Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout New Vegas or Morrowind?

Do you prefer Morrowind approach or FONV approach to open world introduction?

• Morrowind (short intro then do whatever you want)

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Fallout: New Vegas (more explicit path to follow with lots of optional content along the way)

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Depends (explain below)

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
For everything that New Vegas did right it still had base decline features such as quest markers.
Quest markers wouldn't be so bad if they didn't go full in on them in games like the ones Bethesda makes. Point me to the location, that's fine. You marked it on my map, which is what the dialog typically says. But as I said in a different thread, Bethesda quest markers go well beyond a map waypoint. They take you right to the NPC, the monster, or the item hidden in one of the many chests within the dungeon. It's not marked on my map, it's clairvoyance. The same thing goes for the markers on the compass that tells you where things you can't even see are around you. If there's a mine entrance in Skyrim on the other side of the hill, the compass shouldn't tell me there's a mine entrance until I have line of sight on it. It's kind of amazing they went from Morrowind which probably could have used a little more map stuff to giving me almost omniscient knowledge of everything I need to know about where to go to complete my goals.
Fallout New Vegas: you are encouraged to go along the path of Goodsprings -> Primm -> Outpost > Nipton > Novac > Boulder City > The Strip.
My first time through, I actually turned left and went to Nipton as opposed to the Outpost first. My second time through, I went North instead of going to Primm and thought, foolishly, that I could just outrun the Deathclaws and make it to The Strip. Yeah, that didn't work so well.

Drakortha

Liturgist
It's kind of amazing they went from Morrowind which probably could have used a little more map stuff to giving me almost omniscient knowledge of everything I need to know about where to go to complete my goals.
The first time I finished Morrowind from start to finish was when I was 13 years old sitting in front of my TV screen with a controller in my hand and a print of the Morrowind map in front of me. When an NPC gave me directions for a quest, the map actually referenced everything the NPC's told me and it's how I was able to complete the game.

Bethesda treats their current players like they are more stupid than a 13 year old.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The first time I finished Morrowind from start to finish was when I was 13 years old sitting in front of my TV screen with a controller in my hand and a print of the Morrowind map in front of me. When an NPC gave me directions for a quest, the map actually referenced everything the NPC's told me and it's how I was able to complete the game.

Bethesda treats their current players like they are more stupid than a 13 year old.
The only things that gave me trouble was when it told me something was in a cave or a crypt, and you head that direction and find a hill with multiple caves/crypts. If you're lucky, they told you a name. I played it on the PC with a browser opened to the map of Morrowind with all the locations on the map, and I would just alt-tab to consult the map. I beat Morrowind, but I'm not going to say it wouldn't have been a better experience if the game map did what I was having to do with the alt-tab.

Beans00

Erudite
The only things that gave me trouble was when it told me something was in a cave or a crypt, and you head that direction and find a hill with multiple caves/crypts. If you're lucky, they told you a name. I played it on the PC with a browser opened to the map of Morrowind with all the locations on the map, and I would just alt-tab to consult the map. I beat Morrowind, but I'm not going to say it wouldn't have been a better experience if the game map did what I was having to do with the alt-tab.

boomer moment

NV nudges you in a certain direction, then branches out, while Morrowind is truly open from the start. You can go to Balmora, Vivec, Hla Oad, you can explore the islands, etc. All of it makes sense from the POV of a new character, while fighting Cazadores in the first hour of NV is obviously a hardcore challenge.

NV, like classic Fallout, presents each area as a stage for a specific dilemma involving different factions, often functioning like an episode in a TV serial. Will you favor faction A or faction B? The player's actions decide the future of each location. In Morrowind you do things for people, but this is not necessarily reflected in some larger outcome specific to that area. The factions that exist are normally dispersed throughout the map and you do a lot more back and forth for that and other reasons, like catching the silt strider, visiting certain merchants or storing loot. You'll be visiting places like Balmora time and time again, even without a related quest.

Morrowind offers a main quest as an option, which you can skip entirely. NV's events unfold as you explore different environments. The latter's approach is more sophisticated, more grounded in conventional "game design" wisdom. You can play Morrowind for hundreds of hours with dozens of characters and never bother to "finish the game", that is, the main quest. Is this a problem? No, as long as you're absorbed in what you're doing for whatever reason.

Ultimately, I gravitate more towards Morrowind's approach. It's riskier and more ambitious, but it works in Morrowind due to the richness and depth of its world, which also can't be separated from its sandboxy mechanics like creating spells.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
How about - both games are fine, just don't lock me into 10+ minutes of cut scenes? I've played computer crpg games before - let me hop out of the fucking cart, Skyrim!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom