Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fallout 3 'addicting as Jet sprinkled on an Iguana-stick'

FeelTheRads

Arcane
There's barely any options apart from moving and attacking, with the occasional called shot thrown in.

Ah, yeah, and VATS is more than that... how?

I should have realized that posting that in a forum filled with rabid Fallout fanboys was a bad idea

And, of course, the classic: "I knew this forum was filled with people who don't think like me, but I came anyway, I just couldn't resist and now I see they really don't think like me and I don't like it"

Well, fuck off, it's easy as that.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Oh shit! The combat in Fallout 1 and 2 is moving around and attacking and throwing an occasional called shot. It also lacked difficulty!
But with Fallout 3 it has changed! You now move around, attack and throw an occasional called shot (that takes the whole 10 fucking seconds to get completed) and there is absolutely no difficulty at all. Isn't it an awesome change?

Retard alert indeed.

Letum Fol

Novice
I think I phrased my first post wrong. The basic FPS combat looks ok, andIi'd take good real-time over bad turn-based any day of the week. What I was trying to say is that VATS is a great idea. Just think of the possibilities of being able to attack any part of the body. Attack the legs and the move slower, or even become crippled. Attack the hand and they're disarmed. Attack the chest, they stagger back a few steps. If it was combined with a "feats" system it'd be even better. Of course this is pretty pointless since Betethesda will fuck it up, but what's there is already better than FO1/2. And this is completely ignoring the crap roleplaying.

Nightjed

Liturgist
This is idiotic, they give them a quick fix, enough to get them hooked, then take it away before they start smelling the flaws.

almost every single game ive played the last few years had the Indigo Prophecy syndrome, the first hour of the game addicting, interesting, breath taking, and then once the "presentation" awesomeness wore off, with the usual drop in game quality as you advanced, you ended up with crappy zombie sex (mayor suckage).

how the hell can they say the combat rocks if they cant get a feeling of how fast it gets boring, all the descriptions ive read of VATS lead me to think that after the first few enter-room-and-blow-everyone's-head-off-in-1-action scenes it will get boring

Letum Fol

Novice
Darth Roxor said:
I should have realized that posting that in a forum filled with rabid Fallout fanboys was a bad idea

RPGCodex - Doesn't scale to your level.

Doesn't have next-gen graphics either. Ruins the immershun. :)

MetalCraze

Arcane
Letum Fol said:
Just think of the possibilities of being able to attack any part of the body. Attack the legs and the move slower, or even become crippled. Attack the hand and they're disarmed. Attack the chest, they stagger back a few steps

Attack the eyes and they won't see a shit. Attack the legs and they'll drop down to the ground during critical.
We already have this shit. Did you play FO at all?

VATS is a PoS in that that Beth even managed to castrate the called shot system in FO3. Don't be stupid. pleez

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Just think of the possibilities of being able to attack any part of the body. Attack the legs and the move slower, or even become crippled. Attack the hand and they're disarmed. Attack the chest, they stagger back a few steps.

Dude, are you fucking retarded? Couldn't you attack "any" part of the body in Fallout? In fact Fallout had more "any" parts since you could hit the groin area and the eyes. And weren't there effects depending on where you hit?

Nightjed

Liturgist
Letum Fol said:
but what's there is already better than FO1/2. And this is completely ignoring the crap roleplaying.
you can't compare turn based, stat driven, tactical combat with FPS or FPS with automated bullet time (because that what VATS is), you simply cant, two complete different kinds of games, its like trying to compare any Super Mario with Warcraft 3

and ignoring the "crap roleplaying" ? isnt it supposed to be a roleplaying game ? werent they hyping oblivion because you could LARP like an idiot ? until bethesta comes out of the closet and say : "yeah, we did make a FPS, not a RPG" the roleplaying aspect does matter.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
FeelTheRads said:
And weren't there effects depending on where you hit?
Yep. If I remember correctly they were:

Head: Extra damage.
Eyes: Extra damage, chance of blindness/loss of accuracy.
Body: Nothing special, just standard damage.
Arms: I think it causes them to drop their weapon or weaken melee, affects accuracy? Not too sure, never used arm shots that much.
Legs: Chance of knocking them down, can't move as far in combat.
Groin: Chance of knocking them down or out cold, gives combat descriptions that provide many lulz.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Shooting the arms lowered accuracy, shooting the legs raised the APs needed to move

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Arm shots only lower acc.? Guess I was confusing them with critical misses which do cause you to drop a weapon occasionally.

MetalCraze

Arcane
No no Fat Dragon is right. They indeed dropped weapons when shot in arms (afaik due to crit dmg) and they indeed dropped to the ground when they were catching a crit dmg for their legs.
Groinshot was an ultimate cheat. Knocking out the opponent cold for quite a number of rounds.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
The damage descriptions for groin shots made it worth it though. Now that I think more on it, didn't every targeted shot have a chance to knock the enemy down for a turn or two?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yeah. Except FO3 does not have eye- or groinshots. And no descriptions. Heh no video even shows the effects of called shots. Todd rapes human enemies with 2 shots (Though he can't rape a small robot with 2 rockets)

@Dark Roxor: that too. That's why I love FO's combat. Even realistic action games like OFP do not have that.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Well, but shooting the arms and legs could cripple them, which lowered accuracy in case of arms and raised the APs for walking in case of legs in addition to dropping weapons/dropping to the ground, I think.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
skyway said:
Yeah. Except FO3 does not have eye- or groinshots. And no descriptions. Heh no video even shows the effects of called shots.
Probably aren't any effects at all. A critical shot to the legs will probably just cause an enemy to run slower but with no change to the running animation. It'll look as if he's sprinting slower than a baby crawls. I think I read somewhere that you can shoot guns out of their hands though.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Fat Dragon said:
The damage descriptions for groin shots made it worth it though. Now that I think more on it, didn't every targeted shot have a chance to knock the enemy down for a turn or two?

Head and groin: chance of knock out/concussion/winded

Legs: chance of knock down/crippled more AP for movement

kinetic sledgehammer et al: chance of knock back/down

eyes: chance of blindness

arms: chance of dropping weapons/reduced accuracy/more AP for firing weapons(?)

Why exactly do you all try to argue with the troll? And more importantly: why do you fail so miserably?

:declineofthe:

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Re: Fallout 3 'addicting as Jet sprinkled on an Iguana-stick

The analogy is quite fitting, even if probably unintentional.

Fallout 3 is as addicting as Jet sprinkled on iguana-on-a-stick!

But iguana-on-a-stick IS PEOPLE! IGUANA-ON-A-STICK IS PEOPLE!!!

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
Darth Roxor said:
Also, I don't care about 'sticks going through a man's skull and still miss', because it happens only at the beginning, in the later parts (when you have 60+ in your attack skill) you hit rather frequently, and I don't know how exactly could they make the 'miss animation' look better, and if they REMOVED the miss mechanics totally, it would be the same level of retardation as aforementioned Hellgate: Blowdom or Oblivion with its grand nevermissing bows.

The to hit roll is literally the only thing that redeemed this game for me. Well, art direction was nice too.

Mareus

Magister
Well, it's always interesting to see someone disagree with majority, although his arguments were quite funny.

Solohk

Scholar
Letum Fol said:
ust think of the possibilities of being able to attack any part of the body. Attack the legs and the move slower, or even become crippled. Attack the hand and they're disarmed. Attack the chest, they stagger back a few steps.
Ignoring FO and FO2 since they aren't shooters, locational damage has been in tons of FPS's. The only thing new about VATS is that it interrupts gameplay and removes player skill from a shooter. WAT?

Letum Fol said:
since Betethesda will fuck it up
They sure will. They can't even make games in their own series that are near as good as the one they follow.

Armacalypse

Scholar
Oh, for fuck's sake. You are as retarded as the console fanboys defending the RP in Oblivion and JRPGs.

Combat in Fallout 1-2 is more simplistic than any shooter out there. It's like Doom but without the action, and it's as deep as the conversation wheel in Oblivion. It requires neither thinking nor reflexes.
But isn't that what you want anyway? A purposely bad combat system making combat all about the skill of the character, and leaving player skill or intelligence out of it?

But the combat system in Fallout 3 might actually be better (for good or bad...), since it might atleast require some player skill, in the form of reflexes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom