Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 1-2 builds

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Even without the exploit, the player could increase the perception three times in Fallout 1 (I even linked you to the page that gives extensive info about the trait that temporarily raises the PC perception stat under specific circumstances, I guess you could use some good old Mentats my friend), a bit less in the second game, right after leveling up so they can select the aforementioned perk.
Also implants

If you start with 4 PER you can get +1 by Gain and then +1 by implant

If Kamikaze is selected, this nets 6x2 +5 = 17, which is not bad at all

Ryan muller

Educated
Even without the exploit, the player could increase the perception three times in Fallout 1 (I even linked you to the page that gives extensive info about the trait that temporarily raises the PC perception stat under specific circumstances, I guess you could use some good old Mentats my friend), a bit less in the second game, right after leveling up so they can select the aforementioned perk.
Also implants

<20 sequence = shit

Forgot about Kamikaze.
Actually worth it with a melee build (since you don't need AC, as you'll more than likely get hit anyway).
Kamikaze is always worth it, some few AC wont save your ass
I'm not sure on this, but don't enemies sometimes go for called shots? In theory AC should either mean they do so less often or miss more often when they do.

Yeah, Et Tu with the ammo fixes and new weapons changes the game quite a lot

Et tu is the FO2 engine port right? Do you like it?
I like it, but it isn't just an engine port. It's more like what you'd consider a recreation of FO1 in FO2. Not in that areas or quests are changed but in overall balance, weapon availability, etc.

Also implants

<20 sequence = shit
Bro just hold down the A key.

Ryan muller

Educated
Forgot about Kamikaze.
Actually worth it with a melee build (since you don't need AC, as you'll more than likely get hit anyway).
I'm not sure on this, but don't enemies sometimes go for called shots? In theory AC should either mean they do so less often or miss more often when they do.

I like it, but it isn't just an engine port. It's more like what you'd consider a recreation of FO1 in FO2. Not in that areas or quests are changed but in overall balance, weapon availability, etc.

Also implants

<20 sequence = shit
Holding down A wont give me two sequential turns against an enclave patrol

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Forgot about Kamikaze.

Also implants

<20 sequence = shit
Immediately pressing A after getting a random encounter is actually useful if you want to strike first and want to avoid getting hit.
Or you can just try to run away (if you could not avoid the random encounter).

Ryan muller

Educated
Forgot about Kamikaze.

Also implants

<20 sequence = shit
Immediately pressing A after getting a random encounter is actually useful if you want to strike first and want to avoid getting hit.
Or you can just try to run away (if you could not avoid the random encounter).
Striking first skips sequence's extra turn

My idea is having two sequential turns not just hitting first

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yeah, but it can still be useful if you are not confident you can handle the random encounter and want to retreat.
Those marauders with SMGs and Assault Rifles random encounters early in the game are not fun to deal with.

Yeah, Et Tu with the ammo fixes and new weapons changes the game quite a lot Click to expand...
I like it too, but agreed.
Et Tu feels like an expansion pack for FO1, the same way Restoration Patch feels like an expansion pack for FO2. It shouldn't be played first if you are a noob and never played FO1, if you want to experience the game the closest to the 1997 experience, I recommend just playing the patched version from GoG.
Et Tu should be left for replays, because FO1 is a great game, but it has its issues, some of which are solved in FO2, and Et Tu adopts some of them.

Its pretty configurable, so if you want, you can make it pretty purist.

jakkis

Educated
Haven't played in many many years, now for something completely different: no small guns (tag, weapons are ok) or sniper perk! (F2)

S5
P8
E2
C6
I6
A9
L4

Fast shot, one-hander
Big guns, not speech, not lockpick

Perks:
Lvl 3&6: None, until you get the scan In NCR for LK, then 2*Bonus ranged damage
Lvl 9: bank
Lvl 12: 2*Lifegiver to offset EN2
Lvl 15: Mutate!

Build finished, yay! Bozar or vindicator should do enough damage with 2*BRD even without LK10&Sniper or does anyone disagree? No 2000+ damage criticals but tried to think of something that doesn't rely on crits.

Ryan muller

Educated
Haven't played in many many years, now for something completely different: no small guns (tag, weapons are ok) or sniper perk! (F2)

S5
P8
E2
C6
I6
A9
L4

Fast shot, one-hander

Perks:

Build finished, yay! Bozar or vindicator should do enough damage with 2*BRD even without LK10&Sniper or does anyone disagree? No 2000+ damage criticals but tried to think of something that doesn't rely on crits.
you shouldnt bank perks, once you reached another perk level, you lose the ability to choose the last one.

aside from that, this works, but theres no reason to not get Better crits at L9, it will buff damage anyways.

Why mutate btw?

Jigby

Augur
Bozar or vindicator should do enough damage with 2*BRD even without LK10&Sniper or does anyone disagree?
From what I remember, even with 2*BRD Bozar still can't do pointblank kills with a single burst against APA Enclave. Neither can Vindicator. So BRD is not that useful for Big Guns - Bozar wrecks everything pre-APA even without it, and against APA it's not good enough, you still need armor bypassing.

I think BRD is most useful for small guns bursts, SMGs etc. There the difference is qualitative - you can take out the Redding mines even with a 10mm SMG with 1+ ranks of BRD. Zero chance of doing that without it. P90c should also benefit.

No 2000+ damage criticals but tried to think of something that doesn't rely on crits.
Yeah, that's just the HP bloat of FO2, you either have to go for the damage criticals, or for status effect criticals.

jackofshadows

Magister

S5
P8
E2
C6
I6
A9
L4

Fast shot, one-hander

Perks:

I cleared Enclave with big guns 2*BRD no sniper but it was a rather massive chore/abusefest. Not recommend, especially with 2 END and no sneak. I'd easily go for energy wep with this premise and w/o fast shot ofc. You'd still need 2 action boys ofr sure in addition to pull that off, lots of kiting, possibly again: sneak use. Then again, if you want challenge, you'll get it (I assumed you aim for Enclave clear, right?). Plus I used to go solo almost all the time so maybe cas/Vic/skynet(?) will make a huge difference with all those gauss shots.

Overall it looks wonky as shit anyway. I'd change for at least getting 10 luck (10% is still 10%), more END at the expense of PER and take sneak, farm 2 action boys. Then go.

jakkis

Educated

S5
P8
E2
C6
I6
A9
L4

Fast shot, one-hander

Perks:

you shouldnt bank perks, once you reached another perk level, you lose the ability to choose the last one.

aside from that, this works, but theres no reason to not get Better crits at L9, it will buff damage anyways.

Why mutate btw?
Mutate is to remove one-hander into gifted when you find your first big weapon. One-hander is to help with the tedium of the early game with non-tagged HtH and small guns skills. 9 ap would suffice for 3 magnum shots and maybe 2 p90 bursts. Then a strategic mid-game shift to st:6 and ag:10 for a big gun (5ap burst).

Of course wouldn't stop playing at lvl 15, Bonus RoF and action boy, Bonus move etc would follow.

I thought F1 couldn't bank perks and F2 could but maybe it was a mod.

This is all theorycrafting, and I'm happy for the feedback, really disappointed that criticals seem to be needed for end game kills.

Might just change into fast shot with GIFTED (boo hiss), Tag small AND big guns, and pump up the LK for cutting of cookies.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Bozar or vindicator should do enough damage with 2*BRD even without LK10&Sniper or does anyone disagree?
From what I remember, even with 2*BRD Bozar still can't do pointblank kills with a single burst against APA Enclave. Neither can Vindicator. So BRD is not that useful for Big Guns - Bozar wrecks everything pre-APA even without it, and against APA it's not good enough, you still need armor bypassing.

I think BRD is most useful for small guns bursts, SMGs etc. There the difference is qualitative - you can take out the Redding mines even with a 10mm SMG with 1+ ranks of BRD. Zero chance of doing that without it. P90c should also benefit.

No 2000+ damage criticals but tried to think of something that doesn't rely on crits.
Yeah, that's just the HP bloat of FO2, you either have to go for the damage criticals, or for status effect criticals.
I like Bonus Ranged Damage.
You take it twice for a nice +4 damage bonus on EACH of the bullets you fire. This is a great choice for Burst builds for this reason.

Jigby

Augur

I like Bonus Ranged Damage.
You take it twice for a nice +4 damage bonus on EACH of the bullets you fire. This is a great choice for Burst builds for this reason.
Well, I do like it on small guns + fast shot :)
[Edit: Although, as far as big guns go, I'm mostly thinking about bozar/vindicator. Don't know how useful it would be for a regular minigun. But bozar is so easy to get in FO2...]

I thought F1 couldn't bank perks and F2 could but maybe it was a mod.
Banking is not possible in either vanilla FO1/2 and it is possible in both if you have sfall installed. It's an old feature, even the very old versions that are packaged on Steam/GOG have it (although only FO2 Steam/GOG is prepackaged with sfall, not FO1)

Last edited:

jakkis

Educated
Ok guys, new build! This is a little contingent on cheating and having sfall and banking perks, but oh well.

Yo dawg, I hurrd u like eyeshots, so I pumped crit chance to 99% so you can shoot people in the eyes OR punch people in the eyes.

S04
P07
E04
C01
I06
A10
L08

One-hander, finesse
Small guns, unarmed, something(sneak?)

No gifted and One-hander give you maXimum skill ASAP to start eyeshotting folk with shots OR with punches ASAP

Perks:
L6: 2 times moar crits

Now you have 60(eye shot) +10 (finesse) + 10 (or 8 LK) +10 (perks) + 4 (hidden secret 95% to-hit chance crit bonus) = 94% (or 92%) crit chance to eyes. Not bad for low level and bypassing finesse's -dmg

L9: better crits
L12: Lifegiver
L15: Bonus ranged attacks
L18: Bonus HtH attacks
L21: more crits, 99% chance now

Boom, that should be enough for end-game damage. Start with a pistol and spiked knuckles, end with power fist and gauss pistol. I even upped EN for you guys :-D

Point in the build this time around was that after trying to get around finesse's -dmg, I thought it would be funny to use regular crit chance for melee AND ranged combat. F2 is a LONG game and even longer with mods so if you should happen to get bored with one attack try switching it around. Surely you won't have both skills at 150% right away but you'll get there

Last edited:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I'm late to the party but a great FO2 build is a Gifted/Fast Shot set-up. You lose the ability to aim but by mid game you can have 12 action points + bonus rate of fire, letting you shoot things like the Gauss Rifle or the Pulse Rifle 4 times in one round. This, along with Better Criticals and/or or More Criticals, will have you absolutely wrecking shit. You will not care that you cannot aim. And when you get Sniper, the game is just retardedly easy -- you'll be landing multiple crits in a row for 3 AP each, it's fucking nuts.

Plop into the Enclave Power Armor and give Sulik a super sledge, and you're doing just fine.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'm late to the party but a great FO2 build is a Gifted/Fast Shot set-up. You lose the ability to aim but by mid game you can have 12 action points + bonus rate of fire, letting you shoot things like the Gauss Rifle or the Pulse Rifle 4 times in one round. This, along with Better Criticals and/or or More Criticals, will have you absolutely wrecking shit. You will not care that you cannot aim. And when you get Sniper, the game is just retardedly easy -- you'll be landing multiple crits in a row for 3 AP each, it's fucking nuts.

Plop into the Enclave Power Armor and give Sulik a super sledge, and you're doing just fine.
I liked your Baldur's Gate 2 heavily autistic analysis.

Ryan muller

Educated

Vindicator can do it, bozar cant, but its possible in two bursts

Its not a crap build all in all, i just think criticals make everyrhing better

Ryan muller

Educated

Fast shot is the shit in both Fo1 and 2, half of the game just melt after you reach L9

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom