Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout: New Vegas

MetalCraze

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
skyway said:
What's your point?

I didn't say Obsidian. I said Avellone and Sawyer.
Yes and what did Avellone do?
KotOR2 where different dialogue choices lead to the exact same responses - the same crap Bioware is bashed for? KotOR2 where the story ends up so lame and as TSLRP beta proved Avellone really fucked up in the end.
Alpha Protocol? The game looks like a generic console shooter with useless stats and minigames - a new low for Obsidian.

And what did Sawyer do that wasn't a mediocrity?

When it comes to Fallout, they are second only to the original team. Can they fuck it up? Absolutely. However, unlike Bethesda who simply couldn't do it right, there is a very high chance that these guys can do a proper Fallout game. That's all I'm saying.
They can?
Oh but will they do it by themselves? That's why "Obsidian". Obsidian is very crappy dev team, basically everything except MotB was a terrible game, so what's the fascination with them?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Black said:
They are making new Fallout for bethesda, the way bethesda wants them to make it. Doesn't matter if you have Cain, Boyarsky, Taylor etc as new Fallout devs if Todd controls everything.

Dunno lad. It's not like Bioware was controlling everything in nwn2 and KotOR2.

Longshanks

Augur
[blind optimism]Wow! Maybe something good will actually come of Bethesda purchasing the Fallout IP.[/blind optimism]

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Vault Dweller said:
JarlFrank said:
...by the gods, they should start making more games of their own. Even their now most probably cancelled Alien RPG was based off another franchise. Everything they do is based off another franchise. They probably don't have any people who can create settings or something.
Yeah, because that's what every publisher wants. An original and creative IP. It's quite a wet dream. Think before you post?

I imagine that Obsidian is already well-known enough as a studio to be able to make original IPs. When Bethesda would come up with their own original IP, everyone would salivate over it. And Bioware, Obsidian's "big brother" are creating their own IP with Dragon Age right now. There's no reason why Obsidian can't do it, either.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
anyway, an hour and 20 minutes have already produced 3 pages of rants. I foresee at least 8 more by tomorrow evening :salute:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Black said:
Oh no, in fact, I believe they would be great for Fallout devs. So what? They are making new Fallout for bethesda, the way bethesda wants them to make it. Doesn't matter if you have Cain, Boyarsky, Taylor etc as new Fallout devs if Todd controls everything.
Oh cut this crap with "innocent Obsidian"
It isn't like Bethesda forced them to sign a contract to rape, Obsidian will more than gladly rape it for the profits. From lesser Bioware to lesser Bethesda in one jump.

Black

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Black said:
They are making new Fallout for bethesda, the way bethesda wants them to make it. Doesn't matter if you have Cain, Boyarsky, Taylor etc as new Fallout devs if Todd controls everything.

Dunno lad. It's not like Bioware was controlling everything in nwn2 and KotOR2.

it will be based on Fallout 3's engine and gameplay style.
So says Ausir.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
2zdxj4i.jpg

gothfox

Liturgist
I imagine that Obsidian is already well-known enough as a studio to be able to make original IPs.

Srsly. Obsidian is a studio which is well known to fuck up sequels. I'm not sure how this might translate to an ability to create new IPs and/or being successful at it.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
And I still have not played a single Fallout game.

I think more Fallout games will mean that the originals should become easier to find; maybe they'll make a collector's edition, and I'll finally get to playing this newfangled Fallout stuff everybody keeps talking about.

They already are. Gog.com, for example.

MetalCraze

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
I imagine that Obsidian is already well-known enough as a studio to be able to make original IPs. When Bethesda would come up with their own original IP, everyone would salivate over it. And Bioware, Obsidian's "big brother" are creating their own IP with Dragon Age right now. There's no reason why Obsidian can't do it, either.
Name me at least one original IP that Obsidian created.
KotOR - KotOR2
NWN - NWN2
Mass Effect - Mass Effect in Middle-East
Aliens - Aliens RPG (thankfully failed)
and now Fallout 3 - Fallout 3 New Rape

And Dragon Age - a new IP? I think it is more than clear that it is LotR rip-off

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
skyway said:
JarlFrank said:
Name me at least one original IP that Obsidian created.
KotOR - KotOR2
NWN - NWN2
Mass Effect - Mass Effect in Middle-East
Aliens - Aliens RPG (thankfully failed)
and now Fallout 3 - Fallout 3 New Rape

And Dragon Age - a new IP? I think it is more than clear that it is LotR rip-off

As I said, Obsidian never did make an original IP except for Alpha Protocol.
And what's even worse... two of their games, KotoR2 and NWN2, are not only based on the Star Wars and D&D universe... they're also sequels to *other* games which have been made in these settings. You can't get any more not-original-IP-creating than that.

Vince does have a point though. Creating original IPs is more risky and more expensive than making sequels to well-known and popular games. Still, Obsidian should have the possibilities of creating their own IPs by now [which they do with Alpha Protocol, but that's only one].

MetalCraze

Arcane
I just don't get this Codex' fascination with Obsidian. What is so special about them? I mean what did they do apart from MotB that wasn't crap? I don't get it.

gothfox

Liturgist
skyway said:
I just don't get this Codex' fascination with Obsidian. What is so special about them? I mean what did they do apart from MotB that wasn't crap? I don't get it.
Obsidian haz BIS guys! Gah! Or something.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Yeah, they got some guys who made good games in the past. Most notably Avellone.
They still suck at making combat interesting and creating bug-free games, though.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
JarlFrank said:
I imagine that Obsidian is already well-known enough as a studio to be able to make original IPs.
And what publisher would want to invest into a risky new setting?

When Bethesda would come up with their own original IP, everyone would salivate over it.
First, Bethesda is both a developer and a publisher. Second, what original IP? They spent the last decade milking TES and then bought the Fallout IP.

And Bioware, Obsidian's "big brother" are creating their own IP with Dragon Age right now. There's no reason why Obsidian can't do it, either.
a) Dragon Age was in a slow-cooking mode for years. It took Bio a long time to find a publisher and start a full scale development. And that's Bio, a proven moneymaker.
b) In case you didn't notice, Bio took very few risks with the setting and it's very hard to call it original.

MetalCraze

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Yeah, they got some guys who made good games in the past. Most notably Avellone.
Who did extremely shitty Descent to the Undermountain and a very good PS:T together with Planescape original creators who were helping him with everything design- and writing-wise. And then he showed his incompetence in KotOR2 and his desire to make games for dumb teenagers in AP. Avellone is extremely overrated.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Vault Dweller said:
Is there anything that indicates that Avellone and Sawyer aren't a good choice for Fallout developers?

They aren't making a brand new Fallout game. They're making a stand-alone add-on for Fallout 3. Behind the scenes, someone else is pulling the strings.

Phelot

Arcane
"It will be the same sort of role-playing game experience seen in Fallout 3"

So there will be shit lying everywhere that NPCs want to purchase for some reason.

Turok

Erudite
Don´t know whats the problem with you guys.

If Obsidian begin to make games like troika guess where they will end?

I enjoy all Obsidian games more than any other games the last years so i have no complains agains then.

Obsidian will do a good work on FO3, the game is not for my taste, so i dont buy it (i test it) and thats it, i dont rant all days how bad is the game and how fallout franchise is dead or wathever.

I just hope Obsidian have some good scripts and dialog inside the game, the game is desesperate for someone make more coherent writing and dialogs. The gameplay will not change, is hard change it if you have besheda over your shoulder telling what to do.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Black said:
Oh no, in fact, I believe they would be great for Fallout devs. So what? They are making new Fallout for bethesda, the way bethesda wants them to make it. Doesn't matter if you have Cain, Boyarsky, Taylor etc as new Fallout devs if Todd controls everything.
Why would Bethesda care? In fact, giving Obsidian the license is a smart move for Beth. They can't lose, no matter what happens.

And Fallout 3 wasn't that bad overall. It was an awful Fallout game, but that's one area that Obsidian can easily change. Tweak the character system, remove exploits from VATS, replace retarded dialogues with Good Stuff (TM), throw in more role-playing and different options, and you'll have a pretty good game. What seems to be the problem?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Vince does have a point though. Creating original IPs is more risky and more expensive than making sequels to well-known and popular games. Still, Obsidian should have the possibilities of creating their own IPs by now [which they do with Alpha Protocol, but that's only one].

I thought this was a forum for gamers and not business men. None of us give a flying fuck if something is risky or not, we just want a good game packaged in a fresh new IP.

Turok

Erudite
Hobo Elf said:
JarlFrank said:

I thought this was a forum for gamers and not business men. None of us give a flying fuck if something is risky or not, we just want a good game packaged in a fresh new IP.

So you expect that all companys fallow the steps of troika??

Nice then lets force obsidian to make a game that not appeal casual gamers, they will sell lets say 50 mil copys and then go to bankrupt, good.

Phelot

Arcane
Turok said:
Hobo Elf said:
JarlFrank said:

So you expect that all companys fallow the steps of troika??

Nice then lets force obsidian to make a game that not appeal casual gamers, they will sell lets say 50 mil copys and then go to bankrupt, good.

But the problem is that every developer is making games for casual gamers. It shouldn't have to be that way. Russia and a few other countries seem to be making some pretty innovative games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom