Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout 4 Released

Fry

Arcane

DeepOcean

Arcane
When I finished Fallout 3, the game left me with one desire: please let there be another installment soon.

Fallout New Vegas tried to fill the need, but opinions among Fallout fans were split. Some loved "West Coast Fallout," replete with motorcycle gangs, delusional wannabe Romans, and one super-depressed kid named Boxcars. Others hoped for something more evolutionary, something that didn't just add to the Fallout universe but deeply improved upon it. For that sort of game, fans had to wait for Fallout 4.

:M
And there is nothing interesting on Fallout 3 that wasn't already introduced better on NV. Do Todd and Pete keep those kids on some basement and keep raping them until they have Stockholm syndrome or what?

Black

Arcane
It's okay, power armor having enough fuel to last for a life-time isn't canon any more.

baturinsky

Arcane
It's okay, power armor having enough fuel to last for a life-time isn't canon any more.

There were different models

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/T-45d_power_armor

"The T-45d lacks the mobility of later power armor models (such as the T-51b power armor) because of its less advanced servo design; as a result it limits the wearer's Agility. The first version of T-45d power armor deployed on the front lines against the Chinese was powered by small energy cells and it burned through them at an alarming rate."

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
GaymerGayte happened. Poeple don't trust our beloved doritus montaendew game "journalism" anymore. I mean the truth has reached the plebs, not about the Codex monocloed nobility anymore. Times are a changing
AHAHAHAH! Oh wow!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
GaymerGayte happened. Poeple don't trust our beloved doritus montaendew game "journalism" anymore. I mean the truth has reached the plebs, not about the Codex monocloed nobility anymore. Times are a changing

Nothing at all has changed. This will sell millions, and Bethesda/Zenimax continues to laugh all the way to the bank... :M

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
And there is nothing interesting on Fallout 3 that wasn't already introduced better on NV. Do Todd and Pete keep those kids on some basement and keep raping them until they have Stockholm syndrome or what?
Again I dunno If I agree that the reviewers favor FO3:

Huge disapointment vs. new vegas / fallout 3. Expected much more than that.

They removed everything that made the franchise unique, starting with the skills (which is a huge factor into replayability).

Also, the interface is a pure nightmare. Can't believe they released that on the PC. Luckily we'll have mods but for now it makes every interaction with it a disgrace and an annoyance, preventing me from enjoying the game.

lol at this:
RPG elements are dumbed down significantly even compared to Fallout 3

I'm even more impressed that they are still so salty that Fallout New Vegas added so many good features, that they chose to actually OMIT them instead. (Faction reputation is a big one, multiple choice, survival mode)

This is a complete 360 degrees from Fallout New Vegas.

Gunplay is better than in F3/FNV, but I don't know if this is a merit, because this game was supposed to be a RPG, not half-assed sandbox with RPG elements.

How about 3 and NV where you had to sacrifice a perk to get one stat point up? It wasn't as bad as sacrificing a perk in the first 2 games since you got perks every 3 levels but still it was a sacrifice, here its just "lol put a point more on it" . Skills are not even skills. This game was just poor decisions all around

only thing I could think of is man, I really wish I was playing 3 or NV right now.

Overall, a very overrated game with tons of bad game design and only a few minor improvements over it's predecessors. Fallout: New Vegas outclasses this game on every level.

It just doesn't feel exciting at all after playing Fallout 3 and Fallout:New Vegas(which is my favourite game by the way).

Huge disappointment after New Vegas, then again we're talking about Bethesda here

Basically, it's better on 'immediate' gunplay and graphics, but several steps back in every other area (skills, balance, story/characters, dialogue, atmosphere, etc.). I'm a fan of the old Fallouts and I would rate the series as thus: FO1 > FO2 > FNV > FO3 > FO4. The old Fallouts are like the original Star Wars movies, whilst the new ones (except FNV, to a degree) are like the Star Wars prequels, but with much more Jar Jar, who is now newest Jedi Knight... yeah...

I have over 200 hours in fallout NV. so I am not new to the fallout series and this is by far the worst game so far .

-does not feel like an RPG; your choices don't matter

How about the excitment of getting skill points every two levels as you did in Fallout New Vegas and carefully placing them where you thought made you play the game the most fun or tactical way possible?

It's better than 3 but worse than New Vegas

There are barely any interesting NPC's or stories, especially if you compare FO4 to games like New Vegas or The Witcher 3.

Everything in this game is a step down from New Vegas and even Fallout 3 and Skyrim. Gone are the Fallout skills systems, reactivity and robust dialogue.

Even fallout 3 was a watered down version of the first two, seems we need more FNV and less consolards

I am the one who grew up playing Fallout 1 and 2. After Fallout 3 I thought nothing could be better, the series is dead. But nevertheless, F New Vegas was a really good, atmospheric game.

lol:
I can go on for hours like this, it's one of the worst high-profile games I've played next to Dragon Age: Inquisition and that's really saying something.

They cut out a lot of features from the last games. And thats not even the worst part. In FO New Vegas you had a reputation system and you could basically kill every NPC which gave you the freedom to approach tasks on your own ways. Here you are forced to pick one of the few already carved out ways to complete your task.

Seriously, if you liked Fallout New Vegas then stay away from this game.

It really seems like what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. None of the good features Obsiadian made in Vegas made it to F4.

As of writing this I am 8 hours in and its like Bethesda completely ignored everything a Fallout title is and everything New Vegas did right.

It is a step down from New Vegas, where you could actually make choices and have more than just two slightly different endings that do not depend on your actions in the game.

The game no longer has any skills. It's only perks and SPECIAL. Despite this, New Vegas base had more perks than this game PLUS skills

Fallout New Vegas is a vastly superior game from a gameplay stand point.

Despite being a step up from Fallout 3 and improved in a lot of ways, it really fails to match the game in between the two:Fallout: New Vegas.

The game is a departure from the right direction New Vegas carved out of Bethesda bugs and base material.

The only saving prospect/outlook is the very minor possibility Obsidian does a New Vegas-like separate game, reintroduces what the porting to Skyrim base assets has caused (removal and streamlining of a lot of things), and abandons everything bad 4 has brought to the series.
What is this, an NMA invasion? Or has the general gamer inclined????? Half of these don't even mentioned the original FO3. There are more mentions of skills & choices than immersion. I never ever hear of anyone mentioning New Vegas just in passing. Actually I remember NV being quite heavily criticized. This includes FO1 and FO2 old skoolers, who don't mention FO3 or NV. wtf?

Mortmal

Arcane
How the fuck did Oblivion get a 94? Was that because it was the height of the Doritos and Mountain Dew craze?
Extremely good looking xbox 360 game, for its time... Many people discovered videos games around xbox release era , some i know irl who never tried any rpg before were genuinely impressed by it . if you never played anything else before its truly impressive. Height of doritos probably too, i bet microsoft showered everyone with money to promote next gen stuff and its console exclusives.

Mortmal

Arcane
So I am guessing all the fancy stats in Fallout 4 have little impact on gameplay again. How exactly does Intelligence figure into things with that dialogue system? How does Perception work without a DM text window? What does Charisma affect, on practical level?
Not much impact but still, you can unlock a few nice perks with int, like making your fusion cores last longer or getting high tech mods, or hacking bots . As for the dilaogue system.. What? Wich dialogue system ? You can pick one or two words and sometime be sarcastic. There's no stat check so far but am not far in the game yet.

Drowed

Arcane
The dialogue in Fallout 4:
> Yes.
> No.
> Sarcastic response.
> Random question.

Aaaaand... That's it.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
How the fuck did Oblivion get a 94? Was that because it was the height of the Doritos and Mountain Dew craze?
For a lot of people it was their first time playing an RPG that wasn't from Japan, so it seemed far more fresh and innovative than it really is. Also it was the first game for the XBOX360 that wasn't essentially shovelware. Loads of people truly loved Oblivion back then, as strange as it may seem.

baturinsky

Arcane
Dialogue is limited to 4 options PER NODE. Meaning it can be branched to as many options as you (modder,scenarist) needs.

Machocruz

Arcane
I'm going to offer an optimistic, naive point of view: maybe, just maybe, the plebs became a little bit more educated on RPGs. Kickstarter happened. GOG increasing in visibility happened. Guys like Super Bunnyhop/MrBTongue/Razorfist happened. Witchers happened. New Vegas happened. Souls combat happened. I see more mentions of RPG Codex in other places more now than I did when I started posting here. I see more and more praise for NV over FO3, and on Youtube of all places, than I did when NV came out. And ironically, Bethesda putting a 3 after Fallout happened. "Wait, Fallout 3 is so kewl...there were two other games before it?" And maybe they go and check those out, and maybe they hate them, but maybe they like something about them and they do some research and it leads them into the world of proper CRPGs. They learn about reactivity, how limitations are as much a part of role-play as what you can do, about multiple solutions.

Yes, game sites are still going to kiss ass and shill. Yes, this game is going to do big numbers. And I still see idiocy like "you play a role in every gaem" and how skill points are arbitrary and turn-based was because limitations, but stupid is eternal, it will never be completely eradicated. But the rest of the animals may be starting to learn. They still may not realize that the Ultima games are still more sophisticated in certain areas than anything being produced today, but maybe they understand the bare minimum that should be demanded of a western RPG, like choices and attributes that actually matter. Bethesda games are still going to sell because they are basically more interactive Rockstar games, which people also still love, but what can you do?

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
It is getting SLAMMED. I'm very glad I didn't cave and pre-order this. From what I'm reading Beth just has utter contempt for PC as a platform. Which is strange when their games are all best played after modders fix and enhance them years after release.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Since when are there mods to fix dialogue, characters and story?

You can't really mod those in, so it's safe to say that no amount of mods will fix a Bethesda game.

baturinsky

Arcane
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm surprised. I mean, it sucks, that much we already knew. But even most trolls on the net loved Beth's games. So, what changed? Why suddenly everyone seems to hate it now? It's funny as hell, of course, but I don't get why it's happening only now.

Is Fallout 4 THAT bad? So bad that even generic-metacritic-poster-4149 needs to rate it 0? That's an achievement in itself.

As I've observed before, a person's enjoyment of a sequel or spiritual successor is how cleverly it expands on an earlier formative experience. Fallout 3/New Vegas were the formative experiences for a whole new generation of casual RPG fans, so displacing aspects of their design with cinematic Bioware stuff (when cinematics in video games in and of themselves are more polarizing than romances) was bound to antagonize a lot of players.

Zephyr Arsland

Learned
What the hell? Is this the work of hundreds of NMA sleeper agents? I refuse to believe standards have actually improved...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom