Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 3 isn’t as bad as you think...

lightbane

Arcane
What about the Little Lamplight place full of kids in the middle of a monster-infested hellhole? That place only existed because the kids knew they were immortal.
F3 is full of retard writing indeed, and F4 got worse. No wonder fans of these two consider the show good.

Yosharian

Arcane
I honestly don't know if the writing got worse in FO4, it's equally retarded I think, but FO4 has some things that aren't so bad such as Far Harbour whereas I cannot think of a single moment in FO3 that was well-written

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Fallout 3 took a huge shit on Harold. What's he doing in Washington D.C.? Why did he mutate in to a full tree? Why did he become a tree god? Fallout 3 your first game and have no idea who Harold is? Burn him alive because he's helpless. That whole area was complete ass.
I think that just built on the end slides for Harold from Fallout 2 that say:

You still hear mention of Harold from time to time. Apparently, the tree growing from his head has gotten larger, and if rumors are to be believed, fruit is growing from it. The seeds are said to be remarkably tough, and several of them have taken root even in the most barren stretches of the wasteland

The odd thing is Harold being on the east coast.

Last edited:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I think that just built on the end slides for Harold from Fallout 2 that say
Right, but if you were going to build upon that, is that the route you would have gone? That Harold would now be a large tree in the middle of a grove, worshipped as a tree god? With the option to murder him?

Lemming42

Arcane
The Oasis quest is one of my favourites in the game. He's become a tree because the mutation that was already underway in Fo2 has worsened and spread throughout his body, rooting him in place and causing him to painfully merge with the ground. He's being worshipped as a god because his mutation is causing verdant trees and plants to grow nearby. So the wastelanders (some of them, anyway - most of the cult doesn't actually regard him as a god, and are aware that he's just a horribly disfigured man) started to worship him, despite his protestations and pleas to be euthanised. One of the cult's leaders is a true believer who thinks Harold is a capricious god, the other is more in touch with reality and wants to harness Harold's unique mutation to try and revitalise the flora of the capital wasteland at the cost of keeping Harold in perpetual suffering.

It's one of the more interesting bits in the game since there's a real moral dilemma there, The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas style. Keep Harold in agony to benefit the wasteland, or agree to his wishes and help him commit suicide, keeping the wasteland barren and unlivable. The dialogue - and Stephen Russell's performance, which feels very close to Charlie Adler's - makes it still feel like the original Harold to me, albeit slipping in and out of lucidity due to the severe nature of his medical condition. I think the only real stretch is that Harold's inexplicably now on the East Coast along with everything else from the first two games, but in terms of how they actually use him, it's one of the game's better quests.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I honestly don't know if the writing got worse in FO4, it's equally retarded I think, but FO4 has some things that aren't so bad such as Far Harbour whereas I cannot think of a single moment in FO3 that was well-written
I don't understand people who like FO3 and claim FO4 is retardedly written.

Yes, FO4 isn't a writing masterpiece or anything, but compare it to FO3 and its world actually makes a lot more sense.
There are factions with actual bases of operation that have actual goals that kinda, sorta make sense. In Fallout 3, all the factions are retarded and make no sense. Especially side factions and minor settlements. You could argue about the Institute's motivations being kinda stupid, but compare that to FO3 where the central conflict is about who gets to use a water purifier that everyone wants to use, and where there's a city of kids, and a guy in a tower who wants to nuke a city because it ruins his view, etc etc.

Fallout 4 has a more believable world than Fallout 3. It even has some places that look like they're producing food, which is sorely missing from FO3. The settlement building mechanic (which I ignored because I don't care about building settlements in an FPS) is all about that.

Some people claim Fallout 4 ruined the lore, but these same people are fine with Fallout 3.
Honestly, FO4 feels more like Fallout than FO3. The Brotherhood of Steel, when it appears, is closer to the original vibe than whatever the fuck FO3's goody two-shoes wasteland paladins were. The amount of lore rape perpetrated by FO3 is astronomical. Nobody can seriously claim that FO4 violated the lore worse than FO3. It's physically impossible.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
There are factions with actual bases of operation that have actual goals that kinda, sorta make sense. In Fallout 3, all the factions are retarded and make no sense. Especially side factions and minor settlements. You could argue about the Institute's motivations being kinda stupid, but compare that to FO3 where the central conflict is about who gets to use a water purifier that everyone wants to use, and where there's a city of kids, and a guy in a tower who wants to nuke a city because it ruins his view, etc etc.
The Lamplighters, the vampire cult, and so on were all incredibly ass in Fallout 3. In addition to the vampire cult, the settlement where the quests start didn't make much sense to me. You look around the Bethesda games with the big raised bridges, very few of them are standing. You'd think the people there would have to scrounge around to live, right? You can't really grow food on top of a bridge. So, I would assume they've noticed most of the other bridges collapsed. So, they continue to live up there? Sure, it's easy to defend since it's up high, but you're all dead once that thing falls anyway.

I can't imagine a good explanation for Megaton, honestly. Pretty much everyone that lives there knows exactly what that thing is in the middle of town, yet they built walls around it and moved in anyway. To make matters worse, they know it's leaking radiation, and still live there. So yeah, pretty retarded. I honestly don't think I've ever seen anyone defend this as anything other than a really stupid idea.

Rivet City also makes no sense. Sure, easy to defend, but that thing is still floating in the harbor there. It's not beached or grounded. It's floating. Wait, did I say it's easy to defend? What I mean is that it's easy to defend until someone with a rocket launcher pops a rocket in to the hull near the water line.

Yeah, Fallout 3 had a lot of really bad locations.

Cologno

Educated
Yeah, fandom culture in general veered way into "fuck off" territory a long time ago.

9ted6

Educated
Can't forget how Fallout 3 canonized aliens and the cthulhu mythos to the setting either.

One thing 4 did worse if I remember was that it canonized the aliens as having manipulated everyone into starting the war.

Fargus

Arcane
One thing 4 did worse if I remember was that it canonized the aliens as having manipulated everyone into starting the war.

Now it looks like they retconned it into vault tec starting the war because it's good for business to kill most of the earth's population. *honk-honk*

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
The Lamplighters, the vampire cult, and so on were all incredibly ass in Fallout 3. In addition to the vampire cult, the settlement where the quests start didn't make much sense to me. You look around the Bethesda games with the big raised bridges, very few of them are standing. You'd think the people there would have to scrounge around to live, right? You can't really grow food on top of a bridge. So, I would assume they've noticed most of the other bridges collapsed. So, they continue to live up there? Sure, it's easy to defend since it's up high, but you're all dead once that thing falls anyway.

I can't imagine a good explanation for Megaton, honestly. Pretty much everyone that lives there knows exactly what that thing is in the middle of town, yet they built walls around it and moved in anyway. To make matters worse, they know it's leaking radiation, and still live there. So yeah, pretty retarded. I honestly don't think I've ever seen anyone defend this as anything other than a really stupid idea.

Rivet City also makes no sense. Sure, easy to defend, but that thing is still floating in the harbor there. It's not beached or grounded. It's floating. Wait, did I say it's easy to defend? What I mean is that it's easy to defend until someone with a rocket launcher pops a rocket in to the hull near the water line.

This is explained very easily.

As we know, bethesda is known for its trademark "ignore the main quest, fuck around and do stuff" type of gameworld design.

This affects developing process: firstly one team of devs creates the world, settlements, sidequests, and then the main quest with all necessary stuff is slapped upon it.

F3 is no exception. Only it was originally developed as a prequel, happening like 50-70 years after the war.

Then, after this part was done, some of the big ups (probably the midget himself or that dead kike who was their CEO) sees the product and demands that F3 should have all "necessary" trademarks of Fallout - BoS, Enclave, muties, etc (and giant FUCKING robots of course).

Other development team then includes all this stuff into the game despite it making no sense and these elements having no place in the prequel Fallout.

To solve this issue, they go the laziest way and just move the timetable two hundred years forward, without paying attention to things that were created for the prequel game.

This creates massive narrative dissonance as you have stuff designed to happen in very different eras.

This is also confirmed by the fact that the writing, quest and gamedesign quality jumps wildly all over the place. I would go on a limb and say that F3 has some decent quests and characters, but then it has some of the most abysmal creations the game industry has ever produced. And it is obvious that good stuff is mostly in side content area while grotesque abominations are in or related to the main quest.

With this in mind, it is seen very clearly what parts were of earlier development as a "prequel game" and what parts were slapped onto later.

F4 then just embraced the misshaped setting of its predecessor

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
What about the Little Lamplight place full of kids in the middle of a monster-infested hellhole? That place only existed because the kids knew they were immortal.
Little Lamplight is merely one of many examples of the muddled chronology of Fallout 3, which slaps together concepts that would make sense about two years after the nuclear apocalypse with ones that are aiming at two decades post-apocalypse, ones that appear to be about five or six decades later, and ones that actually make sense for the ostensible two centuries that have passed. For the kids in Little Lamplight, imagine that the adults supervising the trip died shortly afterward for whatever reasons, the kids sheltering in the cave managed to scrape by, and as the older kids reached the age of 18 one by one they were exiled by the rest. This could correspond to other elements of Fallout 3, such as edible packaged pre-war food that can be scavenged from ruins, that only make sense if a sharply limited amount of time has passed since the bombs fell. Other aspects of Fallout 3 correspond to greatly varying times relative to the nuclear war, so that for example the main quest about a water-purification device that had been constructed before the player-character's birth would make sense if two decades or so had passed, the back-stories of settlements such as Rivet City and Tenpenny Tower imply perhaps five or six decades have passed, and the development of a faction such as the Brotherhood of Steel requires the full two centuries.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Then, after this part was done, some of the big ups (probably the midget himself or that dead kike who was their CEO) sees the product and demands that F3 should have all "necessary" trademarks of Fallout - BoS, Enclave, muties, etc (and giant FUCKING robots of course).
I have a feeling that they planned to have all this stuff in there, or at least most of it, from the very beginning because they can't help themselves but to include all the stuff they just recently acquired, like a little kid on Christmas morning. I would have to think they wanted to set it in Washington, D.C. so they obviously needed to have The Enclave there, right? Because it's the Capitol Wasteland!
To solve this issue, they go the laziest way and just move the timetable two hundred years forward, without paying attention to things that were created for the prequel game.
I think you're absolutely right about them sliding the timeline around. A sliding timeline explains a lot of the scenarios they present in the Wasteland, particularly those that have existed since early on after the war to when the game has been set in a fairly stable fashion. I'm sure we can ignore the fact that Rivet City probably would have realistically sunk, but it's hard to ignore that someone might have TRIED to sink it. The Lamplight thing is obvious that it wouldn't have lasted for over a decade, let alone two centuries. It really makes no sense that they would kick kids out when they reached 16 and manage to still have a population there. The only thing that would make sense is that this location were a lot earlier in the timeline and the kids should be young adults or kick out adults at an older age.
Can't forget how Fallout 3 canonized aliens and the cthulhu mythos to the setting either.
Leaving "aliens" ambiguous was probably one of the more brilliant ideas in Fallout 2. People think Wanamingos might be aliens, but no one has any idea for sure and it's obvious that if they were alien, they weren't the ones flying the ships that brought them here.
This could correspond to other elements of Fallout 3, such as edible packaged pre-war food that can be scavenged from ruins, that only make sense if a sharply limited amount of time has passed since the bombs fell.
I believe there's an edible fungus you can find in the cave, but it's been decades since I played Fallout 3. The big problem with that is such a special fungus would have taken some time to develop to the point of it being sustainable for a small colony of kids. It would have to develop after the bombs because nothing like that exists now. Also, good luck getting kids to eat something like that in the first place. In the meantime, before the fungus developed, what did they eat?

laclongquan

Arcane
Little Lamplight doesnt get us discussed much about because it's a horrifying idea once you think about it. Where does the kids come from? How the hell do they survive off cave fungus and scavenged stuffs? The unendurable answer just keep coming if you keep asking. So we dont talk about it. Do we know about it? Yes. Do we want to talk about it? No. The whole damn thing scream of "Bright Idea but not enough writers to fill it."
(The most obvious scenario would be Paradise Falls slavers attack Rockopolis after Dashwood time, capture adults, kids run away to LL, survivors run to Big Town, but it doesnt sound COOOL to them)

Rivet City make sense. You complain about SM with missile (valid) but they are a recent nuisance that close to RC. Note that Dad can go to Jefferson Memorial alone, rooting about the place, making audio tapes and then left without apparent worry. So the SM that close to RC is after he left. VERY VERY recent happening.

Megaton doesnt make sense, true. But the damn thing has religious element to it. So if you dig deeper into it will create unnecessary headaches for devs and game reputation. FFS! Japan version has problem with megaton and the whole detonation thing. I am not saying it's not logical. It is not. But to fill that hole would require more writers and the whole F3 thing scream of lacking competent writers.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Little Lamplight kids should have been cannibals. When the kids 'come of age', they get taken into a dark room and slaughtered.

That would have been Fallout

Vormulak

Learned
Edgy
Little Lamplight kids should have been cannibals. When the kids 'come of age', they get taken into a dark room and slaughtered.

That would have been Fallout
It wouldn't because it's still illogical. The first Fallout doesn't have giant plot holes, it's a believable and consistent setting.

Risewild

Arbiter
This affects developing process: firstly one team of devs creates the world, settlements, sidequests, and then the main quest with all necessary stuff is slapped upon it.

F3 is no exception. Only it was originally developed as a prequel, happening like 50-70 years after the war.

Nope, Bethesda's people over the years have been saying stuff like how they don't make design documents for their games (Emil said that IIRC). And that they just sit devs around a table and ask if anyone has anything they want to see in the game when someone suggests something Todd usually just says something like "Sure, you do that" (and I think this was said by Todd himself IIRC).

I remember when I watched a video about FO4's build a vault DLC with two developers of that DLC. They were asked how and why they came up with the idea for the player to build their own vault and the answer was something like "giggle giggle... Because how cool would it be to be able to build a vault!?". Basically, some dev thought just that, told Todd about it and the DLC was (most likely) instantly approved.

Lemming42

Arcane
Something definitely happened with the timeline in Fo3 during development because there's actual evidence of the game taking place pre-Fo1 in a couple areas (sadly, I can't remember what that evidence was, which I'm aware means I'm basically talking bullshit here, but trust me).

It seems like the shift to 2277 might have actually been relatively late in development. I get the feeling that many of the art assets and map locations, and some of the sidequests, were in place before the main quest. Setting it in 2277 is done almost entirely to service the MQ, pretty much every sidequests works fine - and makes more sense - if the game takes place 150~ years earlier than it does. Off the top of my head, the only sidequest that needs to take place post-Fo2 is Oasis.

It was definitely something to do with someone - Todd? - wanting to include the BoS, Enclave, and Super Mutatnts. Note how none of them really show up in any sidequest, and don't feel connected to the world as a whole. Super Mutants show up in Big Trouble In Big Town, but only as a generic enemy who could be replaced by human raiders with no effect on the plot.

lightbane

Arcane
What about the suddenly feral ghouls? Was there an explanation for that? As for LL, don't they take the kids from Bigtown, which is even more ridiculous? I didn't play the game, only watched the codex lp and some videos, but that was enough.

Lemming42

Arcane
What about the suddenly feral ghouls? Was there an explanation for that?
Fo3 goes with the explanation that ghouls are created from radiation alone, rather than FEV + radiation, so a good chunk of the population of Washington was ghoulified during and immediately after the war.

It's not clear what causes feralness but it's a process that happens gradually over time. There's some ghouls like Carol who were alive pre-war and are still sane, but others go feral much quicker. I think there's something somewhere that says that social isolation can make it happen faster, and that the odds of it go up over time, so it's essentially just dementia that's been exacerbated by radiation poisoning.

The real reason for their existence obviously is that they're just a generic melee enemy to populate dungeons. Never had a huge problem with it honestly, bigger fish to fry when it comes to jarring shit in Fo3.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I have a feeling that they planned to have all this stuff in there, or at least most of it, from the very beginning because they can't help themselves but to include all the stuff they just recently acquired, like a little kid on Christmas morning. I would have to think they wanted to set it in Washington, D.C. so they obviously needed to have The Enclave there, right? Because it's the Capitol Wasteland!
It is obvious that Enclave was crammed into the game quite late in the development.

If you look at Fallout 2, it has lots of foreshadowing before you actually meat Enclave in the flesh. You have crashed vertibird, comms at nuclear station, Horrigan encounter, New Rino arms deal...

F3 has none of this. There are no signs of Enclave in the game and then it just pops in and is present all around. And likewise, it had almost no connection to any of the side content, Enclave presence revolves mostly around main quest

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Nope, Bethesda's people over the years have been saying stuff like how they don't make design documents for their games (Emil said that IIRC). And that they just sit devs around a table and ask if anyone has anything they want to see in the game when someone suggests something Todd usually just says something like "Sure, you do that" (and I think this was said by Todd himself IIRC).
This doesn't contradict what I say.

So they have the concept of prequel game and play around with it, designing stuff for the given idea.

The concept changes and they start designing stuff for a new era without fixing or discarding the already made one

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom