Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fallout 3 nearly baked

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout 3

<a href="http://uk.pc.ign.com/">British PC IGN</a>(as if there's a need for a British specific version of IGN for the PC) has <A href="http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/861/861635p1.html?RSSwhen2008-03-24_153200&RSSid=861635">a preview-let</a> about <A href="http://fallout.bethesda.com">Fallout 3</a> being nearly completed. Since the rest of the world is hyping the 200 end scene thing, I'll point out this:
<br>
<blockquote>The podcast went on to talk about "Dog Meat", your artificial dog ally. The game allows you to team up with Dog Meat and one humanoid ally of your choosing. Any more allies and the game would get too hectic, asserts Howard.
<br>
<br>
It is possible to give Dog Meat fetch commands, but players shouldn't be too brash ordering Dog Meat around, as giving him careless orders could lead to his demise. "He has health and can die," said Howard. Bethesda is still tweaking Dog Meat's game play mechanics however, "We're playing with how much health does he actually have? How does he heal on his own? Do you have to heal him?" The team decided it didn't want to constrain players into constantly protecting Dog Meat, so Bethesda decided you had to be a real reckless player for him to die.</blockquote>
<br>
So, what's <b>Charisma</b> do in this game? Followers are fixed to one plus a dog, which is something <b>Charisma</b> determined in <b>Fallout</b>, so what does that attribute do now? Oh yeah, and "Dog Meat". Real original, guys!
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://ve3d.ign.com/">Voodoo Extreme</A>

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
But Saint Dear, all this nonsense, 200 endings, it's already done, Dogmeat has RAI, etc. etc. is all from the same podcast.

EDIT: wait, you guys never posted on the podcast? linkz

Micmu

Magister
So, what's Charisma do in this game?
You know that they'll find use for every stat, possibly as a simple modifier for countdown rate in minigames.
Bethesda is still tweaking Dog Meat's game play mechanics however, "We're playing with how much health does he actually have? How does he heal on his own? Do you have to heal him?" The team decided it didn't want to constrain players into constantly protecting Dog Meat, so Bethesda decided you had to be a real reckless player for him to die.
Same mentality which made PC start with 5x times the HP than any other NPC of the same class. RPG design gods.

Andhaira

Arcane
Who cares what they do. Seriously, a dog is MANDATORY??

WTF? I don'teven like dogs, being a cat person myself.

Fuck bethesda. At least give us the fucking option...I hope we can choose NOT to have the stupid mutt.

Lumpy

Arcane
Saint_Proverbius said:
So, what's <b>Charisma</b> do in this game? Followers are fixed to one plus a dog, which is something <b>Charisma</b> determined in <b>Fallout</b>, so what does that attribute do now?
Fallout 2, actually. And it was fucking stupid anyway. If you can't see what's wrong with that, ponder on "Uh, you're a bit crowded there. Tell somebody to GTFO if you want me to come" for a while.
Higher CHA should unlock certain companions, but the total number should be mostly unrestricted (except when it makes sense in the narrative).

Balor

Arcane
Well, I agree - simply liming followers by a stat (or 'dog and human', even "better") is stupid.
Indeed, some followers should join you only if you have enough charisma, and some followers refusing to join if you already have a particular member with you can also limit the party numbers from growing astronomical.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Lestat said:
I don't know whether I should laugh or cry about these professional journalists misspeling Dogmeat's name.

I don't know whether I should laugh or cry about these rabid fanboiz confusing Dogmeat with Dog Meat (which is a complete new, original character).

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
bozia2012 said:
Lestat said:
I don't know whether I should laugh or cry about these professional journalists misspeling Dogmeat's name.

I don't know whether I should laugh or cry about these rabid fanboiz confusing Dogmeat with Dog Meat (which is a complete new, original character).
Completely new and original, eh? Separate would be a better word. Anyway, my point still stands: if you are referencing a character, or ripping him off, or whatever, do it right. Dog Meat, my ass, what kind of a stupid name is that?

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Lestat said:
bozia2012 said:
Lestat said:

Completely new and original, eh? Separate would be a better word. Anyway, my point still stands: if you are referencing a character, or ripping him off, or whatever, do it right. Dog Meat, my ass, what kind of a stupid name is that?

I'm just teasing.

Anywayz I went off to gram.pl (which will be selling FO3 in Poland) and of course there's much rejoicing and fapping over "200+ endings". Every 10th post there's a discussion on permutations going on, but the 90% rest is happily ignoring it a posting shit "OMG! 200! IT HAS TOBE TUER!".

Oh, it's the same on all boards you say?

elander_

Arbiter
Lumpy said:
Fallout 2, actually. And it was fucking stupid anyway. If you can't see what's wrong with that, ponder on "Uh, you're a bit crowded there. Tell somebody to GTFO if you want me to come" for a while.
Higher CHA should unlock certain companions, but the total number should be mostly unrestricted (except when it makes sense in the narrative).

That may have been a compromise and not the best solution they wished to have. More character companionsare much more expensive to do than the rest. Just think about how many dialogs and talking head movies are needed for a character like Miro for example.

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
Andhaira said:
WTF? I don'teven like dogs, being a cat person myself.

That would actually be pretty cool to have some kind of badass wasteland cat companion. It could jump on people like a larval alien facehugger while you nail them in the groin with your sledgehammer. Awesome.

Lurkar

Scholar
bozia2012 said:
Lestat said:

The new "Dog Meat" makes me feel they're REALLY going out of their way, above and beyond the normal call of dickery, to piss off old Fallout fans. It's not even subtle anymore.

Either that or they're trying to appeal to the Deviant Art "ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL" group.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"I'm hungry. Got any food here?"
"Sure, got some tasty dog meat."
"Dog Meat OH MY GOD WHAT DID YOU DO TO HIM HE WAS MY COMPANION!"
"What? You have a piece of dog meat as your companion?"

dragonfk

Erudite
Reading about "Dog Meat" immediately reminded me about our dog feature in "Fable 2". Maybe there is some connection between those ideas, maybe Pip Boy in FO3 will be located on your mechanical dog friend? Who knows what sick ideas are born in Bethesda Softworks, only God and I dont think he's glad he does.

Edit: Or does the statement "artificial" means something else than the fact the dog is a robot?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Dogmeat is a junkyard mutt, pure and bred.

What Todd says is that he used his "radiant artificial intelligence" to follow the PC's commands

IGN kinda miswrote on going "artificial dog companion", but I dunno if they actually think it's a robot.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Eh.

I don't mind m'self, it's kind of a nod too Fallout, like Dogmeat was a nod to Mad Max. Actually naming him Dogmeat might be going overboard, but it's cool.

He looks like a terrier for some reason, unlike Max' dog. 'coz, y'know, Max's dog looked like this
Worthless_Mutt.jpg

slipgate_angel

Scholar
Douchfag Howard said:
The game allows you to team up with Dog Meat and one humanoid ally of your choosing. Any more allies and the game would get too hectic, asserts Howard.

I hope he means keeping two companions at a time, rather than running into two recrutable characters in the entire game, because I for one am a player who appriciates the company of many recrutable NPCs.

Would be kind of cool if, at least one of Bethesda's games were like Radiata stories or Suikoden, unfortinantly, they must not like allies in there games. :cry:

gc051360

Scholar
Lumpy said:
Saint_Proverbius said:
So, what's <b>Charisma</b> do in this game? Followers are fixed to one plus a dog, which is something <b>Charisma</b> determined in <b>Fallout</b>, so what does that attribute do now?

A person with a high charisma, would be more adept at handling relations between a large group. Keeping everyone happy, etc.

Section8

Cipher
The game allows you to team up with Dog Meat and one humanoid ally of your choosing. Any more allies and the game would get too hectic, asserts Howard.

Yeah, must be real hectic with two companions and two enemies, since that's all the game can handle on the screen at any given time. There's been maybe one or two FPSs since Doom that have been anything close to hectic, and Oblivion wasn't one of them.

He should just come clean. "Companions? Are you serious? Did you see how much of a clusterfuck Oblivion was anytime we tried to give you allies in a fight? You've never seen retardation in such a pure form."

Section8

Cipher
Also:

The games on paper when we get started…they’re alot smaller, and then as we go they get bigger…we can’t stop ourselves. We’re have tons of people with good ideas here, and if they’re good and fit the tone, we’re going to try to jam as much into the game as possible.

:lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom