Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Factorio - a factory building game - Space Age expansion coming October 21st

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tried several more runs, I can get to zone ~15 pretty consistently if I try (and I scum for a good first zone) but not a single attempt where I managed to complete a mission and unlock a warp tech. Problems include:

The mission I did to get the factory floor unlock before now required 213 steel, instead of 153 repair kits. Not having invested 1000+ iron in useless steel, I couldn't get it.

The mission to power the reactor now requires 8 steam engines running full blast for 100 seconds, instead of like, 1 for 50. Despite massively overpreparing for what I expected the challenge to be, I ran out of ammo at about 80% charge.

Runs where every 3rd level was either ocean or barren, preventing me from gathering any fucking resources.

Magical fucking biter swarms of 50+ out of nowhere after total radio silence or packs of 2 at a time for 10 minutes, utterly overwhelming my defenses. Got to watch them despawn in front of my eyes after killing me. That's GOT to be some scripted horseshit.

Respawning to get spawn camped by my own fucking turret, now under enemy control apparently. Sure, that seems fair why not.

Having the warp start itself with a 1 minute countdown when I'm 3 minutes away from the base looking for a mission site.

:rage:

The concept is so fucking compelling, finding critical random technology unlocks by doing challenging missions on random worlds. But you just constantly get dickpunched when you do anything except farm iron to replace ammo for like 4 minutes and then move on. It takes like 2-3 zones to amass enough resources to attempt a mission and then if it fails you're back to square one with nothing saved up except now the enemies are scaling faster. And now that I've got a handle on the early game it feels really fucking tedious to keep doing it after a run is ruined. When played properly basically nothing interesting happens for the first hour or so.

That's what I like about this game. There is always a trade off for choosing a primary goal, and secondary goals must suffer.

Look forward to trying this soonish.

My only gripe with factorio is the inability to "stack" conveyor belts or pipes. A third dimension to build would be nice. No other 3D automation / "factory" has the depth of factorio though.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Finally got another run going with the basement unlocked. Abusing it much, much harder this time, with power generation, ore smelting, and automated (ish) science all crammed in there to be used until I run out of steam at the end of each zone. I'm now certain there some hidden variation of biter spawn rate in each zone. I've had zones where I can walk around for minutes and find like 3 nests show up later than zones where I can find 3 giant nest clusters on the same screen the same distance away. Just a few zones past unlocking the basement so far and haven't been able to properly abuse it to gather resources yet because of the string of hell worlds, but I've got stockpiled resources and now really just need one good warp where I can haul in thousands of ore and coal and climb the hell out of the vanilla tech tree.

7leG7GT.jpeg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom