Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

SwiftCrack

Arcane
He went there.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Heh, my first round through I found NCR to be just as bad as the legion, the legion was just more honest about it.

KevinV12000

Arcane
Caesar's Legion kept the roads safe for traders and travellers. Neither NCR nor House could do that.
Obsidian really missed a great opportunity with Caesar's Legion. Harsh law, in a world that is a Hobbesian war of all against all, brings order, the first necessity. Had Obsidian played that up, and made Caesar an authoritarian who value order and for good reason, rather than just a foul-mouthed thug, THEN the choice would have been interesting.

We are all victims of our time and place, however, and I'm sure the good folks at Obsidian just can't imagine a decent authoritarian imposing very harsh law for a just cause.

Is this gonna be another one of those threads where retards post their butthurt about the legion as damning evidence of the lack of grey morality in the game? Even though there's clearly four different factions?

Lemming42

Arcane
NCR are ambiguous but I don't know how people defend the Legion. They were cartoonishly evil, the entrance to their camp is just a wall of crucified skeletons.

The NCR come off as alright in the end, I think, especially when you meet people like that guy who runs McCarran.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
Caesar's Legion kept the roads safe for traders and travellers. Neither NCR nor House could do that.
Obsidian really missed a great opportunity with Caesar's Legion. Harsh law, in a world that is a Hobbesian war of all against all, brings order, the first necessity. Had Obsidian played that up, and made Caesar an authoritarian who value order and for good reason, rather than just a foul-mouthed thug, THEN the choice would have been interesting.

We are all victims of our time and place, however, and I'm sure the good folks at Obsidian just can't imagine a decent authoritarian imposing very harsh law for a just cause.

That's what House was about, which is why I always support him. He wanted to take on the role of benevolent dictator.

KevinV12000

Arcane
Hah, it's going to be even worse than FO3. I mean, the plot is centered around the idea of saving androids. The whole world has gone to shit, people struggle to survive, but there's still this group of people who just want to make human-like robots, and threre's also this other faction who wants to liberate them from their evil creators. Seriously, you have no other fucking things to worry about than humanoid toasters? The whole fucking concept of "the Railroad" is beyond fucking retarded. It's fucking Little Lamplight retarded.

It's got my SJW Bullshit Detector going into overdrive, I can tell you that. If this game shoves East-Coast liberal piety down my throat.....well fuck that. It's bad enough I have to live here with all these SWP status signaling whores and our ridiculously broken government; I don't need it when I get home as well.

KevinV12000

Arcane

That's what House was about, which is why I always support him. He wanted to take on the role of benevolent dictator.
Same here. To me, it was the obvious choice. The last thing a wasteland needs is democracy and women's lib.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
NCR was crap. They were a reflection of everything that was wrong with democracy that led to nuclear armageddon in the first place

Unlike Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, you can only play as a man. This is due to the storyline requiring it. However, after the main story is over, you can have a gender change. BGS did not rule out Females for possible standalone DLC, however.

Pathetic.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's like people debating the 'evils' of corrupt powers like AmeriKWA versus ISIS. And yet all of you would opt to side/live in the US/other corrupt and decadent western democracies over the Caliphate. You can split all the rhetorical hairs you want but the Legion is clearly more 'evil' assuming a traditional understanding of the word.

Catfish

Learned
Yes, all sides have their flaws but Caesar's Legion is clearly the bad guy.

That's the thing though, in NV it is a matter of opinion, which is formed based on upbringing and environment. I say this because, being from Russia, I've met people with values and an ideology that pretty much aligns with what Caesar would advocate. They are not nice people, but they very much exist.

"Fallout 3", on the other hand, doesn't provide room for opinion, because the "ideology" and master plan of the bad guys is based on nothing.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/28v2dn/i_played_fallout_4/

Sorry for leddit link, but this thing everyone thought was a lame fake post doesn't actually seem that unlikely now.

I actually believe this is true. Everything on the list seems like something Bethesda would do.
At the beginning of the game, you create your character (You can only be a male in the main story), and afterward, you start the game with a blast. After the blast, you awake to see the building you are standing inside blown apart and your wife, Lydia, dead. Robots and Androids are storming the place, killing and kidnapping the people inside. You, known as "The Officer", must escape and get revenge.
:killit:

The Brotherhood Of Steel returns and control Logan Airport. This BOS is not the same as seen in Fallout 3. Instead, a similar BOS to the ones seen in the classic Fallout games as well as Fallout New Vegas make an appearance, only caring about technology, and will obtain it by force if they have to.
:thumbsup:

Super Mutants return, in the same form as the ones from Fallout 3, keeping in line with the "East Coast" mutants.
:rpgcodex:

Feral Cats are new, and exclusively located in one of the vaults.
:3

Three Dog returns as well
:x

bonescraper

It's like people debating the 'evils' of corrupt powers like AmeriKWA versus ISIS. And yet all of you would opt to side/live in the US/other corrupt and decadent western democracies over the Caliphate. You can split all the rhetorical hairs you want but the Legion is clearly more 'evil' assuming a traditional understanding of the word.
Spot on. Imprerfect democratic state vs Shaira law, harsh, but law nonetheless. Which is better and why?

Such choice. Very hard. Wow.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
NCR are ambiguous but I don't know how people defend the Legion. They were cartoonishly evil, the entrance to their camp is just a wall of crucified skeletons.

The NCR come off as alright in the end, I think, especially when you meet people like that guy who runs McCarran.

Crucified skeletons of those who opposed the legion. it's beautiful.

I never thought that the codex would be filled by NCR moralfags. See you on the hoover dam motherfuckers.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron

If by eveil you mean overwhelmingly authoritarian, then yes. Punishment for breaking laws was excessive as a deterrent. Order kept through fear. That's how Saddam did it. I don't support it (I think House's strategy was best), but I understand it. It isn't evil, it isn't good, it's just what Caesar felt necessary to keep order.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
NCR was crap. They were a reflection of everything that was wrong with democracy that led to nuclear armageddon in the first place
19303.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yes, all sides have their flaws but Caesar's Legion is clearly the bad guy.

That's the thing though, in NV it is a matter of opinion, which is formed based on upbringing and environment. I say this because, being from Russia, I've met people with values and an ideology that pretty much aligns with what Caesar would advocate. They are not nice people, but they very much exist.
Again, no. It isn't. You can twist things and qualify them to make it a matter of opinion but it really isn't. So one side has corrupt politicians and fighting an arguably unnecessary war and yadda yadda. The other crucifies and decimates people on a whim. Your real life analogy reinforces it since you said they aren't nice people. What is nice? What is good? What is evil. You can split the onion until there are no more layers left. There are widely understood definitions of those words and the Legion is clearly a bunch of 'not nice' people who lean heavily towards the 'evil' spectrum.

Would things be different if MCA or whoever added more content? Probably. But they didn't.

If by eveil you mean overwhelmingly authoritarian, then yes. Punishment for breaking laws was excessive as a deterrent. Order kept through fear. That's how Saddam did it. I don't support it (I think House's strategy was best), but I understand it. It isn't evil, it isn't good, it's just what Caesar felt necessary to keep order.
More mental masturbation. 'What is evil?' It's like Clinton asking what the definition of the word 'is' is...

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014

Crucified skeletons of those who opposed the legion. it's beautiful.

I never thought that the codex would be filled by NCR moralfags. See you on the hoover dam motherfuckers.
If the WCDS actually played games, I'm sure they'd be on your side.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's like people debating the 'evils' of corrupt powers like AmeriKWA versus ISIS.

It's interesting that Obsidian's lack of development time sort of inadvertently drove the player in that direction. You didn't get to visit Legion-held territory outside of military areas, so over the course of the entire game, the NCR was the only "occupying power" you saw. In the player's eyes, only NCR troops ever had to suppress native tribes, only NCR troops ever looked like invaders in a land not their own. Development scope management as media bias?

Last edited:
Legion is harsh and burns you and rots you right away at a fault but are otherwise dignified.

NCR is more freedumm! but burns you inside, slowly rotting your soul away in its bureaucratic oppressive shithole. Soviet State Lite. Yup. So obvious they are the "good" guys.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom