Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lemming42

Arcane
Ip0jqHQ.gif

Animations are top-notch quality.

She looks like she's imitating the stance of one of those fucked up people on the Bayeux Tapestry.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I don't think anyone can argue this is rushed, since it did take them forever to release it, but what do you mean by "every little detail they can"? They completely gutted RPG elements and skimped on graphics/animations, as is Besthesda tradition. What part of anything save for maybe the improved combat seems appealing to you?

The combat is where you spend most of the time in game, combat makes or brakes the game. That's why Fallout 4 will be good because it's an enhanced fallout 3. Look at twitcher 3, the combat is horrible, even though the story is good i couldn't get myself to play it because of the shit combat.

Wolfe

Arbiter
And how will the combat of FO4 be in any way better than the one in TW3? The combat in FO3 was shit and this is only going to be worse, what is your point?:D:D:D

Shammy

Learned
The combat is where you spend most of the time in game, combat makes or brakes the game. That's why Fallout 4 will be good because it's an enhanced fallout 3. Look at twitcher 3, the combat is horrible, even though the story is good i couldn't get myself to play it because of the shit combat.
Guy just because a game 'shoots' and feels well mechanically doesn't mean narratively the game is well made. Sure combat makes up a good chunk of what you do, but that's only one piece of the pie, and if only one slice is edible that you have an issue.

And Witcher 3's combat was far from horrible guy, passable but horrible? You honestly, and I'm being 100% serious, need to play more games before you claim Witcher 3's combat is a pile of lump shit.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
You just can't say that The Witcher 3 combat is horrible, without then shitting on Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and Gothic combat system.
Find me just one ARPG with swords with a better combat.
And no, Dark Souls is a dungeon crawl.

Even Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines had an horrible combat system. But it was a wonderful RPG.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Guy just because a game 'shoots' and feels well mechanically doesn't mean narratively the game is well made. Sure combat makes up a good chunk of what you do, but that's only one piece of the pie, and if only one slice is edible that you have an issue.

Combat in FPSes is the only thing. and the new fallouts are FPSes first with some Bethesda touch added.

need to play more games before you claim Witcher 3's combat is a pile of lump shit.

Compare combat in witcher 3 to dark souls and you will see how bad witcher 3 is.

In terms of combat, or in general? The combat does sound improved but everything else sounds like a step down.

We can't say yet anything about the rest untill the game is released.

You just can't say that The Witcher 3 combat is horrible, without then shitting on Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and Gothic combat system.

Morrowind oblivion and skyrim are a different genre than witcher 3. Their combat is ok for what they are.
Witcher series had different combat in every game. They just don't know how to make a good one so they experiment in every version and everytime it's shit.
You play witcher for the story and not for the combat, this game should not have combat at all.
Witcher should be an adventure game.

Fairfax

Arcane
And no, Dark Souls is a dungeon crawl.
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is not great, but since you asked for an "ARPG with swords", that's the best combat IMO.

Shammy

Learned
Combat in FPSes is the only thing. and the new fallouts are FPSes first with some Bethesda touch added.

Compare combat in witcher 3 to dark souls and you will see how bad witcher 3 is.
Compare most games to Dark Souls; you'll be hard pressed to find a game as mechanically strong. Just because Dark Souls is a better 3rd person game doesn't mean Witcher 3 is a shittier game all around, it's just different. And if FO4 truly was a pure FPS, it would not be marketed as an RPG, and I know you're aware of this. So if an RPG game has awful RPG mechanics, what's the end product?

Frozen

Arcane
Shitty FPS is shitty FPS
Combat can only be as good as FO3 because its the same fucking engine as always.
That shit about combat is better is journalism trying to have some pro point for this trud.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Isn't that illegal?
What's illegal on that? In garage games era high school dropout and PhDs were mixed together. Sid Meyer also received his title quite late. Hire childhood friend? Why not? At least it's less likely he'd rob the company.

Majority of animations are done by motion capture, because nobody wants to spend effort.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Compare most games to Dark Souls; you'll be hard pressed to find a game as mechanically strong. Just because Dark Souls is a better 3rd person game doesn't mean Witcher 3 is a shittier game all around, it's just different. And if FO4 truly was a pure FPS, it would not be marketed as an RPG, and I know you're aware of this. So if an RPG game has awful RPG mechanics, what's the end product?
Witcher 3 definitely is a shittier game all around.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Just because Dark Souls is a better 3rd person game doesn't mean Witcher 3 is a shittier game all around, it's just different

We were talking about the combat and not in general about the game. I've said that Witcher has some other decent parts, but the combat is the worst part of the witcher.

And games are about playing, in most games combat is the defining factor if the game is good or not, unless you are playing an adventure game which has a different point of playing.

Shammy

Learned
Witcher 3 definitely is a shittier game all around.
How so? Dark Souls has powerful environmental storytelling with a minimalist approach to exposition with fantastic combat, while Witcher 3 has mediocre combat but well written characters and a (for the most part) better all around plot, though it does have some plot holes here and there. They're very different games, and comparing the two is really apples to oranges outside of the fact they're both ARPGs. I still prefer the Souls series over Witcher, but that doesn't mean I hate the Witcher series more. They're different, and that's okay.
We were talking about the combat and not in general about the game. I've said that Witcher has some other decent parts, but the combat is the worst part of the witcher.
And games are about playing, in most games combat is the defining factor if the game is good or not, unless you are playing an adventure game which has a different point of playing.
My first post directly talked about both combat and RPG elements, so no, we are talking about the game as a whole, and as a whole FO4 has shown very little that can be considered awesome and well done. Plus you haven't even responded to their horribly handled narrative design, which in an RPG is paramount. How can you even say Combat is the defining factor of the game while wearing a straight face? You're boggling my bonkers with this kind of thinking.

Lemming42

Arcane
We can't say yet anything about the rest untill the game is released.

Agreed but at this point I think we're starting to get a fairly complete picture of the kind of game this is, and it doesn't look like one with varied character builds, non-combat solutions or a functioning dialogue system.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Morrowind oblivion and skyrim are a different genre than witcher 3. Their combat is ok for what they are.
Witcher series had different combat in every game. They just don't know how to make a good one so they experiment in every version and everytime it's shit.
You play witcher for the story and not for the combat, this game should not have combat at all.
Witcher should be an adventure game.

So Planescape Torment is a bad game because it has a bad combat system. Ok.
Deus Ex is bad because it has a bad gunplay.
Fine.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
So Planescape Torment is a bad game because it has a bad combat system. Ok.
Deus Ex is bad because it has a bad gunplay.
Fine.

If you went playing Torment and expecting good combat than yes it was a bad game. If you went to play Torment without expecting good combat then it was a good game. All depends on the point of view.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
But "worst part of it", which I could agree with you, doesn't mean "bad".

For some people combat is the defining aspect because it is the most 'gamey' element. Look at arcades and early games from 80's , they were mainly shooters and beatem'ups - combat games, that is why when combat in a game is bad, it automaticaly means the game is shit because if you have to force yourself through the combat without no enjoyment then what's the point of playing?

Baron

Arcane
After playing Fallout 3 and doing a few quests I repeatedly stabbed a dessert fork into both eyes and cried out to Rangda, the child eating demon queen of Bali, to whom I would offer my seven children in exchange for teaching me Braille and a passing familiarity with the G.E.C.K. modding tool. Given the numbing horror I've been witnessing in these pages, it's clear that some RPG fan must immediately start rewriting Fallout 4's quests to include something, anything at all, to enjoy.

fW6I4LS.jpg

Day 782 purchase.

Fairfax

Arcane
Never played those two games, my fault.
It's one game, it's just an odd name. Made by Arkane Studios, which also did a good job with Arx Fatalis and, quite ironically, were bought by Zenimax a couple of years ago.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
It's one game, it's just an odd name. Made by Arkane Studios, which also did a good job with Arx Fatalis and, quite ironically, were bought by Zenimax a couple of years ago.

The same studios who did Dishonored.
I could give it a try, Dishonored was a masterpiece.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom