Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

You replaced New Vegas Fallout 1 and 2 music with Fallout 1 and 2 music? Shit, you're so edgy I can slice bagels on you.

NV still throws Zur's shit music at you all the time. In FO3 it was easy to replace the ambient tracks completely. In NV they changed the music "engine" or whatever. There still isn't a single decent mod that lets you fully replace the ambient tracks.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Jesus fuck...
I don't get it... FO3/NV UI was bad, but it worked, it gave you some info, you could see more than 3 items, etc... One of the most critiziced aspects of Skyrim was the ridiculous inventory.
So... Their solution is MAKE IT SMALLER.

What the fuck is going on?

smaller UI = more immersive

Humm.. maybe I'll be giving this game a pass after all.

I suspect I'd be having more fun playing Gone Home or Beginners Guide than this piece of shit (and the funny thing is I WANT TO make a day one digital purchase.. but this is just depressing).

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Please, they know the console ui will get modded out fairly quickly after release. AND before people start freaking out about the whole paid mods thing again, bethesda.net will not be the only source. Nothing will stop people uploading the esp file to Nexus, also, I think they realise that the community of sex mods is one that won't ever go away.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Once, there was a time...
CSZitwMXIAEHt2a.jpg:large

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
It was real nice back in the day, especially with Morrowind's mod support. Hell, you could even download free mods off Bethesda's site back then. Look at them now, $4.00 for horse-armor that should have been in the game in the first place.
By "now" you mean 10 years ago, right? The horse armor fiasco was closer in time to the release of Morrowind than the current day. And since then Bethesda DLC have been fairly meaty, unlike much of the rest of the industry.

To be fair, most of the NPCs in Morrowind had similar sets of topics to talk about.

Yeah, but a member of a town would have an utter crap-ton of info about the local area, important figures, nearby places to avoid, etc. Then you could trot five steps away and find someone with who the same topics might come up with different info. Maybe they're actually part of that guild, or they've heard something the other person hadn't, etc. Even the well for 'advice', 'rumor' and 'secrets' ran far far deeper than Oblivion's. If they mentioned a geographical term or landmark you wouldn't know anything about, there was likely a topic for it. "What the hell is a Foyada? I'm sure a scout could probably tell me, they know everything around here." The move to voiced acting tore out about 3/4 of the info a player would receive.

Lemming42

Arcane
Morrowind's dialogue was overly wordy and mostly very boring but even then it's preferable to HATE NEWSPAPERS.

The best comparison, though, would of course be the original Fallout games, which had dialogue for each NPC that was informative/funny/interesting without every being overly infodump-y.

CrawlingDead

Learned
By "now" you mean 10 years ago, right? The horse armor fiasco was closer in time to the release of Morrowind than the current day. And since then Bethesda DLC have been fairly meaty, unlike much of the rest of the industry.
I don't even support DLC, unless we're talking legitimate expansions. It's just extra money for them, and no, Bethesda does not offer anything substantial at all in their DLC content. A lot of the times, the DLC are things that should have been included in the game anyway. Just look at Hearthfire. Really? Five bucks to make a house? I guess time constraints prevented them from adding it into the game upon release. I can imagine how difficult it would have been. More likely, they simply left it out to make cash on it.

When Morrowind came out, Bethesda offered around three or four free mods, one being a pretty solid questline. There were also two very hefty, enjoyable expansions to the game.

I don't pay for that shit, and I wont. An expansion is different. They typically include a boat load of new features and quests that extend the game quite a bit, typically worth $20. The official add-ons for Skyrim can quickly add up to $20, and look what you get, straight shit I could have made myself with the CK for free.

Lemming42

Arcane
I don't even support DLC, unless we're talking legitimate expansions. It's just extra money for them, and no, Bethesda does not offer anything substantial at all in their DLC content. A lot of the times, the DLC are things that should have been included in the game anyway. Just look at Hearthfire. Really? Five bucks to make a house? I guess time constraints prevented them from adding it into the game upon release. I can imagine how difficult it would have been. More likely, they simply left it out to make cash on it.

When Morrowind came out, Bethesda offered around three or four free mods, one being a pretty solid questline. There were also two very hefty, enjoyable expansions to the game.

I don't pay for that shit, and I wont. An expansion is different. They typically include a boat load of new features and quests that extend the game quite a bit, typically worth $20. The official add-ons for Skyrim can quickly add up to $20, and look what you get, straight shit I could have made myself with the CK for free.

You don't think Dragonborn and Dawnguard are on par with Tribunal and Bloodmoon in terms of content added? Dragonborn adds about as much content as Bloodmoon, given that it's set in the same place, and I forget what happened in Dawnguard but I'm pretty sure there were a bunch of new locations with just as much content as Tribunal's city.

The Fallout 3 expansions, despite all being absolutely terrible, add entire new maps and relatively lengthy quests. I think you've somehow focused in on the Horse Armour and Hearthfire and ignored everything else they've done, which I'd describe as "hefty ... expansions" (note the removal of the word "enjoyable", though) similar to Morrowind.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Heartfire was more of a fanservice actually.

One cannot deny that Bethesda DLC, as popamole and moronic as it tend to be (Mothership Zeta), is quite substantial content wise.

CrawlingDead

Learned
You don't think Dragonborn and Dawnguard are on par with Tribunal and Bloodmoon in terms of content added? Dragonborn adds about as much content as Bloodmoon, given that it's set in the same place, and I forget what happened in Dawnguard but I'm pretty sure there were a bunch of new locations with just as much content as Tribunal's city.

The Fallout 3 expansions, despite all being absolutely terrible, add entire new maps and relatively lengthy quests. I think you've somehow focused in on the Horse Armour and Hearthfire and ignored everything else they've done, which I'd describe as "hefty ... expansions" (note the removal of the word "enjoyable", though) similar to Morrowind.
I should have clarified, I mean their DLC, like straight mods, not expansions. Their expansions have been hefty, their content though is a different story. I haven't played the DLC for Fallout 3, so I can't say on that. The Elder Scrolls was a series I followed for a very long time, so I'm more familiar with that and the shit they tried to sell.

The best comparison, though, would of course be the original Fallout games, which had dialogue for each NPC that was informative/funny/interesting without every being overly infodump-y.

Eh, depends. Important, main quest or faction NPCs? I'd say that Fallout in many ways equaled or surpassed Morrowind.

Random plebes? Nope. I'm nearing the end of a second run of the original Fallout, first as an evil cockhead and now a low-Int drooling moron. There are scores of trash NPCs around Fallout with nothing more than *Grunt* "Lemme alone", "Got any Brahmin Burgers", "Set makes sure we all get water", etc. Whereas in Morrowind you're just as likely to learn valuable stuff from a nobody thanks to rumor, secrets, or advice, or merely because they're a local and know some shit. They might mention a book they're read recently that ends up being a Skill Book, or might point you in the direction of a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who has a quest. If you're brand new to the game there's even a set of reactions from commoners (as opposed to being one of the actual classes) for each of the topic types warning you that it sucks to be unprepared here. They can tell you're green and have suggestions on what to do to prepare yourself.

Last edited:
Dawnguard but I'm pretty sure there were a bunch of new locations with just as much content as Tribunal's city.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tribunal:Quests

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Quests_(Dawnguard)

Not nearly as many new people to talk to (remember, fully functioning city vs two faction bases), though I would take the Soul Cairn over Goblin Caves. Dawnguard has fewer main quests than Tribunal, and while it has a couple more side-quests in total....

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Protecting_the_Bloodline

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Preemptive_Strike

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Cleansing_Light

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Hunting_the_Monster

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Rescue

Radiant, Radiant, Radiant. And I still remember leaning that you can't simply bumrush the Black Dart Gang, experimenting with a cranky old Dwemer ghost to set my sword on fire, trolling everyone in Mournhold with an artificial Ash Storm and learning that Gaenor is an asshat.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
*Presses X*

Go on.

Zep--

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom