Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Bradylama

Arcane
I think if you want to compare the plots of New Vegas and FO4, NV did have quite a lot of issues with pacing and fleshing out its themes. The story didn't really even tie together until all of the DLC came out, which basically meant that if you played from Day 1 and bought all the DLC at full price you were paying over a hundred bucks just to tie up all the loose ends in the story. That said, the stories aren't at all comparable. NV had a lot to say about human nature, history, systems of power, and the way that brutality begets brutality. It was also able to tell it all in an original way. FO4 on the other hand cribs all of its good ideas from other, better sci fi, and doesn't present any of it in an original or thought provoking way. In fact, in a lot of places it's really stupid and poorly thought out. NV also made up for its shortcomings in the plot by having multiple endings based on several variables that gave gravity to your choices as a player. FO4 on the other hand has the same ending regardless of what you did, just so the game can be left open to do more settlement shit or grind enough popamole quests and respawning enemies to max out your perk chart.

Lemming42

Arcane
Bit the bullet and watched (skimmed through actually, so as to minimize exposure to his attempts at being funny) Angry Joe's review. It's actually surprisingly fair although, predictably, he rates the game overall way higher than I or most other people here would.

But he shits on the dialogue, mentions specifically that fans of 1/2/NV will probably be let down - even using the phrase "dumbing down", rips the piss out of the bugs, shits on the loading times, etc

When even Angry Joe AKA Mr Fallout 3 Kicks Ass is shitting on your game, you've made a colossal fuck-up.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The story in FO4 seems like it was written for a cyberpunk setting and then adapted to Fallout. Stuff like being cryogenically frozen, replicants everywhere and tropey characters like the reporter and pulp fiction detective are very out of place in a post-apocalypse but would fit right into a cyberpunk world.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The story in FO4 seems like it was written for a cyberpunk setting and then adapted to Fallout. Stuff like being cryogenically frozen, replicants everywhere and tropey characters like the reporter and pulp fiction detective are very out of place in a post-apocalypse but would fit right into a cyberpunk world.

That's because it's Bethesda's Wouldn't it be cool if™ design philosophy.

I am honestly surprised they didn't add dragons to this... :M

ArchAngel

Arcane
Did the first quest with Paladin Dance yesterday. I found it irritating that synths attack in such numbers and are so easily killed. If Raiders are Fallout's Orcs, Synths are Fallout's Hobgoblins or something.
I prefer scary Synths from WL2. I would rather see them be high level enemies that are dangerous in smaller numbers.

Lemming42

Arcane
Just to beat a dead horse here, has anyone still playing this shit figured out why Super Mutants are in the game? Was an explanation ever offered, even if it was one as pathetic as the one in Fo3? I don't recall their presence being addressed at all.

Gerrard

Arcane
This is the key to understanding Fallout 4.

rs1G2UT.jpg

baturinsky

Arcane

Fallout 4's "redefining humanity" theme is actually very true to Fallout 1 and 2 stories.

Fallout 1: we repair water purifier. But actually, it's about saving humans from mutants (not-quite humans engineered to replace humans, but poorly).

Fallout 2: we save mutants from humans (according to Enclave purist view). But actually, it's about political struggle. There are lots of different kinds of intelligent non-humans, from Deathclaws to plants and robots and cyborgs.

Fallout 3: we repair water purifier, like Fallout 1 (as Bethesda thought)

New Vegas: about political struggle, like Fallout2, pretty well done, but not much else and not quite deep.

Fallout 4: about what is human, how much human can change while staying human and how closer to human non-human can be made. It takes main theme that ties Fallout 1 and 2, and digs in even deeper and wider than they did. Of cause, it says nothing that sci-fi has already haven't done to death, but yet, it's pretty well and thoroughly done.

Did the first quest with Paladin Dance yesterday. I found it irritating that synths attack in such numbers and are so easily killed. If Raiders are Fallout's Orcs, Synths are Fallout's Hobgoblins or something.
I prefer scary Synths from WL2. I would rather see them be high level enemies that are dangerous in smaller numbers.

In a battle the Synths take it, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddkd5t1wW8Y

This is further backed up by a subway dungeon nearby Memford Memorial Hospital, where for some reason the Synths are trying to pry out a heavily entrenched band of Raiders. In the areas where Raiders don't have barricades, traps, mines and Auto-Turrets set up Synths usually outlast them through redundancy. Probably didn't hurt that one of them went full on Legendary due to my presence.

Bradylama

Arcane
Well the other important distinction is that Fallout 1&2 very clearly established that the Super Mutants are people, and not monsters to beat up. Fallouts 3 & 4 completely undermine the racist (both political and biological) themes at the core of Fallout by turning Super Mutants into one-dimensional baddies who only exist to be destroyed. Even your super mutant companion is a brutal fuckwit who loves it when you kill innocent people. The only super mutant who isn't a complete retard is a former scientist, and he wants to go back to being human ASAP. Or to sum it up, Fallout 4 undermines its own themes regarding the nature of humanity by being racist against Super Mutants.

Perkel

Arcane

Actually good review.

- he clearly says that he enjoyed game but not for RPG in it but for everything else like exploring and shooting.
- dialogs are busted
- UI is shit
- introduced factions didn't do much and ending with them is bad
- bugs/glitches
- crafting is good
- settlements feels unfinished but have potential
- using same engine since ever
- power armor from start feels weird but it is good addition

And his brutal dialog comparison feat sweet sweet enclave dialog:

This is what most of people here says. It is good game but horrible RPG. It feels like playing Far Cry games instead of RPG.

Imo if we considered it RPG then we should also consider games like Far Cry or Just Cause RPG they also feature ton of dialogs and limited choices.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Just like Fallout 4/2. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Just to beat a dead horse here, has anyone still playing this shit figured out why Super Mutants are in the game? Was an explanation ever offered, even if it was one as pathetic as the one in Fo3? I don't recall their presence being addressed at all.
it just works.

Mozg

Arcane
I wish they'd stolen the nightkin insanity thing from 2010 Obs. It gives supermutants the ability to do Bethesda durhur humor like the Black Mountain Radio one, gives smart super mutants a reason that they aren't an implied imminent threat to everyone around (they're not multiplying and taking care of nightkin and FO3 supermutants), and you can still have FO3 stupids to be variety trash mobs. Clearly the result of some "How can we do dumb Bethesda shit without actually not caring about the finished product?" brainstorming at Obs.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected

The Institute at first using FEV to create Super Mutants to bind them as subject to carry out their experiment on Surface, the FEV as expected is failure because their own brand of Super Mutants is too wild to control. So they change their plan to using Synth instead.

It seems in Bethesda Fallout, everyone including their moms had a secret FEV project to create their own Super Mutants :lol:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I just still can't get over the fact that Diamond City is apparently organized enough to need a fucking newspaper in order to keep up with all the goings on in a city of maybe two dozen people, yet none of them have ever bothered to try make any weapons better than wooden/aluminium baseball bats and guns made from wiring fucking pipes together.

Seriously, it's two hundred years after the apocalypse, there are apparently dozens of pre-war weapons lying around that are fully functional, you guys are clever enough to magyver fully automatic weaponry out of fucking piping and wire but you can't be arsed trying to reverse-engineer one of the dozens of fully functional combat rifles just laying around?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom