Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Is it just me, or does the lower picture look like Todd Howard? Is this Bethesda's secret way of acknowledging that he's a cheap salesman of second-rate products?
Isn't he some sort of Devil character? He's selling you survival but taking away your family in the process (in the event that the spouse is dead and the child is on his deathbed as the achievement suggests)... survival and ultimate power over this wasteland to the detriment of your personal life/the people closest to you sounds like a Faustian bargain to me. That is if I had any emotion/love for anything/rich inner-life.

saltyshanty

Educated
Isn't he some sort of Devil character? He's selling you survival but taking away your family in the process (in the event that the spouse is dead and the child is on his deathbed as the achievement suggests)... survival and ultimate power over this wasteland to the detriment of your personal life/the people closest to you sounds like a Faustian bargain to me. That is if I had any emotion/love for anything/rich inner-life.

Oooo, let's combine the analogies: the salesman is Todd Howard AND the Devil. He is offering us, the players, a Faustian bargain in which we give up the low, low price of $59.99 and our ability to think critically for the promise of endless hours of shallow power fantasy. It totally works!

Don't people always want more?

True, I was just wondering how a rich inner life would in any way predispose you one way or the other. Wouldn't lacking an inner life be more pertinent, since lacking one would impel pro-social choices to fill that gaping chasm in your soul?

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
True, I was just wondering how a rich inner life would in any way predispose you one way or the other. Wouldn't lacking an inner life be more pertinent, since lacking one would impel pro-social choices to fill that gaping chasm in your soul?
That's a fair point. I mostly just wanted to liken Todd to the Diabel. I'm going to go watch some Żuławski now.

animlboogy

Learned
So I got curious and looked up how the skill system in this game works... You level up your base SPECIAL, and skills/perks have been combined into one concept?

All powerful Wasteland Jesus is going to start the game as a retard and somehow end it with his INT maxed out because he ran a lot of mundane errands for people.

I'm just gonna wait a year for an OOO equivalent for this game.

Drakron

Arcane
It just escalates a problem that Bethsoft always created, that is Jack of All Trades and Master of All, one that started after Toddler.

In theory you could do it in Fallout 1 and 2 since you could just go around gaining XP from random encounters but it would take a obscene long time (less in 2 since it had the Guide after you beaten the game but there was pretty much nothing to do at that point) but with Bethsoft they simply given too much XP and since they simplified skills people would max most of them as in previous games they would have to concentrate in 3-4 of them.

By removing skills they removed the last barrier for traits, at this point the whole RPG aspect is simply shallow since you never have to make any decisions, there are no barrier points ... juts a FPS with minigames, its a game that mechanical wise offers nothing and storywise I would expect the same crap that was in 3.

animlboogy

Learned
I was never going to get this game at launch, now I'm not going to get it indefinitely.

Sometimes it's hard to tell if people are really raging about an upcoming game being bad, or if they're being edgelords... But man, now that I bothered to read up on what this game actually is I seriously don't have any urge to play it. It sounds boring and pointless.

I don't know how Bethesda keeps managing to surprise me with how low they can go...

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm certain at this point I'll wait for the Fallout 4 GOTY edition during a steam sale, or when the F4 equivalent of SkyRe/Perkus Maximus/Requiem is released. At this point I get the impression playing vanilla F4 will make me feel sad

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Here's a list of Nvidia Gameworks features in Fallout 4:

vlLEhHo.jpg

Athelas

Arcane
The post-processed-to-hell screenshot is supposed to be an improvement?

Also, lol at that FPS.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
I'm calling bullshit, I haven't seen anything confirming gameworks features anywhere else. Plus, gameworks is usually just HBAO+ and other physX features

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Dat ugly-ass green rectangle of which about 50% is used for something... but lacks the EXIT menu option. A true next-gen UI masterpiece, 5/5.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Press esc on keyboard ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom