Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

deuxhero

Arcane
This guide seems to work for getting running on Linux. Only the slightest bit more effort than Windows would be (install needs you to cd to directory and run a simple command which launches GUI).

Edit: Is there a key command in MO2 to bring a mod up/down one slot? Dragging and dropping mostly works, but I have to right click to get mods to release from mouse.

Edit:
Any idea how to get xedit working on Linux?

Suggestions for weapon mods with Horizon? Currently
Bundle of Tape (mostly for Varmint Rifle)
Service Rifle
Grease Gun SMG
9mm Pistol (Browning Hi-Power) Redux
Riot Shotgun (Fallout 4 Edition)
Glock 86
LAER
Caravan Shotgun

Vanilla weapon replacers:
Thompson SMG Replacer
Nina's Proper Pipe Guns Replacer
(Any 10mm, Combat Rifle, Assault Rifle or Combat Shotgun replacements that are Horizon compatible welcome)

Edit:

After playing with it for a few dozen hours, I can tell you Horizon is crap. It does one thing, rebalance combat/weapons/armor, really well but suffers from an intense case of modder megolomania.

Even the combat suffers from your character getting a BAC of 0.5 anytime you try to aim down a weapon with a scope (and only if it has a scope). This isn't even a choice to force closer encounter distances either, as a scoped rifle still has VATS will have an 80+% chance for long distance head shot. Time delayed bandages and doctor skill instead of just stimpack spam is great, but this is one of the mod's many instances of its overcomplicated rules only applying to you: The only bandages that exist are those made by the player, those stocked in super low quantities at few vendors, and some randomly spawned in first aid boxes. You can kill hundreds of thugs and none of them have even rudimentary first aid kits to find forcing you to cut up their clothes, hope you find enough soap (itself super rare), and hike off to a crafting bench. Keep in mind Horizon expects you'll be using 5-10+ bandages items to recover your health.

Merchants still suffer from how there's still only two+near mutually exclusive faction HQs worth of civilization in the entire game world, all of which are concentrated in the center east of the map, supplemented by a few wandering traders and NPCs who randomly stock stuff. Horizon just compounds this problem with a trading skill that aside from influncing prices (OK) just arbitrarily locks off vendor inventory (again, not documented anywhere) if it's not super high (skills are effectively capped if you aren't level 15+). Now everything is rare not because it's actually scarce, but because merchants decide their best customer with thousands of caps to spare doesn't deserve to buy from them at any price. This even applies to vendors who are parts of quests and are explicitly super grateful to you, or are struggling to get any customers. This isn't even unlocking unique items for sale, it's literally just vendors force a 3 per customer rule if you aren't skilled enough in trade.

The settlements are still pointless except for a few resources that aren't common enough in the world (adhesive, pure water, maybe clean food) can be generated by them. You still just build a few things and get the resources you need then forget about settlements, except now instead of a few steps to generate those resources there's twelve, a bunch more unique resources (including freshly drilled crude oil for some reason) and a fucking tech tree to deal with. None of this makes the game fun, just even more tedious.

The most blatant case of changes because changes is that it overwrites the body model. It does nothing, it's not documented as being changed in mod description. There's absolutely zero benefit to changing this. Changing this makes it incompatible with the most popular mods without another mod to overwrite it. Why was this changed? Who knows!

Mod author is Civil War Overhaul tier nutcase. Incredibly hostile to anything but cocksucking.

Last edited:

ind33d

Educated
Beth should switch over to making survival/crafting systems and a large world map and letting modders fill in the quests and storylines like the RPG Maker series. This would also sidestep technical limitations for consoles and all the obvious censorship that the government forced into their games (like, for instance, Oblivion not having levitation and Starfield not having FUCKING ALIENS).

Nobody wants to buy Fallout 4, but if the "Fallout 4 Creation Kit" were the actual game and the main quest was just a tech demo like Shadowrun Returns, it would have gone over better. Making the Creation Kit more like Halo's Forge Mode should have been the focus, not giving the protagonists voice acting. The settlement system and AI improvements would be trivially easy to refine into a more systems-based game like Dwarf Fortress.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
Beth should switch over to making survival/crafting systems and a large world map and letting modders fill in the quests and storylines like the RPG Maker series. This would also sidestep technical limitations for consoles and all the obvious censorship that the government forced into their games (like, for instance, Oblivion not having levitation and Starfield not having FUCKING ALIENS).

Nobody wants to buy Fallout 4, but if the "Fallout 4 Creation Kit" were the actual game and the main quest was just a tech demo like Shadowrun Returns, it would have gone over better. Making the Creation Kit more like Halo's Forge Mode should have been the focus, not giving the protagonists voice acting. The settlement system and AI improvements would be trivially easy to refine into a more systems-based game like Dwarf Fortress.
This is a terrible idea. Have you played modders quests for 3, NV, and 4?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Enclave Remnants

Enclave Remnants brings the Pre-War cabal, The Enclave, into the Fallout 4 storyline. In this new quest, “Echoes of the Past,” can you stop The Enclave from spreading their dangerous ideology and gaining a foothold in the Commonwealth?

Along with workshop items and the Enclave Colonel uniform, we are including the following previously released Creation Club content:

• Enclave Weapon Skins
  • Enclave Armor Skins
  • Tesla Cannon
  • Hellfire Power Armor
  • X-02 Power Armor
  • Heavy Incinerator
Wow, Beth is really trying to milk the Enclave. I guess they saw the fan demand.
Also
>"Stop the Enclave from spreading and gaining a foothold in the commonwealth"
Now why would I do that, especially in Fallout 4?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
And all modders rejoice

Said no one ever

This is probably to inject the paid mod system like they have in Skyrim

The Jester

Cipher
Enclave Remnants

Enclave Remnants brings the Pre-War cabal, The Enclave, into the Fallout 4 storyline. In this new quest, “Echoes of the Past,” can you stop The Enclave from spreading their dangerous ideology and gaining a foothold in the Commonwealth?

Along with workshop items and the Enclave Colonel uniform, we are including the following previously released Creation Club content:

• Enclave Weapon Skins
  • Enclave Armor Skins
  • Tesla Cannon
  • Hellfire Power Armor
  • X-02 Power Armor
  • Heavy Incinerator
Wow, Beth is really trying to milk the Enclave. I guess they saw the fan demand.
Also
>"Stop the Enclave from spreading and gaining a foothold in the commonwealth"
Now why would I do that, especially in Fallout 4?
ezgif-6-80f64fb5ce.gif

deuxhero

Arcane
I know of at least two blatant, easily repeatable, bugs that were not fixed by any official or unofficial patch.
1: The Prydwyn spawns based on using a particular terminal to unlock an alternate exit to the dungeon, but NPC references to it are based on an unmissable trigger. This dungeon has 3 other exits the player could easily use, breaking the main quest.
2: Traveling to the Prydwyn by the Airport's vertibird (rather than fast travel) will kill companions by spawning them in mid-air after loading.
(Dishonorable mention goes to how companions love to kill themselves by falling, and the really, really shitty hitboxes with vault rails where the empty space between between the rails blatantly stops bullets.)

Watch them still be unfixed despite these promised bug fixes.

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I know of at least two blatant, easily repeatable, bugs that were not fixed by any official or unofficial patch.
1: The Prydwyn spawns based on using a particular terminal to unlock an alternate exit to the dungeon, but NPC references to it are based on an unmissable trigger. This dungeon has 3 other exits the player could easily use, breaking the main quest.
2: Traveling to the Prydwyn by the Airport's vertibird (rather than fast travel) will kill companions by spawning them in mid-air after loading.
(Dishonorable mention goes to how companions love to kill themselves by falling, and the really, really shitty hitboxes with vault rails where the empty space between between the rails blatantly stops bullets.)

Survivor mode in semi-Perma death is the only way the game with tension:

But...!

1. Running into stationary cars can kill you
2. Bug only in perma-death save on exit mode that will freeze lock your game, modder easily fixed it.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
TL;DR: Todd is about to next-gen your Fallout 4 with shit you never asked for at the cost of breaking the shit you did want.

"Stop the Enclave from spreading and gaining a foothold in the commonwealth"
We have Enclave-stopping at home.
How is the Enclave handled here? Are they still ruthless descendants of the pre-war political elite, or are they just NCR but with scarier uniforms?
It wouldn't be the Enclave without their absolute disregard for wastelanders and mutants. Though it would seem that the genocide angle was more Richardson's and Eden's stupidly that not all members were aware of.

Remember that in Fallout 2 the FEV weapon would have killed Enclave as well, hence the necessity for "inoculation". Fortunately, Bethesda seemed to have remembered that that plan was always meant to be retarded, hence the Autumn-Eden schism.

deuxhero

Arcane
Enclave was inconsistent in Fallout 2. You can get past the gas station by claiming to be joining the Enclave and they're working with the New Reno family for... something, which is completely against their characterization everywhere else.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, they aren't a well written faction overall.
Like, they're supposed to be extreme xenophobes who think outsiders aren't human, and yet they allow recruits from the outside into Navarro and even in Fallout 3 they recruited that Stiggs guy.

I understand the overall idea of the Enclave, that they are a satire of the American political elite and their disdain of wastelanders is supposed to be a sign of their elitism (think Hillary Clinton's infamous "deplorables" remark and her contempt for the working class), but then the writers just had to make them nazis with their genocide plots. At least they tried to make it so that the genocidal portion is just a small, extremist portion of the Enclave high command, but it is still pretty bad.

Of course, Bethesda, being Bethesda, then ran them into the ground in 3 by making them even more cartoonish villains who are also cannon-fodder (because as we all know, an organization who are suffering heavily from manpower shortages and a crippled command structure would just throw men away. Instead, I don't know, mass producing combat robots) with massively nerfed Advanced Power Armour mk2 suits.

Seriously, the Brotherhood were worrying about piercing Enclave armour, and I can kill them easily with targeted chinese assault rifle headshots. Fallout 3's armour system was dumb. Fallout New Vegas fixed it by bringing back DT (even better with Jsawyer, which gives armour both DT and DR, just like the old games), but then Bethesda fucked it up again in FO4 by removing it and made DR this absolutely convoluted mess of a calculation.

Last edited:

Melcar

Arcane
I viewed them more as an extension of a corrupt and hypocritical government, rather than an ideologically driven cult/faction. The top leadership fronting ideas of superiority and purity, but not above using undesirables if it benefits them. Their involvement in New Reno had similarities to the Iran-Contra thing in my mind. Them recruiting wasteland thrash for menial work and as canon fodder also did not seem too weird to me.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, that's how they should be, but sadly they keep getting written as yet another brand of generic villains which are totally not Nazis.
Even FNV is guilty of this, with Gannon referring to them as fascists. I really doubt the Enclave based their structure on the writings of Giovanni Gentile and Georges Sorell.

The Enclave should have always been a bunch of ruthless opportunists. They may hate your guts, they may think you to be a filthy, irradiated wastelander, but if they can send you to die instead of one of their own they will do so and tell you that you are doing your country a service in the process. You know, like what they did prewar.

But no, everyone keeps making them the brain-dead genocidal faction who keep losing even though they are supposed to have access to the best tech in the wasteland.

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
How is the Enclave handled here?
No idea, ain't played it. :-D All I know is it exists, it's supposed to be a full quest line providing an alternate solution to the main plot, and you get to pick whether to stick with 'em or turn against 'em at some point. In any case, it's a bit more involved than a bunch of random encounters around the Commonwealth.

ferratilis

Magister
Isn't Fallout London launching around the same time this update is due? Would it be too far fetched to assume Todd wants to sabotage that mod because he knows it will be better than the base game?

Gargaune

Magister
Isn't Fallout London launching around the same time this update is due? Would it be too far fetched to assume Todd wants to sabotage that mod because he knows it will be better than the base game?
It's theoretically scheduled for St. George's Day, April 23rd. I'm more pissed off at the possibility they'll coordinate with Bethesda to push it a few more days to launch after their "next-gen update" and possibly end up requiring it.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I just want them to fix the "Rusty Face" bug.

As I understand it, it's due to the game "timing out" while loading assets, which in a best case results in invisible meshes, the "rusty faces" with improper lighting, and so on.
But in more typical cases, crashes, because it's trying to do physics, shadows, and other rendering with things that were only half loaded.

The current mod fix just "reloads" the item and hope it works this time.

Late Bloomer

Scholar

Back in my day we called it the black face bug. Still do. But you do you. Wouldn't want to insult the 10 black fallout/skyrim fans, I guess. Happened in Skyrim too, although rare in both games.

mqdefault.jpg

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Back in my day we called it the black face bug. Still do. But you do you. Wouldn't want to insult the 10 black fallout/skyrim fans, I guess. Happened in Skyrim too, although rare in both games.

mqdefault.jpg
Every time I've seen it in Skyrim, it's because the NPC replacer mods weren't correct.
i.e. the load order is inverted vs the mods' installation order (thanks for doing that, LOOT).
The important thing is, when it happened, you could be sure others with your exact load order would see the same NPCs with a black face.

With Fallout 4 it just happens as a matter of course, and gets more and more common the more you've modded the game.
Even when all the mods are correct, and the textures, tint masks, and such are all properly correlated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom