Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Daily reminder :

xVC4ZSZ.jpg

Hahaha I will kill a bitch

Doktor Best

Arcane
It was unbalanced

Yes, that was the point and that's why it was FUN.

I think that correlation is far overused in codex and pretty bullshit. There are plenty of balanced character systems that are fun, and there are plenty of character systems that are neither balanced nor fun.

POEs character system was so shallow because the choices you made in character creation and development didnt impact your playstyle far enough in most aspects, not because everything was balanced (it wasnt even). It had fake variety because it offered choices that are just there for the sake of it, not to actually enable different playstyles.

SPECIAL on the other hand did that, but did a really poor job in some cases of balancing them. It could be so much better if it provided more valid options. You could even say that it kinda also had fake variety because it provided options that were inherently differing in playstyle but at the same time were not valiable/good options because they were simply shit.

Now Fallout is a really easy game so this is not really a problem, but if it actually succeeded in providing a challenging difficulty level, with combat that is actually forcing you to be good, the problem with the balance of SPECIAL would become even more visible.

Adding variety just makes balancing harder, not impossible. Reducing it will not inevitably lead to a proper gamebalance, it will just make it easier to achieve.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sneak Peek: Fallout 4's Best Dialog

"Hello, adventurer. Welcome to my store. Would you like to purchase an item?"

"Weeeeeooo! I'm a crazy vampire!"

"I hear the adventurer explored a vault. What a brave adventurer."

"Hi, we're the Brotherhood of Steel. We are good guys. We would like to help people and stop bad guys. That's our whole story."

"Hey, you! You're finally awake. You tried to open the vault, right?"

"Go get the transmitter for me, the quest giver."

"Thank you for getting the transmitter. Here is your reward."

"Welcome to Kid Town. We're all kids here, you fucking idiot. An ancient prophecy states that child NPCs are indestructible. Whatever that means! God, you're ugly. Me and my three pals will follow you around now, shrieking insults and blocking your path."

"Hi. I am Character. I know about many topics. Select one to receive an info dump."

"Move along. I'm a town guard. It looks like you're wearing a Pip-Boy and (pause, slight change of vocal intonation) LEATHER ARMOR."

"Did you see those two skeletons holding hands downstairs? Incredible. Environmental storytelling at its best. I bet they cared about one another, but then they died. Powerful stuff. Show not tell, right? Gotta love it."

"Radscorpions? More like badscorpions."

"Go get the orb for me, as a quest."

"Congratulations, you got the orb. You saved the wasteland!"

"Hello. I am a central character. Let me tell you about myself: I am doing fine. Well, that's all. Farewell."

"I hear that if you look in containers you can find food and bottlecaps. Don't know if it's true, though. No one has looked in any of the rather obvious containers nearby."

"This is a Pip-Boy. You can level up with it. I suppose this is goodbye. I love you very much. Goodbye."

"Some people tell me I sound just like an actor from the pre-war days. A bald captain of an enterprising spaceship. I suppose it's a nice compliment, though I also look and sound curiously similar to half the men in this wasteland."

(Incoherent screaming, as Super Mutants can't talk)

"Heard things got pretty bad over in Washington, DC. I bet if someone familiar with events in Washington, DC was in earshot right now they would shake their head and say 'Brother, you don't know the half of it!'"

"I'm very evil! I will laugh as I tell you about my evil plan!"

"You saved my life. Here's a burnt sock. Please, I insist. You've earned it, noble adventurer."

"I'm here to kill you. I am very angry."

"Radroach? More like large roach. You shouldn't have come here."

"New Vegas, you say? No, must have been a dream. Whole area has been barren for hundreds of years. None of that stuff ever happened."

"I can't believe it. The true meaning of Fallout was in our hearts all along."

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
hahahah New vegas all a dream.The courier had amnesia. Obsidian work went to garbage because metacritic score was 84 not 85, bethesda no gib no mor moniez to obs lolzzzzzz

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Sneak Peek: Fallout 4's Best Dialog

"Hello, adventurer. Welcome to my store. Would you like to purchase an item?"

"Weeeeeooo! I'm a crazy vampire!"

"I hear the adventurer explored a vault. What a brave adventurer."

"Hi, we're the Brotherhood of Steel. We are good guys. We would like to help people and stop bad guys. That's our whole story."

"Hey, you! You're finally awake. You tried to open the vault, right?"

"Go get the transmitter for me, the quest giver."

"Thank you for getting the transmitter. Here is your reward."

"Welcome to Kid Town. We're all kids here, you fucking idiot. An ancient prophecy states that child NPCs are indestructible. Whatever that means! God, you're ugly. Me and my three pals will follow you around now, shrieking insults and blocking your path."

"Hi. I am Character. I know about many topics. Select one to receive an info dump."

"Move along. I'm a town guard. It looks like you're wearing a Pip-Boy and (pause, slight change of vocal intonation) LEATHER ARMOR."

"Did you see those two skeletons holding hands downstairs? Incredible. Environmental storytelling at its best. I bet they cared about one another, but then they died. Powerful stuff. Show not tell, right? Gotta love it."

"Radscorpions? More like badscorpions."

"Go get the orb for me, as a quest."

"Congratulations, you got the orb. You saved the wasteland!"

"Hello. I am a central character. Let me tell you about myself: I am doing fine. Well, that's all. Farewell."

"I hear that if you look in containers you can find food and bottlecaps. Don't know if it's true, though. No one has looked in any of the rather obvious containers nearby."

"This is a Pip-Boy. You can level up with it. I suppose this is goodbye. I love you very much. Goodbye."

"Some people tell me I sound just like an actor from the pre-war days. A bald captain of an enterprising spaceship. I suppose it's a nice compliment, though I also look and sound curiously similar to half the men in this wasteland."

(Incoherent screaming, as Super Mutants can't talk)

"Heard things got pretty bad over in Washington, DC. I bet if someone familiar with events in Washington, DC was in earshot right now they would shake their head and say 'Brother, you don't know the half of it!'"

"I'm very evil! I will laugh as I tell you about my evil plan!"

"You saved my life. Here's a burnt sock. Please, I insist. You've earned it, noble adventurer."

"I'm here to kill you. I am very angry."

"Radroach? More like large roach. You shouldn't have come here."

"New Vegas, you say? No, must have been a dream. Whole area has been barren for hundreds of years. None of that stuff ever happened."

"I can't believe it. The true meaning of Fallout was in our hearts all along."

Sounds quite good but it also needs the player input for maximum "best writing award" points and deep RPG mechanics showcase.

NPC: You saved my life. Here's a burnt sock. Please, I insist. You've earned it, noble adventurer.
Player: [Perception] So, the sock isn't exactly brand new, eh?

NPC: Congratulations, you got the orb. You saved the wasteland!
Player: [Intelligence] So, the orb is the key to saving the wasteland, right?

NPC: Weeeeeooo! I'm a crazy vampire!
Player: [Intelligence] That means you drink blood, eh?

NPC: Did you see those two skeletons holding hands downstairs? Incredible. Environmental storytelling at its best. I bet they cared about one another, but then they died. Powerful stuff. Show not tell, right? Gotta love it.
Player: [Intelligence] You mean, those skeletons used to love each other when they were still alive?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
(having shit Agi just means you have fewer action points though, so it's a dump stat if you don't use VATS

In New Vegas it affects drawing/reload speed, which makes it not a good stat to outright dump.

Jozoz

Prophet
All dialogue is now locked behind a similar persuasion minigame to Oblivion.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
The Mute Protagonist is due for a revival so instead of dialog options you will only be given gestures. Every dialog option in the game:

1) :|
2) (ball scratch)
3) :mad:
4)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5) [Str 8] (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Nomad_Blizz

Arcane
I see the mods are having the time of their lives splitting and merging threads...one thread for pre-announcement, one for pre-release, one for post-release, and the inevitable subforum. Who would've thought the codex had such love for Bethesda games? :smug:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Mute Protagonist is due for a revival so instead of dialog options you will only be given gestures. Every dialog option in the game:

1) :|
2) (ball scratch)
3) :mad:
4)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5) [Str 8] (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Put that in a controller friendly wheel formation and you have a winner.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom