Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Bahamut

Arcane
But i really like what they have done to power armor, generaly the whole customization aspect in this game seems to be good

In the rest it looks like a typical bethesda game, but it seems they used extra power of "next gen" to make more detailed locations than upgrading the graphic level of the game

Shit RPG, medicore hiking sim incoming

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Just look at how much better 1, 2 and New Vegas are when compared to 3. It's the writing.

None of those were better than 3. 1 was severely lacking in exploration. Huge map with just a few small locations. I haven't played much of 2 because it's that shitty and judging by the extensive commentary available on the codex it's decline from 1 in almost every possible way (including story). NV also sacrificed exploration for "better writing", which resulted in an overall shittier game if you're not a degenerate storyfag. The writing in all the fallouts (except 3 which was utter shit shit) was mediocre at best and only stands out in the way of reactivity. But reactivity in and of itself isn't enough to make an interesting game. The combat has been sub-par in all of them, though the over the top brutality still makes it somewhat enjoyable. The thing that puts Fallout 3 on top for me is that there's a shitton of ruins to explore and they nailed a proper post-apocalyptic vibe better than NV as long as you don't talk to anybody.

At the end of the day the characters and story are dressing. I don't lock myself in a basement and play games so I can talk to people, and while I don't mind a good story and interesting characters, if I have to choose (and it seems like I always have to choose) I'll take good gameplay over good dialogue any day. Bethesda cannot into dialogue but they used to be able to into decent gameplay with lots of room for player creativity and after being mentally sodomized by Skyrim it's nice to see them returning to their roots.
zXHr38k.png

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Do you not realize that companies make $$$ by you pirating games? Marketing and publicity lead to good word of mouth. The more people are playing a game, the more people are compelled to buy it. Indirectly, pirating games supports the company you are pirating from when it comes to massive AAA games because all you're doing is making these games more talked about and popular. Piracy might be a detriment when it's done with small companies - but every sucker pirating GTA or a Bethesda game is just doing free marketing work for them. Good fucking job.

It's the same principle as when people give away free copies of a magazine or something. The money they miss from a purchase is more than made up by the word of mouth you generate.
That doesn't really make sense, unless you expect people who pirate it to spread the words to other pirates how good it feels to pirate games? The only possible advantage to the big company is including torrent traffic data in some boardroom meetings with shareholders shown how many people use their product. Ignoring this game completely is definitely the better choice but if you must play it, then pirating is better than giving them hard sales figures and $.

Trip

Learned
Some of these features simply scream "Here's some stuff to fiddle with pointlessly, 'cause we know that's what the smartphone generation does all day anyway." What better role to play than yourself in real-life, a gadget-obsessed, ADD-crippled, dead-eyed borderline sociopath incapable of speaking in complex sentences?

The feature-list is almost surreal. Reminds me of the cartoony CGI holographic shark advertisement of "Jaws 19" in Back to the Future II. Basically this is how this "Fallout" relates to the originals.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yo Codex. Why get buthurt? Why analyze it to death? Why creating 500+ page thread? What are ya'll even talking about?

Everybody knows exactly how it's gonna go down. It's gonna be pretty much Fallout 3 with HD textures modpack. Only shittier. And with Minecraft, tower defense and a dog grafted on. And EVERYBODY here will give Howard 60 dollars and sink 100+ hours in the game.

Yawn. Knowing your future is so boring.

fallout_zpswbpsav8m.png~original

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
where is the skill system? did they remove that? Criticals are now a bar that fills up with luck? Decline, Decline never changes

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Imagine Obsidian having to make a spinoff of this, with the baseline they're setting here. You take out the Minecraft stuff, people scream decline. For fuck's sake.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Maldoror

Augur
Imagine Obsidian having to make a spinoff of this

:incline:

Although, I doubt that it would turn out as well as New Vegas. A lot of that game's quality came from Gonzalez and Sawyer. The former of which has left, while the latter is all about BALANCE.

Still, at least the overall narrative and themes would be inherently superior - Obsidian have a good grasp of what makes Fallout, Fallout.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom