Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
What's the central gimmick for Fallout 4? I would have assumed they would have revealed i in the trailer.

A drivable car?

Notice how much screen time the dog got.
Guess-the-Animal-Photo-e1316698700804.jpg

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
What's the central gimmick for Fallout 4? I would have assumed they would have revealed i in the trailer.

A drivable car?

Actually, did you notice how much time switching there was?

It might be that the protagonist has the ability to see into the past at will.

That's... an interesting idea.

retardation

Learned
I like the atmosphere of the screenshots, locations look really interesting. I'd rather have countless interactive objects than next-gen graphics. The original Fallout premise wasn't viable anyway, so I have no worries Bethesda will fuck up lore or something.

As for the leak guy, he sounds like PR.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Decidely too much rage, graphics whoring and praise in this thread.

Ah of course, all the prestigious posters remain in the better parts of the forum.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
At the beginning of the game, you create your character (You can only be a male in the main story), and afterward, you start the game with a blast. After the blast, you awake to see the building you are standing inside blown apart and your wife, Lydia, dead. Robots and Androids are storming the place, killing and kidnapping the people inside. You, known as "The Officer", must escape and get revenge.

That's sure to please the Twatter crowd. Also your wife Lydia is sworn to carry your burdens etc.

• Feral Cats are new, and exclusively located in one of the vaults.
:desu:

RETURNING CHARACTERS:
  • Three Dog returns as well, although he is only heard on the radio, and not seen in person. People believe the radio is not actually live, and that it is simply a looped recording. (Based on the fact that you CAN kill him in Fallout 3.) He is voiced by Erik Todd Dellums.

Ugh....

PLATFORMS:

Fallout 4 will be available for a wide range of platforms after launch. The first version that will be released is being developed for Playstation 4, Xbox One and PC. This version uses a brand new engine built from the ground up to take advantage of the power of next gen systems. Absolutely everything is new, and no assets or scrips are being used from Fallout 3/NV or Skyrim.

"Completely new engine!"
:happytrollboy:

Fallout 4 will also be available on Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. This version is also being developed by Bethesda Game Studios, but will release a year after the advanced version. This version runs on the Creation Engine, the same engine that powered Skyrim.

Oh wait, it's Gamebryo with a new name!
:troll:

Fallout 4 plays similar to Fallout 3 and New Vegas. You can play in Third Person or First Person, or on the PC version, a new "Classic Mode" that will put the game into birds eye view and play similar to the classic Fallout Games. (Although by my experience, it actually looked and played more like the PS2/Xbox Fallout: Brotherhood of steel.)

Because FO:BoS was such a quality product that everyone liked. :P

Unlike Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, you can only play as a man. This is due to the storyline requiring it. However, after the main story is over, you can have a gender change. BGS did not rule out Females for possible standalone DLC, however.

Day 1 "Director's Cut" trannification DLC

RELEASE DATE: BGS has a "Roadmap" already planned out for Fallout 4 and a spinoff. I already was informed about it from the studio when I worked there, and I read it. Basically, the roadmap is this:

[...]
June 2016 - Fallout Spinoff revealed, in development by Behaviour Interactive.

No fallout spinoff for obsidian. MCA can stop sucking up to todd now. :smug:

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Yeah, the "new engine" part is bullcrap, same as with different engine for consoles. But otherwise the leak is exceptionally close to truth.

Renfri

Cipher
June 2016 - Fallout Spinoff revealed, in development by Behaviour Interactive.

I guess there is little reason to follow Fallout 4 then. Especially since what Behaviour Interactive did to LotR lore in their masterpiece. Also:
Never forget

Catfish

Learned
The original Fallout premise wasn't viable anyway

Just out of curiosity - why?

If we're to take the setting seriously, as an long extension of the 50s, you'd think that someone would come up with the transistor in the 130 years before the nuclear apocalypse in the 2080s.

Well, by that logic most fiction would be deemed unviable. Take, say, Watchmen, for an immediate comparison - because comics would never inspire people to go ahead and really become superheroes. Does this make the premise unviable as a basis for a good story?

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

If we're to take the setting seriously, as an long extension of the 50s, you'd think that someone would come up with the transistor in the 130 years before the nuclear apocalypse in the 2080s.

Well, by that logic most fiction would be deemed unviable. Take, say, Watchmen, for an immediate comparison - because comics would never inspire people to go ahead and really become superheroes. Does this make the premise unviable as a basis for a good story?

Comics aren't really a good comparision.
What i'm getting at is culture being static and technology not going far in 140 years compared to roughly 80 years in our established history.

retardation

Learned

Ah, where to start? It's simply shit. It ignores two basic facts - humans behave like cockroaches and that the Earth atmosphere, surface and subsurface would recover from the nuclear war, with vegetation in some regions basically untouched.

Just because there's a nuclear war doesn't mean humans will become monkey-like retarded. Post-nuclear world (after the nuclear winter and devastating summer) would've seen the revival of the colonial period and the next golden age for the human civilization. Trade, culture and innovations would flourish after the 100 years or so. It would've been the exact opposite of the situation portrayed in Fallout. Monotheistic religion would've created a global police force and the one world government. Strict order based on class society and the teachings of the ancient Greek philosophers would've been established in the whole world.

Basically, nuclear war doesn't equal to being hit by an asteroid.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron

Ah, where to start? It's simply shit. It ignores two basic facts - humans behave like cockroaches and that the Earth atmosphere, surface and subsurface would recover from the nuclear war, with vegetation in some regions basically untouched.

Just because there's a nuclear war doesn't mean humans will become monkey-like retarded. Post-nuclear world (after the nuclear winter and devastating summer) would've seen the revival of the colonial period and the next golden age for the human civilization. Trade, culture and innovations would flourish after the 100 years or so. It would've been the exact opposite of the situation portrayed in Fallout. Monotheistic religion would've created a global police force and the one world government. Strict order based on class society and the teachings of the ancient Greek philosophers would've been established in the whole world.

Best aptronym on the forum tbh.

Catfish

Learned

Comics aren't really a good comparision.
What i'm getting at is culture being static and technology not going far in 140 years compared to roughly 80 years in our established history.

Well, I was using the Watchmen premise only as an example, but ok. Here is a different one - does the scientifically impossible stuff in Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles (breathable air on Mars, telepathy and, well, Martians) make that work less viable or relevant?

Catfish

Learned

Okay. I'm not saying you're wrong, but could you elaborate on how what you describe would come to be? Or better yet, please give me one single example in history where a major disaster would result in something even remotely similar to what you are proposing here

Cthulhu_is_love

So maybe an asymmetric co op-modus with one player as vault guy and one player as dog.
You could only experience the whole fun and progress if you both work together and solve funny little puzzles.

Also railgun shooter-parts with airships.

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Catfish said:
Well, I was using the Watchmen premise only as an example, but ok. Here is a different one - does the scientifically impossible stuff in Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles (breathable air on Mars, telepathy and, well, Martians) make that work less viable or relevant?

It does make it much less viable as a future history after the year it was published, but no less relevant.

Okay. I'm not saying you're wrong, but could you elaborate on how what you describe would come to be? Or better yet, please give me one single example in history where a major disaster would result in something even remotely similar to what you are proposing here

Well the Soviets during the Cold War didn't have a ICBM for every city and town, so quite a few pockets of civilization would of survived.
There are documents of Soviet ICBM targets and If I recall correctly Australia's east coast was full of primary targets, contingencies in place could of ensured the continuation of the nation in the less affected and more infrastructure intact west coast had Able Archer in '84 triggered nuclear armageddon.

retardation

Learned

I'm not proposing anything. The reality is that the network of people capable of building and steering the civilization, who are engaged in running the world, would've survived the nuclear war and then tried to rebuild it - this time under one ruler.

Fallout also fails to include space colonization in its lore (despite the GECK technology!), preservation of seeds (Norway and Russia already did this, for example) and the possibility of self-repairing autonomous robots taking care of vegetation while the humans are "away". This game is as fantasy as LOTR. That's why I have no problem with whatever Bethesda decides to do with it apart from retarded skill checks.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom