always dreamed about and he havent changed much since then

Talonfire

Scholar
Being a big fan of the first two Thief games in particular I'm not too happy about Thief 4 Thi4f. I thought that the series ended on a relatively good note with Thief 3 even if Thief 3 was not as good as its predecessors. The fact that one of the developers is looking at what made Assassin's Creed successful for inspiration is particularly troublesome. Other than Altair being some sort of assassin version of Garrett (though far less interesting) what exactly does AC have in common with Thief? They're two completely different types of games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom