Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The video gave us a facinating insight into Bethesda's "press demonstrations" tho:

Apparently the journalists get grouped and sheparded around by a BGS employee on a guided tour, making sure they do not stray from the carefully prepared press demo path miss the exiting stuff! Press doesn't want to write about boring things amirite? :roll:

Hehe yeah. I can see it in front of me. Come on children, we got to watch the nuclear explosion!

What is so pathetic about it also is that we have seen that shit 4000 times already. So it's nothing at all to go wow at. It was is Fallout 3, Fallout 4 starts with it, and I actually think it's the same "nuke explosion" asset that gets played. And it has been seen in countless games before. Yes, Bethesda. We know Fallout involves nukes. Yes, we know it explode, like a lot...

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Bethesda should get this year's "Recycling Award". Lacking human NPCs to fly it, "vertibirds" are now "vertibots" dropping supply crates. No FO4 asset is left behind. :salute:

It's funny seeing IGN's video about this is called something like "A Surprising Lonely Multiplayer Game" after watching a little of the Gamespot and Game Informer videos talking about the IGN guy holding them up from doing things.

This game looks like something that came out last gen, and the recent crop of upcoming games that'll be coming out this month and in recent months to follow make this look even worse by comparison.

ADL

Prophet
Last edited:

Squid

Arbiter
No Fallout 76 support for mods or private servers until at least November 2019, with no mods allowed on public servers
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-76-how-mods-work-and-when-theyre-coming/1100-6462371/
Sad!

Also, did we know there were 24 player servers before this? What the fuck. That seems incredibly small for a map this large. I was expecting at least 30 as the worst case scenario.
I think they hinted at the size being like 20-30 pretty much. They may have confirmed it.

The mod thing is something they said would be a long while, wouldn't be surprised if it's Creation Club only mods too.

Turjan

Arcane
I had seen a Juicehead video, and he said that the framerate went down the further he went from the starting location. He tried to do a quest in the central location, but couldn't because the framerate became unplayable (something like 9 fps).

Game looks basically like Fallout 4 with a tree mod. Also looks as if those people there could basically do nearly everything there is to the game in those 3 hours. Sounds "exciting".

redactir

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
From what i've seen this game is turning out to be a very large and pathetic joke. I am surprised Vats even has aiming at individual body parts.

I've noticed the clunky perspective control and combat forces a very tight teamplay proximity to frequently occur.
It in turn diminishes an already uninspired world design into smaller mediocre parts.

The bigger picture as far as I can tell is it's like FO:T but no campaign, instead just a single vague mission. Also no tactics.

Can you imagine how disappointing it would be to play this game?

1) Look how pretty yet not inspired our game looks.
2) I pew pew, you pew pew, we pew pew, pew pew.
3) Look there be a landmark which is somewhat impressive relative to others, screenshot everyone!

On the plus side they do have a few new creatures.
They should become Monster Hunter World asap. Simple yet to the point.

This game has nothing to do with Fallout.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The PvP will be interesting. Can't hit that guy? Just let the auto-aim do it for you... killing the guy depends of course if he will return fire or not. Man. Such a disaster, from the idea to the actual game design choices.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
0P4F7Du.jpg

Guess it is time for me to leave.

They actually retconned the BoS back further in the timeline.

:prosper:

*dumps remaining Fallout lore out anus*

Moink

Cipher
Can they even retcon it that far back without retconing the entire creation of the BoS?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-76-isnt-a-proper-fallout-game-but-its-fun-anyway/

Fallout 76 isn't a proper Fallout game, but it’s fun anyway
Its big, busy world just might make up for its lack of NPCs and dialogue.

We've posted lots of stories and videos about Fallout 76 following our hands-on time with an Xbox One build last week. We showed you how disappointing VATS is, the game's cool treasure maps, the fun-sounding assassination radio station, what it's like to have a huge nuke plopped on us, and of course there's a heap of gaming footage to watch.

But is Fallout 76, like... good? Is it fun? Having played a bit of it, is it something I'm still excited about?

Three hours of play isn't nearly enough to make a real judgement, but I definitely want to play more as soon as I can. It was fun, and I am still excited for the Fallout 76 beta and full game in November—though there are a few things that have dampened my enthusiasm a bit.

Almost heaven, West Virgina

The West Virginia of Fallout 76 is a big world, and while three hours only allowed us to stomp around on a small portion of it, the areas we visited were packed full of stuff. I spent some time playing in a group but I also wandered off to explore on my own and found I never had to go too far before stumbling across something to do.

There was a cool server event where I had to activate and protect a robot as it patrolled a town full of feral ghouls. While wandering in the woods I found a series of tree houses connected by rope bridges that could be explored with a lot of climbing and jumping. I came across a power station and a relay tower packed with enemies, and a mission to reactivate both structures. Plus there were lots of ruined houses to loot, an abandoned underground mine, and a whole bunch of random monster encounters. I even ran into the Mothman, briefly. Fallout 76 feels like a big place packed to the gills with things to keep you busy.

Fallout 76 is also sprinkled with the conveniences of a singleplayer Fallout game. You can fast-travel around the map, using your buddies, your camp, or server events as fast-travel markers. Dying seems like it's barely a stumbling block: you won't lose your weapons and can usually respawn very close to where you died. It's a world that encourages you to explore it, and makes it easy to return home again.

Forgiving survival

As an online shooter with PvP, Fallout 76 feels exceedingly forgiving. If you elect to participate in PvP and are killed, you only lose your junk: your screws and tape and desk fans and whatever other random crap you only picked up so you could turn into scrap for crafting at the nearest workbench. While someone can stalk and kill you even if you don't want to fight, they'll be labeled an outlaw and assigned a bounty, probably causing them more trouble than it's worth. Plus, with only two dozen players on a server at once, it's unlikely you'll be hounded to all four corners of the map by people who want to kill you. I took part in one PvP battle during our hands-on session, was promptly killed, and respawned quickly not far away, basically no worse for wear.

There are survival elements like eating and drinking, but at least in the early game and relatively gentle starting zone of The Forest they feel tame. If you don't eat or drink for a while you'll lose action points, but the drain is so slow and there's so much stuff to loot it doesn't seem like it'd ever be a real problem. Even when starving and dehydrated, we were told it'd be ages until you actually died from it.

Maybe both of those points sound like complaints, and for some, they might be: I'm sure there will be players will be looking for a more extreme survival simulator. But personally, I'm happy to not have to worry much about food and drink or being repeatedly confronted with meaningful PvP. I am not looking for a harsh and unforgiving survival experience in Fallout 76 or to be constantly be hunted by players—but I wonder if it's all so forgiving it might turn off people who are looking for a hardcore DayZ or Rust-style PvP survival game.

Talk to me

I can't say I really missed having a bunch of NPCs to chat with and dialogue choices to make, but in this hands-on session I was mainly rushing around looking for things to do, not people to talk to. In the long term, though, I'm pretty sure I'll miss having conversations with AI characters, not just in terms of story but because they provide an opportunity for roleplaying. Deciding upon the nature of your character—if they're kind and helpful, evil and ruthless, or something in between—often stems from conversations with NPCs. Even just being given a choice between "I'll help you" and "I'll help you, but it's gonna cost you" can stir up some thoughts on who your character might really be deep down inside.

This makes me wonder what kind of roleplaying Fallout 76 will facilitate. You can roleplay with other human players, naturally (there will be proximity voice chat as well as team chat), but only when you actually encounter them, and in an online game there's no guarantee you'll run into anyone at all for large stretches of time. I wasn't a huge fan of the settlement system of Fallout 4, but it was still nice to have human NPCs strolling around, manning defenses, and sleeping in beds, and giving you a bit of chit-chat. It made the world feel more alive. In the times you're not surrounded by friends or strangers in Fallout 76, and no NPCs to chat with, I wonder if it will feel alive at all.

Persistent thoughts

A while back I played Rust every few days over a span of about a month. I found a medium-population server, built a little shack near some other dwellings, and over time met some of the locals who played there. They weren't my friends, but they were mostly friendly. Sometimes I'd log in and see them, other times I wouldn't. But even when they weren't there, their stuff was. Their homes and bases were always right near mine. I'd login and see their progress, see how their bases had grown, and see new dwellings that had been built in the area. It was, in other words, like a neighborhood. It was a community, it had persistence even when I was the only one around. Sure, sometimes I'd login and some of our bases had been busted up by raiding players but it still felt like a little town.

One concern I've had (and still have) is with Bethesda's servers. I just can't get behind the idea of not having a server browser, of not residing on a server of your choice, one you can revisit repeatedly. I know my base will appear in the same spot whenever I login, but it's weird to think that a base built near mine simply won't be there the next time I login because the person who built it isn't around. Unless they're my personal friend, I'll probably never see them again. It could be difficult to really feel like you're rebuilding America if the buildings all vanish when their architects log out. Maybe it's better that people won't be able to trash your base while you're logged out, but it comes with a price of never feeling like you're part of a persistent world.

I guess we'll find out in November. And my reservations aside, now that I've played a bit of Fallout 76, I'm definitely ready for more.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Fallout....Fallout has changed. It's no longer about cause and effect, turnbased combat, and that dank isometric goodness. It's an endless series of FATMAN nukes, shot by retconned Brotherhood of Steel faggots wearing T60 Power Armor that yell AD VICTORIAM! Fallout has become a well-oiled machine. Fallout has become routine. Fallout has become...MAINSTREAM. Abandon ship! Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

Toront Rayne is dead.
From now on...call me...Bigg Boss. Infinitron

The video gave us a facinating insight into Bethesda's "press demonstrations" tho:

Apparently the journalists get grouped and sheparded around by a BGS employee on a guided tour, making sure they do not stray from the carefully prepared press demo path miss the exiting stuff! Press doesn't want to write about boring things amirite? :roll:
did you forget how latest bethestard games were reviewed? all the journos in a room, trying the game for a very limited time, always controlled, always suprevised, then articles had to be read and screenshots to be checked before approval.
i can't remember if this story specifically came up with f3 or skyrim but i'm not making it up.

Rodcocker

Arbiter
I'm not a graphics whore, but man these graphics are so bad it makes me sick.

There are is something about the awful low-res textures, low-poly, completely square corridors. It looks like a bag of bent dicks.

This game will fuck-off a lot of Bethtard fanboys. The only questions is: can they keep milking enough money out of the online addicts to make the whole thing a financial hit.

Probably, yeah.

Squid

Arbiter
As long as the playerbase shows to be growing that's all they care about. They aren't concerned if they lose old fans or even post-Fallout 3 fans. They just want to grow their audience.

ZeniBot

Cipher
problem with the grieving system (aka the Murderer system) is that it assumes only one outlier is going to do it. What is to stop half the server grouping together and murdering the other half?
That's where their entire system falls the fuck apart. It only works if the lambs group together to hunt the wolves, but if the wolves get together with high level equipment they can just keep doing it over and over and over and over and over.
They are assuming way too much from their customers. The whole one shot to engage PVP shit is also retarded because it punishes you for fighting back.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The fans bark, but the wiki moves on: https://fallout.gamepedia.com/Brotherhood_of_Steel_(West_Virginia)

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...nned-the-brotherhood-of-steel-into-fallout-76

Baffled Fallout 76 fans are scratching their heads over "highly unlikely" Brotherhood of Steel retcon

We already know the new Fallout game is going to be a little, well, different. As a multiplayer game in the Fallout franchise, it focuses on player to player interactions and consequently doesn't have any NPCs.

On the surface, this decision seems pretty radical - NPCs have played a key worldbuilding function in all past Fallout titles. But this doesn't mean Fallout 76 doesn't have its own lore. Thanks to the recent lifting of a gameplay embargo, fans have taken a closer look at the world of Appalachia, including some of the notes used to give players quests.

One of these has caused some concern.

In a Reddit post by Baffodil, a discussion has emerged over a note which mentions a quest involving the Brotherhood of Steel. The techno-religious paramilitary organisation, famous for its legendary power armour and secretive nature, seems to have been involved in the world of Fallout 76 for some time, having "warned" inhabitants about an impending threat.

The problem is that according to fans, they shouldn't be there at all.

jpg

Bethesda doesn't seem to be following the letter of the lore.

As Baffodil explains, the lore of the other Fallout games (including the originals) suggests the first recorded activity from the Brotherhood of Steel was in California in the year 2134. Before this point, it's essentially "implied canon" that the organisation was holed up in its Lost Hills bunker, unwilling to fully venture out into the world until the year 2150.

Fallout 76, meanwhile, takes place in West Virginia in the year 2102. Not only is this earlier than the Brotherhood was supposed to leave its bunker, but it's a damn long distance from Cali. According to Baffodil, an established Brotherhood of Steel presence in West Virginia before 2102 "should be downright implausible if not impossible".

"It's highly unlikely a few vertibirds would have the fuel required to make the distance and back even within the time frame of 25 years [since the end of the Great War]," a baffled Baffodil continues. "Even then the Brotherhood shouldn't have vertibirds at this point either, as they acquired them from the Enclave after the events of Fallout 2 in the 2200's, and even if they did have them at this point, they would require fuel they didn't have". Personally, I have to agree - 25 years seems like a pretty quick turnaround to establish an organisation and travel across a continent after a nuclear apocalypse. I haven't even been alive for that long.

jpg

Post-apocalyptic road trip, anyone?

There had previously been speculation the Brotherhood of Steel would be involved in Fallout 76. As reported by Video Game Revolution, vertibirds and suspiciously Brotherhood-esque symbols had been spotted in the multiplayer trailer for Fallout 76. The note, however, officially confirms the faction is involved.

So what's Bethesda's explanation for the changes? In comments made to GameSpot, vice president Pete Hines explained the developer takes lore seriously, but that it won't be "beholden to something that somebody wrote 20 years ago even in franchises that we created like the Elder Scrolls".

"Having said that, we don't take it lightly to just go 'ah, we're just going to do whatever the hell we want'," he continues. "There has to be a thought process - what is the rationale? Why would there be super mutants, or the Brotherhood of Steel? There's absolutely reasons and explanations for how all that ties to Fallout 76."

jpg

My personal theory. You can have this one for free, Bethesda.

Eurogamer contacted Bethesda for comment on the lore of Fallout 76, for what it's worth.

It sounds like Bethesda has some plans in store for how it will explain the Brotherhood of Steel's presence in West Virginia. In the meantime, baffled fans have been trying to create their own explanations on Fallout's wikipedia pages. One suggests an expedition was dispatched to the area in the decades following the end of the Great War in 2077. Maybe they rode rockets over there, REPCONN style? Time to get creative.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom