Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 - Codex Opinions Thread

Chefe

Erudite
el75h5.jpg

20pu2p3.jpg

There. Thread over.

1eyedking

Erudite
Phantasmal said:
I have an opinion too!

This game is absolute ass, Fallout or not. I just wasted over 3 hours trying it out, enough was enough. I was close to starting up an LP thread for it, but I can't take anymore of the terrible shooting mechanics, lifeless dialogue/faces and boring everything. Peggle Nights is even more fun than this shit, uninstall and delete time.
I like you.

Drakron said:
Also I agree that quest is easy and "impossible to fail" but consider this ... you need 25 skill on explosives and chances are your skill is not high enough when you get the quest.
Actually, it is extremely probable since Repair is one of the shootman class' skills.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
First minutes of the game, small guns: 30
a9gl3.jpg

Yes, I ripped off heads of 90% of guards of of of of of (and then killed overseer. All at lvl 1 with a small pistol)

Bloody mess skill. This guy got a one bullet from a gun in the head. One. Just one in the head.
b8gb6.jpg

And don't listen to retards from codex who say this game is better than Oblivion. IT IS NOT, because IT IS OBLIVION. I even dare to say IT'S WORST Than fucking oblivion, because there is even less things to do.

Not worth even 1$.

A user named cat

Andyman Messiah said:
I was also considering starting an LP, in video. There's so much shit and gamebreakers to comment on just during the tutorial. But I stayed my hand, because you should like the game at least a little if you want to do an LP. And I have FF7 to finish anyway.
FF 7 <3

Will always have a soft spot for that game, despite its problems and dull areas. I saw on ebay original copies of it go for a good chunk of money, should sell mine since using ePSXe is way better than using a real PSX anyway. Got to love those sexy save states.

1eyedking said:
I like you.
You should like me, I spread your Witcher mod fix last year. People are still somehow finding it, I don't even remember where I uploaded it for either. Hell, I don't even remember what it did exactly.

http://files.filefront.com/1eyedkings+Language+Fixrar/;9235209;/fileinfo.html

About the gore you're showing Konjad, it really is screwed up. Even without bloody mess, I blew officer Parker's head off clear across the room from a ranged head shot with a damn 10mm pistol.

To add onto that scene and my previous mention of how bugged this game is: soon as I murdered Parker, Amira (or whatever the girl's name was) ran out of the room and then the overseer began to attack me. Suddenly we struck up a calm conversation, but I just wanted to kill him for acting like it's 1984. So we finish up chatting, go back to fighting it out and I bash his head in (more like baseball bat clip through his face). I then talk to his daughter, who is cowering and hiding way down the hallway huddled in a corner.

She whines that I killed her father RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER. She was far down the hallway, out of sight and didn't see a thing! I mean, how did she even know I killed him? For all she knew, we could've talked it out.

Oh and one more goofy thing to mention; if you choose to fist fight with the Snakes, after it's over and they head to the classroom you get free shots on them. I continued punching a few of them in the back of the head and they kept walking into the room like nothing was happening, only repeating the lines ''You'll regret that". OH? Then do something about it punks.

Heresiarch

Prophet
THIS SHIT IS FUCKING RIDICULOUS. Does Todd Howard some fucking crazy scat fetish or wut????

screenshot4vk3.jpg

ElPresidente

Novice
After a heavy night of beer and mexican food I reckon my toilet would be giving off 18 rads a second too. :P

A user named cat

Forgot to ask, I'm almost sure it's been mentioned some; did anyone else notice the main menu music sounds like a Total War game? I half-expected a background movie of Roman soldiers trotting around instead of the black Stormtrooper in his massively contrived NASA mask.

Virtz

Educated
Drakron said:
Also I agree that quest is easy and "impossible to fail" but consider this ... you need 25 skill on explosives and chances are your skill is not high enough when you get the quest.

Granted that you only need a level up to fill the requirements and complete the quest and yes, the player house certainly comes from Oblivion (were they added then because House Mods were popular in Morrowind) and yes, its given way too soon but still its not as "walk from Vault 101 and get a house and a butler robot", I think its bad design in many areas but still I realize not everyone will get it within the first hour of the game the first time they play it.
Actually, mentants can handle that. Hell, Mr. Burke will even give them to you if you say you'll arm the bomb (although I think I recall picking some up in 101 anyway). The only reason I didn't blow it up within the first hour was easily accessible shop, an endless money quest and extra XP and equipment for the pretty easy Moira quests.

So if you had no intention of blowing up megaton or didn't care about extra money and XP, you could get a DLC-like cheat within the first hour without any real skill requirement.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Drakron said:
Granted that you only need a level up to fill the requirements and complete the quest and yes, the player house certainly comes from Oblivion (were they added then because House Mods were popular in Morrowind) and yes, its given way too soon but still its not as "walk from Vault 101 and get a house and a butler robot", I think its bad design in many areas but still I realize not everyone will get it within the first hour of the game the first time they play it.
Well, apart from what Virtz just said, it's just a little much. I mean, in a game where you have to find a bed that isn't owned, wouldn't a simple shack with some shelves to store supplies have been enough? You could have gotten the robot later, through a guest, by fidning spare parts, using your repair skill. Lots of options there. And the purified water just shits all over the setting.
You know, getting the city of Megaton virtually unlimited access to purified water could have been a quest with major impact, you know? It's just so terribly cheap. It makes more sense in Tenpenny Tower, illustrating the different quality of living.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
James D. Weller left the vault with a friend in tow, an immortal champion of justice and liberty.
That man was Ron Paul.
This is the tale of the journey of his hideous mutant son.

mini-ScreenShot31bmp.jpg

mini-ScreenShot1bmp.jpg

This discovery as a child led to Ron Paul Jr becoming a doctor. He has since delivered over 4000 babies, all of whose mothers died in childbirth.

mini-ScreenShot9bmp.jpg

The tyrannical reign of the Overseer frightens Ron Paul Jr, as it reminds him of the dictatorships of the Warlord Bu$h and his immediate successor Sarah Palin. However, he is puzzled that his father chose to flee instead of standing up to the oppressor.

mini-ScreenShot11bmp.jpg

It's good that, in this blighted wasteland, some people still recognise the face of a true American hero.

But Ron Paul Jr has another agenda in his search for his father, one for which the old man fought all his life. The hunt for neocons, and administering swift justice upon them in the name of America.

mini-ScreenShot12bmp.jpg

mini-ScreenShot15bmp.jpg

mini-ScreenShot16bmp.jpg

mini-ScreenShot30bmp.jpg

Though the enemies he found were varied and deadly (note: they were neither varied nor deadly), he found none whom he could comfortably call a neoconservative. That is, until he stumbled across a shack in which a young black woman was brutally bound and enslaved, and standing over her...

mini-ScreenShot33bmp.jpg

Ann Coulter.

mini-ScreenShot34bmp.jpg

EAT 10MM, FAUX NEWS SHILL

Ron Paul Jr hears the "Enclave" on the radio, purporting to be all that remains of the United States government. But are they true, patriotic Americans as they claim? Or are they the vile sheeple followers of the military-industrial complex which his father set out to combat? Only time would tell.

mini-ScreenShot18bmp.jpg

mini-ScreenShot20bmp.jpg

From the sounds of things, this "Galaxy News Radio" stops just short of endorsing the RNO PUAL RE[LOVE]UTION. No coincidence, then, that his father seems to have made his way there...

In Megaton, Ron Paul Jr finds a pedophile. One with a kickass scoped magnum. After agonizing over the decision for a while, Ron Paul decides that since the man is not selling his gun, he is getting in the way of the Free Market. And that must be prevented at all costs.

mini-ScreenShot22bmp.jpg

mini-ScreenShot23bmp.jpg

rip

mini-ScreenShot25bmp.jpg

mini-ScreenShot26bmp.jpg

mini-ScreenShot27bmp.jpg

Sounds like neocon propaganda to me. I'll be coming back for you, old man. Sometimes, when dipping into the toolbox of liberty, one must come out with an axe.
Or something.

mini-ScreenShot32bmp.jpg

Though he may have opposed the war with Canada, Ron Paul supports our troops. Shortly after this screenshot was taken, the last remaining bald eagle in the world flew in and perched on his shoulder, weeping silently.

mini-ScreenShot37bmp.jpg

Ron Paul finds a friend. Judge Knapp once overturned a Minnesota law, finding that pet ownership was protected by the Constitution, so our hero feels at ease taking on this poor creature.

mini-ScreenShot41bmp.jpg

In the hunt for neocons, we must delve into the darkest, dirtiest corners of the world. This is their territory. This is where they nest.

mini-ScreenShot17bmp.jpg

Ron Paul Jr finds himself faced with a dilemna. The town of Megaton is clearly plagued by the neocon mindset, but would blowing it up be Constitional? He cannot rightly tell.

Please, people of the Codex, advise this true American on what to do.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
That picture with the dog... jeez, even there they've put the three obvious dialog choices. Does every dialog has them?
And let me guess, if you scroll down the next option appears: "Rip his head off"?

Also "American is the greatest country on Earth" ?

Heresiarch

Prophet
Is there any way to turn off the fucking quest reminder? I don't really mind the quest compass this time (seeing as your pip-boy have a high-tech automap already) but every minute the annoying message pops out to remind me what to do. Shit I'm not suffering from amnesia goddarnit.

And I can't help but lolled so hard when I play on Very Hard and find Raiders can withstand 8 headshots from my hunting rifle. Granted it's even worse in FO1 and 2 where enemies can survive EYESHOTS, but the repeated slow motion zoomed-in headshots with VATS look so hilarious here.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Heresiarch said:
Is there any way to turn off the fucking quest reminder? I don't really mind the quest compass this time (seeing as your pip-boy have a high-tech automap already) but every minute the annoying message pops out to remind me what to do. Shit I'm not suffering from amnesia goddarnit.

You're forgetting for whom this game is.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just played it, and... well, meh. Have just entered the first "dungeon" [some old raider-occupied school] and the combat is completely unexciting. It's like a bad shooter. I always take cover and let my action points recharge for VATS because without VATS, it's horrible to hit something. The combat in this game is quite the failure.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Impressions plus a Question

My initial impressions:
(very initial, I've explored Megaton and am on my way to the super duper market or whatever the fuck it is called)

Game performs okay. It auto selected "High" and it's still all smooth as Fez' buttocks. Mind you, I have a GF 9600GT and 3.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2. I can play Crysis on max, I'd be a little disappointed if I couldn't put things reasonably high for this game.

The character creation/beginning stuff in Vault 101 is ...interminable. I was so fucking bored that it was almost a relief when I accidentally hit a "civilian" with my baseball bat, thus making me an enemy. I then decided "in for a penny, in for a pound" and proceeded to kill everyone I could find. Before that I was trying so hard to be a nice guy. Oh well.

Slightly disappointed in the "big reveal" when I stepped out of the vault. My first instinct was "woah...brown, familiar style...Morrowind!" Impression improved as I travelled. Megaton seems to be nicely designed.

As noted by others, still the typical Bethesda problems with 3D animation basics - people walking into each other and moon walking on the spot against walls etc. Hell the first thing the characters in front of me did in the Vault birthday scene was to walk into each other and then walk into me until I was pushed up against a wall.

Dialogue is about average. As noted by others, it is pretty jarring that you can ask people questions about stuff that your character wouldn't have knowledge of yet. That stuff should've been noticed in any basic QA walkthrough. Have noticed some accent change weirdness etc in some spoken dialogue, but nothing like Oblivion's complete voice change shenanigans.

Initial Conclusions:
Despite the above complaints, so far it definitely feels more engaging than Oblivious.
VATS is okay. I imagine I will get sick of the slo-mo shit though (is it possible to turn that off?). Disappointed that I don't seem to be able to target areas with my sledge hammer. I want to be able to cripple my enemies before the coup de grace. Anyway, looks like melee sucks, which is unfortunate as that is all I'm good at right now.

A Question:
So, I sided against the geezers who want to blow up megaton. This resulted in the Sheriff and I confronting the sleazy suit guy and a fight ensues.
The Sheriff gets his ass capped but I still managed to kill the suit guy.
A big message says I've fucked my chances of blowing up Megaton (I presumed that would be the case), but what are the repercussions of having the Sheriff killed?
Have I cut off some quests there as well?
Have I removed my chance of getting a Megaton dwelling?

Edit: well, that big ass pic up there sure fucks up the formatting.

vrok

Liturgist
Too many favorable impressions in this thread so I'll go as I've completed it.

The main quest is written by a 12 year old through and through.
End "slider" is a joke.
Most (90%+) side quests are stupid.
Dialogs are stupid.
Monsters are braindead.
Combat is ridiculously easy.
VATS is even worse.
AP regen is insane.
Gore is stupid.
Humor is stupid.
Choices are stupid.
Consequences are practically non-existent, as in far less than any Bioware game (which suck at it).
Repair system is decent.
Hacking mini-game is better than most mini-games.
Ron Perlman is awesome.

All in all, worse than Mass Effect or any other Bioware game in every possible way but slightly(!) better than Morrowind. So my score lies somewhere between meh and terrible. Mehrible? Something like that.

(And no, I never once compared to an actual Fallout game or any other actually decent RPG since this one isn't a Fallout game at all. I can barely even compare it to a Bioware game without choking.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom