Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 1-2 builds

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Nothing like some proper Codex banter.

Ryan muller

Educated
So, ive recently made a sucessful thief run with this build:

S - 05
P - 07
E - 02
C - 03
I - 07
A - 08
L - 08

Traits: Finesse and Kamikaze

Tags: Sneak, Lockpick, Steal

Perks:
L3 - Earlier sequence
L6 - More criticals or pack rat
L9- More criticals
L12 - More criticals or TAG (Tag barter if you do so)
L15 - Pickpocket

The idea of this build is trying a mostly non lethal approach, while also not relying on save scum. You will have to plan where to steal from people and when to do so, Steal is usually underwhelming, but it does buff your modifiers to lift heavy things, so tag it and level it up to 100%, 100% is enough for your buffer, its also better to have it at 100% instead of 80% because some shelves and tables can be stolen and they check your steal skill (such as Buster's Shop, in which you have to pass a steal and sneak check in order to sucessful steal from the shelves)

Luck is important because criticals are the actual buffer for steal chances, since stealing pretty much depends on critical sucesses in order to work, which is also the reason why i go for finesse and more criticals.

Kamikaze + high perception + earlier sequence is in it to avoid savescum shitbags, if you fail to steal, dont reload. youll have 2 turns to run from your enemies, you can also finish combat turns while in sneaking mode if you get far away from your enemies. do it

It was a cool playtrought. i got banished from VC and NCR hated me at the end, but i stole quite a lot from San fran, broken hills and VC (before i got banned), i managed to get a bunch of dynamite and used it in order to assasinate some people during quests for the families in New Reno, finished at level 16, managed to kill horrigan with super stims and ended the game with 6 kills in my killcount

jakkis

Educated
Ok guys, last build, then I'll leave you be. Thanks again everyone for the valuable input confirming my biggest fears, you need to crit or you suck. With that in mind I'm refining my big guns build. Bear in mind, this is written by no AI, maybe no I at all. Here goes:

You know what's better than an SS-trooper? An SSS-trooper! That's right, this trooper is built for Shooting, Sneaking and Sexing. I call him "Sexmaster Ron".

Sexmaster Ron is really Gifted in his sex department, and despite being short, ugly and smelly, there's something strangely Appealling Sexually about him:

S05
P09
E06
C02
I07
A10
L08

He's especially skilled at Sneaking up on folks and shooting his loads(of bullets)on them. Sexmaster Ron can accurately aim Small loads(of bullets) on peoples' groin and faces and can also conjure up major Big burst loads(of bullets) on them!

I heard you can't bank perks so:

Lvl3: Kama sutra master, of course, the best and only perk to pick
Lvl6: Bonus to his ranged loads(of bullets)
Lvl9: Better critical loads (of bullets)
Lvl12:Lifegiver
Lvl15:Bonus rate of fire for his loads(of bullets)

Now, Sexmaster Ron's success (in shooting his loads(of bullets)) breeds jealousy. He can get wrongfully accused of forcefully shooting his loads(of bullets) on some who presumably didn't want it. Post-apocalyptic society can also have laughable rules concerning who is old enough to get shot by Sexmaster Ron's loads(of bullets). It is therefore quite possible, even probable, that bounty hunters will come after Sexmaster Ron!

Bounty Hunters are LEVEL-SCALED :decline: and have Sequence 19 at lvl 13 and Sq20 at lvl 19. They will REK your SHIT. https://fallout-archive.fandom.com/wiki/Bounty_hunter_(Fallout_2) So at some point around here, Sexmaster Ron will want Earlier sequence to shoot his loads(of bullets) before the enemy, otherwise he can end up killed.

Lvl18: Earlier sequence for his loads(of bullets). This could have been taken earlier, but there were more important perks to take. Like Kama sutra master.

Hopefully Sexmaster Ron has been playing evil and losing out on quest rewards as well, so he's also getting close to the military base and the Green memory module by now, and can up his PE to 10 as well at some point.

Lvl21: Bonus ranged damage /sequence/action/depending/whatever

Lvl24: Sniper

There. Nothing should stand up to two bursts of auto-crit end-game big guns (with 2* Bonus damage to boot!) , so Fast shot isn't necessary, and you retain the ability to snipe at eyes just for the hell of it, and also to save ammo if a burst isn't necessary.

This is the ultimate F2 experience. Quote Conan, what is best in F2? "To kill children, have sex, and shoot massive crit eyeshots and burst shots"

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Ok guys, last build, then I'll leave you be. Thanks again everyone for the valuable input confirming my biggest fears, you need to crit or you suck. With that in mind I'm refining my big guns build. Here goes:

You know what's better than an SS-trooper? An SSS-trooper! That's right, this trooper is built for Shooting, Sneaking and Sexing. I call him "Sexmaster Ron".

Sexmaster Ron is really Gifted in his sex department, and despite being short, ugly and smelly, there's something strangely Appealling Sexually about him:

S05
P09
E06
C02
I07
A10
L08

He's especially skilled at Sneaking up on folks and shooting his loads(of bullets)on them. Sexmaster Ron can accurately aim Small loads(of bullets) on peoples' groin and faces and can also conjure up major Big burst loads(of bullets) on them!

I heard you can't bank perks so:

Lvl3: Kama sutra master, of course, the best and only perk to pick
Lvl6: Bonus to his ranged loads(of bullets)
Lvl9: Better critical loads (of bullets)
Lvl12:Lifegiver
Lvl15:Bonus rate of fire for his loads(of bullets)

Now, Sexmaster Ron's success (in shooting his loads(of bullets)) breeds jealousy. He can get wrongfully accused of forcefully shooting his loads(of bullets) on some who presumably didn't want it. Post-apocalyptic society can also have laughable rules concerning who is old enough to get shot by Sexmaster Ron's loads(of bullets). It is therefore quite possibly, even probable, that bounty hunters will come after Sexmaster Ron!

Bounty Hunters are LEVEL-SCALED :decline: and have Sequence 19 at lvl 13 and Sq20 at lvl 19. They will REK your SHIT. https://fallout-archive.fandom.com/wiki/Bounty_hunter_(Fallout_2) So at some point around here, Sexmaster Ron will want Earlier sequence to shoot his loads(of bullets) before the enemy, otherwise he can end up killed.

Lvl18: Earlier sequence for his loads(of bullets). This could have been taken earlier, but there were more important perks to take. Like Kama sutra master.

Hopefully Sexmaster Ron has been playing evil and losing out on quest rewards as well, so he's also getting close to the military base and the Green memory module by now, and can up his PE to 10 as well at some point.

Lvl21: Bonus ranged damage /sequence/action/depending/whatever

Lvl24: Sniper

There. Nothing should stand up to two bursts of auto-crit end-game big guns (with 2* Bonus damage to boot!) , so Fast shot isn't necessary, and you retain the ability to snipe at eyes just for the hell of it, and also to save ammo if a burst isn't necessary.

This is the ultimate F2 experience. Quote Conan, what is best in F2? "To kill children, have sex, and shoot massive crit eyeshots and burst shots"
Impressive autism!
I approve.

jakkis

Educated
managed to kill horrigan with super stims and ended the game with 6 kills in my killcount
Wait what, you sneaked next to Horrigan and pumped him with 100+ super stims? That is most awesome, monocle's off to you sir!

Ryan muller

Educated
managed to kill horrigan with super stims and ended the game with 6 kills in my killcount
Wait what, you sneaked next to Horrigan and pumped him with 100+ super stims? That is most awesome, monocle's off to you sir!
This is a quite common strat for non-lethal builds, you come close to him with high sneak and use a bunch of alcohol to lower his perception, then you get really close and spam a bunch of super stims, walk away and wait him to die.

Ryan muller

Educated
Yeah, I'm calling bullshit on that one.
How'd you even deal with the turrets?
They only attack you after he dies. with high sneak you can sneak at him without triggering his first dialogue, which means he will not even attack you, nor the turrets (which only trigger after his death).

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Interesting...
I never played a Sneak build ever.
Always thought it didn't work properly, or does it just require you to have like 200+ skill in Sneak?

Ryan muller

Educated
Interesting...
I never played a Sneak build ever.
Always thought it didn't work properly, or does it just require you to have like 200+ skill in Sneak?
Sneak works properly in Fo2, in Fo1 is a bit harder due to how the detection routine works, basically, in Fo1 you almost never will be able to get on front of your foes without being detected. in Fo2 however, with something like 180 Sneak, you can walk at their face, laugh at them and they will not notice.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Does it work in random encounters?
For example, you activate Sneak on your turn and put some distance between you and your enemies.
Will they eventually lose track of you?

Ryan muller

Educated
For example, you activate Sneak on your turn and put some distance between you and your enemies.
you can walk away from your enemies in sneak mode and close combat when not in detection range in both games

Jigby

Augur
impressive dedication
d14.png

Jigby

Augur
impressive dedication
d14.png
Funny thing is that the throwing build (Nerd commando style, using flares) is much more painful to play with than this build, i did one playtrought with that idea, never again. the PTSD is strong on that one
Well, my favorite build in FO2 is actually One Hander + Throwing for the first half of the game and on lvl 13 transition into Alien Blaster. :)

I did have carpal tunnel doing the superstimpak thing on Horrigan though, I think it took me about 140 of them. That's a lot of clicking even with hotkeys. Only did it once, never again...

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
you can walk away from your enemies in sneak mode and close combat when not in detection range in both games
Sounds pretty cool.
I see some real potential for sniping...

Jigby

Augur
I did have carpal tunnel doing the superstimpak thing on Horrigan though, I think it took me about 140 of them. That's a lot of clicking even with hotkeys. Only did it once, never again...
Funny thing, at one point I thought about doing a noncombat kill via radiation. Basic idea was to create a radiation event, then lower stats below one and then have the game kill the critter (kinda like the player is killed if some stat is below one AND the player is irradiated). The good news is, there actually is a function in the game for creating radiation events on non player critters. Unfortunately, it's never called in-game :) Not that you could use that on Horrigan, since there's that 10 minute timer...

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Funny thing, at one point I thought about doing a noncombat kill via radiation. Basic idea was to create a radiation event, then lower stats below one and then have the game kill the critter (kinda like the player is called if some stat is below one AND the player is irradiated). The good news is, there actually is a function in the game for creating radiation events on non player critters. Unfortunately, it's never called in-game :) Not that you could use that on Horrigan, since there's that 10 minute timer...
You mean bathe an area in radiation?
Can that even be done?

Jigby

Augur
Can that even be done?
Nah, I did it with irradiated food. It increases the radiation count, but it doesn't create a radiation event (doesn't create on critters) which is the important part - that's where the stats are checked.

but it has its issues, some of which are solved in FO2, and Et Tu adopts some of them.
What issues does it adopt in your opinion?
Hi Lexx.

I mean the solutions are done by FO2 and Et Tu adopts some of them. Some problems of FO1:
- The ammo modifier engine bug which is solved in FO2's iteration of the engine.
- The game simply isn't hard enough, especially the endgame. FO1's mutants are kinda sad compared to the FO2 Super Mutants, who are some of the hardest enemies in the game (bellow only Enclave Patrols and other endgame mobs)
- Larger diversity of weaponry for builds. Like how the first Fallout is pretty much a Small Guns >>> Energy Weapons show. Et Tu is closer to Fallout 2 in the regard that Small Guns hold up better in the endgame (because the ammo modifiers work + the ammo modifier mod + FO2 guns) and there are more options for other skills.
- Better CNPC management (through to be fair, NPCs in the original game are pretty much a hack)

My only problems with Et Tu right now are a lack of a simple Purist switch (essentially, activate option and the game plays like the original Fallout without any FIXT or Team-X patch additions or FO2 items), you have to deactivate things manually, and that Et Tu doesn't have a "Laser Patch" to fix how bad lasers are in FO1 (AFAIK FIXT actually has one).

The former would make it into the definitive OG Fallout experience. Right now I recommend newbies to first play the original game out of the box with the hi-res patch then Et Tu in second plays. Kinda similar to how I always recommend people to play FO2 with Killap Patch and only touch Restoration Patch on replays.

The later would really help regarding game difficulty, because lasers in both Fallouts suck real bad due to almost all armor post-Leather having insane laser resists - and a good chunk of the late game enemies in the first Fallout use Laser Rifles and Gatling Lasers. This includes practically the entire Brotherhood of Steel, a lot of Super Mutants in Mariposa and The Cathedral, The Lieutenant and even The Master, who would be a way scarier opponent if his dual laser gatlings actually were able to scratch the paint off Hardened Power Armor. It would also make lasers into a more interesting weapon option.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Can that even be done?
Nah, I did it with irradiated food. It increases the radiation count, but it doesn't create a radiation event (doesn't create on critters) which is the important part - that's where the stats are checked.
Right.
I forgot the Fruit you find is slightly radiated if you eat it.
Also does it actually heal you?
I remember not being healed by it at all in Fallout 2.

Lexx

Cipher
and that Et Tu doesn't have a "Laser Patch" to fix how bad lasers are in FO1 (AFAIK FIXT actually has one).
Actually Fixt broke the game even more with their "laser patch". Basically making power armor useless in the endboss fights (since both Master and Lou use Gatling Lasers), and Tesla Armor became the strongest armor to wear.

I actually did changes in ettu to make lasers fun again .... I nerfed the plasma rifle. It uses double the ammo now + has half the range as before (imo still too big of a range). What's funny about this is that nobody noticed any of those changes yet, which tells me that I should have went even harder on it. That said, the laser rifle is more of a sniper energy rifle, so you need the apropriate perks and crit chance for it. Personally I stopped using the plasma rifle a long time ago and only go with the laser rifle. Plasma is simply lame as shit.

Regarding super mutants, you can increase their amount of hitpoints and basically turn them into the Fo2 mutants. By default, ettu super mutants already have double the hitpoints now (except the bosses).

My only problems with Et Tu right now are a lack of a simple Purist switch
This kind of contradicts everything you wrote, though. You say ettu has adopted flaws from Fo1, but then you want a switch that makes the game exactly like Fo1 at all times? It can only be either or.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
and that Et Tu doesn't have a "Laser Patch" to fix how bad lasers are in FO1 (AFAIK FIXT actually has one).
Actually Fixt broke the game even more with their "laser patch". Basically making power armor useless in the endboss fights (since both Master and Lou use Gatling Lasers), and Tesla Armor became the strongest armor to wear.

I actually did changes in ettu to make lasers fun again .... I nerfed the plasma rifle. It uses double the ammo now + has half the range as before (imo still too big of a range). What's funny about this is that nobody noticed any of those changes yet, which tells me that I should have went even harder on it. That said, the laser rifle is more of a sniper energy rifle, so you need the apropriate perks and crit chance for it. Personally I stopped using the plasma rifle a long time ago and only go with the laser rifle. Plasma is simply lame as shit.

Regarding super mutants, you can increase their amount of hitpoints and basically turn them into the Fo2 mutants. By default, ettu super mutants already have double the hitpoints now (except the bosses).

My only problems with Et Tu right now are a lack of a simple Purist switch
This kind of contradicts everything you wrote, though. You say ettu has adopted flaws from Fo1, but then you want a switch that makes the game exactly like Fo1 at all times? It can only be either or.
I fucking KNEW they screwed up the Power Armor.
So that's why I was taking so much damage when fighting the Lieutenant...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom