Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3: Van Buren (Spoilers!)

hexer

They could have outsourced Caesar's Legion to the Age of Decadence team.

hexer

Good news! We got an offer from a professional voice actor so we should make a list of our talking heads. I'll start of by suggesting:

Presper
Hecate
ODYSSEUS
Diana
Hanged Man
Kurisu
Measles
Otto
Bear
Beatrice

hexer

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate! The basic layout for all the maps is done! This is a minor but very important milestone for the project.

167 map files in total, and when we include all the map elevations the number will probably go over 200. Also, there are additional 62 map files in that XP folder which are finished and will be in an expansion pack one day.

yub3zin.jpg

I find it very funny how BIS developers said that FO3 would be smaller than FO2.

Anyway, I have to go now. Updates might become less frequent. You might gossip about how I run away to a distant tropical island or even died while trying to squeeze ARGOS' sprite into FO2 engine. But I will be in a special (dark & comfy) place where good maps and even better art are made!

P. S. I have to spam my own thread because I can't edit posts :/

Last edited by a moderator:

hexer

ARGOS is damaged but still very tough. We'll try to implement all of his weapons so you can piss your pants once you encounter him. FOT behemoth is the most likely candidate for his sprite. I don't have a building-sized sprite :)
And it's probably for better that he will be smaller than intended since how can you get ambushed by a building-sized robot? This isn't Terminator 4 hehe

Crafting will probably be in but in what form I am not sure. I'm into maps and art at the moment so that will come later.

Feel free to contact us about writing when you get the chance!

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Technically ARGOS could just outrun you, it's probably much faster than a human on foot. Possibly even than a sports car, given its function was for Pre-War society. So I'd say ambush is more like "HOLY SHIT THAT THING IS FAST" kind of ambush.

Or it can tunnel like a sandworm.

EDIT: Also regarding the sprites, I think we shouldn't use sprites from FOT due to the clash they'd have with the regular FO2 sprites. Another thing is that we need to keep this game as a total conversion mod, or we have a dangerous random encounter with Bloodthirsty Lawyers.

Last edited:

hexer

Hmm, at the moment we don't have a critter artist so we have to rely on FOT sprites for some critters.
I know they're not exactly in the same style but there's nothing better out there right now. If we manage to collect some money one day, maybe we could pay someone to create us sprites we want to see.

Yeah, this is a total conversion mod.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Point is that adding stuff from FOT makes the mod part a bit more complex logistically. Just being cautious about it.

hexer

I know how to "fix" the perspective with Photoshop for FOT's art but I haven't tried it yet on any critters. I'll certainly give it a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

hexer

No update today, but I can say we're hard at work - me with Boulder Dome's maps and our writers with the main plot and intro text.

hexer

After busting inside the concrete Boulder Dome, the Prisoner is warmly greeted by a dozen cannibalistic Jackals who messed up the garage.

VsQB70Y.png

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Its a blonde woman critter

You have a bit too much scenery stuffed on one map, hexer - IMO. Lots of people do that mistake with too much clutter. The skeleton doesnt fit in, its from tactics or was it something fanmade? Too many different colours on it too, IMO.

hexer

what's wrong with the face of the spear wielding chick at the top?

She's obviously not very pretty :)

You have a bit too much scenery stuffed on one map, hexer - IMO. Lots of people do that mistake with too much clutter. The skeleton doesnt fit in, its from tactics or was it something fanmade? Too many different colours on it too, IMO.

Thanks for the feedback, surf. I'm aware of all the flaws in that screenshot - it will be improved!

hexer

Progress... The area is now much more similar to the rest of the map - Boulder Dome has a grey / teal theme.
Gone are the clashing colors and scenery meant to be used for outside maps.

tu8Temc.png

Kamoho

Savant
Now it seems a little empty, but it certainly looks much better.

Nice!
I assume there's some skill or clue-based way of finding out the existence of all these Jackals there? Dumping the player straight-in inside what seems to be tough combat situation might kill off a lot of low-level players (especially when one considers how non-linear the Van Buren map was supposed to be, more than the quite linear map of the two first FOs) and Ironmaners, and I plan to ironman it all the way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom