Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I never said Fallout was dead; that's a gross assumption on your end. And I'm also accepting reality: it's a buggy, bland, RPG. That is completely and objectively what the game is. How is an RPG tag meaningless, at all? Or any genre tag? I don't mean steam tags, I mean what the company itself labels its game as, which in this case was an Open World RPG that provided a boring world and shallow role playing experience.
Because almost anything qualifies as an 'RPG' these days. It's not like Codex has artistic control over the term. It's whatever marketers/publishers use. You can take exception to it but it's not going to change reality. Fallout IS dead. This is simply an action/RPG 'lite' game in the Fallout universe. Same as FO3.

Why people still bemoan that is beyond me. Beating a dead horse since 2009.

Shammy

Learned
Because almost anything qualifies as an 'RPG' these days. It's not like Codex has artistic control over the term. It's whatever marketers/publishers use. You can take exception to it but it's not going to change reality. Fallout IS dead. This is simply an action/RPG 'lite' game in the Fallout universe. Same as FO3.

Why people still bemoan that is beyond me. Beating a dead horse since 2009.
RPG in what sense? Role playing, or just shoe horned exp systems?

You can't generalize and say something like "almost anything qualifies as an RPG". Not only is it wrong, but it completely ignores genre-labeling for any sort of media, be it video games, movies, etc. And you completely ignored the rest of what I wrote, seriously now you're trying as little as bethesda's writing division at this point.

Lemming42

Arcane
Starting to warm up to this slightly as a mindless shooter. Just met Nick Valentine, who sent me into anaphylactic shock by being a character in a Bethesda game with some actual personality.

The dungeons (or buildings I suppose) themselves are reasonably fun, but the overworld is so boring and devoid of anything other than copypasted buildings in awkward locations that it makes you want to just run past everything and try to speed up the main quest.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
you can build different characters that play differently, therefore it's an RPG. fuck off with your storyfag bullshit

Shammy

Learned
you can build different characters that play differently, therefore it's an RPG. fuck off with your storyfag bullshit
Playing differently crafted characters while also playing them out narratively, not just combat wise. That's literally part of the definition of an RPG, so why would you ignore something so crucial to the genre as story?

Beastro

Arcane
The title says the lper cut stuff out to dodge spoilers, is that what you're talking about?

Edit: I guess you edited out the bit I was referring to before I hit reply.

Yeah I noticed that after posting and linked the spoiler one.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Playing differently crafted characters while also playing them out narratively, not just combat wise. That's literally part of the definition of an RPG, so why would you ignore something so crucial to the genre as story?

It's not literally part of the definition, there have been games labeled rpgs where you just followed a linear story since the advent of the genre. It may be true for tabletop shit where it's easy to create storyline changes on the fly but when it comes to computer RPGs influence over the story has generally been superficial at best.

Beastro

Arcane

I can think of a lot of games that fit your description that are the last thing I'd call RPGs.

There's more to the genre than others and different games in the genre have focused on some of those angles more than others at times. It's why it gets the BS confusion surrounding . Bethesda and others lean on some of those angles so much they throw their games over the railing and into territory that isn't RPGland.

Everyone knows what a First Person Shooter is. Without those three words in it is not an FPS, But people have different affinities (not ideas - assholes like Bethesda like to claim new unrelated shit is roleplaying by pulling the term out of context into territory that makes every game an RPG) for what they like in RPGs and that's reflected with all the -fag titles thrown at others here.

Shammy

Learned
It's not literally part of the definition, there have been games labeled rpgs where you just followed a linear story since the advent of the genre. It may be true for tabletop shit where it's easy to create storyline changes on the fly but when it comes to computer RPGs influence over the story has generally been superficial at best.
It is literally part of the definition, you know it's in the dictionary right? I'm not just pulling this out of my ass when I say it's literally part of the definition. Story is so important to a well made RPG that I can't wrap my head around how you can think otherwise, let alone even use that as an excuse for Fallout 4's abysmal narrative.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
It is literally part of the definition, you know it's in the dictionary right? I'm not just pulling this out of my ass when I say it's literally part of the definition. Story is so important to a well made RPG that I can't wrap my head around how you can think otherwise, let alone even use that as an excuse for Fallout 4's abysmal narrative.

I can think otherwise because games like might and magic had linear storylines and nobody is dumb enough to say they're not RPGs.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
So how's base building?

Pretty janky. Encourages you to pick up every little fucking piece of scrap everywhere even moreso than in past games, which really messes with the part of my brain that wants to play the game efficiently. Overall makes the game worse imo.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Steam tells me me 7 of my 'friends' own Fallout 4. Including 5 codexers. Terrible, absolutely terrible.

That is, how they can play before me because this releases one day late in Asia wtf?

Shammy

Learned
I can think otherwise because games like might and magic had linear storylines and nobody is dumb enough to say they're not RPGs.
Linear =/= bad narrative. A narrative serves as a vehicle for the role player, and when it's done horrendously it can really hinder a game's quality.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Linear =/= bad narrative. A narrative serves as a vehicle for the role player, and when it's done horrendously it can really hinder a game's quality.

what the fuck does the quality of the narrative have to do with whether it's an RPG or not, which is what we were discussing?

Shammy

Learned
what the fuck does the quality of the narrative have to do with whether it's an RPG or not, which is what we were discussing?
This entire conversation spawned from the topic of how badly Fallout 4's narrative/role playing was handled?

You also responded to me calling Fallout 4's narrative awful by directly referencing a game with a minimal focus on story, to which I responded that whether or not the plot is the main focus of an RPG it is still a crucial part of the experience.

Beastro

Arcane
Pretty janky. Encourages you to pick up every little fucking piece of scrap everywhere even moreso than in past games, which really messes with the part of my brain that wants to play the game efficiently. Overall makes the game worse imo.

Move over hiking simulator, hello hoarder simulator.

Only Bethesda's gone all Moebius Strip so now you can store your hoard in a building made out of your hoard.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
I responded to your repeated claims that Fallout 4 is not an RPG, which you justified by claiming:

You don't play out anything narratively in dungeon crawlers (the bulk of RPGs) that revolve entirely around gunning/beating/cutting shit down (and Bethesda's fallouts have been no exception, they are open world dungeon crawlers where everything is an excuse to go into some broken down ruin and beat/shoot/blow shit up.

After the beatdown you started to pretend the conversation was actually about the quality of the story, which is just a way to avoid admitting you were wrong.

Shammy

Learned
I responded to your repeated claims that Fallout 4 is not an RPG, which you justified by claiming:

You don't play out anything narratively in dungeon crawlers (the bulk of RPGs) that revolve entirely around gunning/beating/cutting shit down (and Bethesda's fallouts have been no exception, they are open world dungeon crawlers where everything is an excuse to go into some broken down ruin and beat/shoot/blow shit up.

After the beatdown you started to pretend the conversation was actually about the quality of the story, which is just a way to avoid admitting you were wrong.
I never said it wasn't an RPG? I said it was a bad RPG: "And I'm also accepting reality: it's a buggy, bland, RPG." was one of my previous statements. So no, you're making up bullshit. And I also said it narrative was a vehicle for role players, not the end all be all of a game. I'm beginning to think you've ignored everything I've said on the last page and just want to argue about story's place in RPGs.

Alfons

Prophet
Second video in and Robbaz already has Power Amrour.

:|

Honest question, why do you watch this faggot? The sound of his voice makes me want to shove hot soldering irons in my ears.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom