Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 5 - set in the exotic open world of MONTANA

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
That doesn't really entirely confirm or deny anything. Only thing that I saw there is that PS3 and X360 had faster clockspeeds. And again, if they aren't using all of the GPU they could just offload some CPU work onto GPU, although it might take some engine customization.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You have to keep in mind whether the consoles were bottlenecked at the CPU or not. If the Xbox wasn't CPU bottlenecked then all those extra physics are fine, and make sense when the principle issue is number of shaders. Meanwhile the current consoles are extremely CPU bottlenecked much of the time, corners are heavily cut to minimise CPU overhead on there.

Gerrard

Arcane
Ubisoft games have fucking terrible CPU use so I'm not surprised they are "hitting the ceiling". Hire more monkeys.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Hire more monkeys.
Nine women can't give birth to one child in one month. Ubisoft should hire actual programmers, preferably those familiar with multithreading. But the snag is, AAA game development turned into a sump for losers who can't be proven useful in other industries.

The stuff drunk slavs at GSC were doing in 2002-2007 with STALKER on old PC hardware is not even comparable.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Ubisoft games have fucking terrible CPU use
This is true too. Rainbow Six Siege still has a bug where your CPU can hit 100% usage all the time which makes it stutter constantly and gives you a good ~70ms input delay. Only way I found to "fix" it for me was to cap it at under 30 FPS.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Hire more monkeys.
Nine women can't give birth to one child in one month. Ubisoft should hire actual programmers, preferably those familiar with multithreading. But the snag is, AAA game development turned into a sump for losers who can't be proven useful in other industries.

The stuff drunk slavs at GSC were doing in 2002-2007 with STALKER on old PC hardware is not even comparable.

x-ray is shit engine, with many things running in lua, instead of c++[presumably to ease the modders, but thats my assumption]. Its horribly optimized, without multithreading.

Mortmal

Arcane
It's a good amount of copies being sold given that it is a copypaste of prior far cry
I don't see journo's bullshit articles about how much the game shipped and what place it took in the uk chart. I won't be surprised if the game is a flop in ubi's eyes.

310 million turnover, Ubisoft stock +8% . I would say its doing pretty good

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...-black-panthers-week-one-domestic-box-office/
Some highlights from Ubisoft's announcement:

• Over 50% of the game's sales were digital.
  • Far Cry 5 pulled in $310 million in its first week.
  • For some context, Black Panther's domestic box office was $292 million in its first week, making it the highest-grossing first week in MCU history.
  • YouTubers and Twitch streamers streamed 55,000 hours of Far Cry 5 during its first week, garnering 117 million views.

Far cry is a successful formula. Console players do not want innovation, they want always the same stuff with better graphics.

Just take a look at Fifa, all they do is just improve a little the graphic, change the teams and you are done getting a shittons of money for a pitiful amount of work. It's a great moment for videogame developers that have a successful formula, because no matter you won't have to innovate. You just found the formula and it's pure gold.

Ash do you play stalker? HAve you got mod suggestions? To be honest I was waiting for OLR 3.0 but it seems like it never comes out

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
It's not console players, it's just casuals and "normal people." Few who actually play video games at least 5 hours a week play sports games, it's mostly a thing for people who just use consoles as TV boxes. Besides that, it's not like PC doesn't suffer from the same shit and there is nothing wrong with liking a formula of a game.

Ash

Arcane
Ash do you play stalker? HAve you got mod suggestions? To be honest I was waiting for OLR 3.0 but it seems like it never comes out

I'm not the most knowledgable on STALKER mods. I played CoP with the Arsenal Overhaul mod and thought it was good, and that's as far as my knowledge goes on the matter.

I'm not the biggest Stalker fan because even the better games in the series fall short in some key areas, e.g the final third of CoP was such a disappointment.

Such is life in the zone.

Ash

Arcane
What was the last big innovation in game dev that was in the spirit of old school monoclism/actual gaming and actually good? Innovation these days means turning your game into a walking sim. Or turning it into a movie with cinematic design. Introducing innovative business practices like microtransactions. Taking old concepts, dumbing them down for people that don't really play games, and doing so with expert execution. Games with predominantly art, graphics and realism-oriented design methodology. Autist-manipulating digital achievements and trophies.

Clearly, the industry hasn't got much of value anymore.

Forget major innovation. Monocled iteration upon old concepts is where it's at (minor innovation). That's why I mostly find myself playing old games with mods these days.

What was the last big innovation in game dev that was in the spirit of old school monoclism/actual gaming and actually good? Innovation these days means turning your game into a walking sim. Or turning it into a movie with cinematic design. Introducing innovative business practices like microtransactions. Taking old concepts, dumbing them down for people that don't really play games, and doing so with expert execution. Games with predominantly art, graphics and realism-oriented design methodology. Autist-manipulating digital achievements and trophies.

Clearly, the industry hasn't got much of value anymore.

Forget major innovation. Monocled iteration upon old concepts is where it's at (minor innovation). That's why I mostly find myself playing old games with mods these days.

everything innovated and turned out for worse

now I just want innovation to turn things back to what they were.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...-black-panthers-week-one-domestic-box-office/

• For some context, Black Panther's domestic box office was $292 million in its first week, making it the highest-grossing first week in MCU history.
  • YouTubers and Twitch streamers streamed 55,000 hours of Far Cry 5 during its first week, garnering 117 million views.
For the game to pull 300 millions it have to sell around 5 million copies. Honestly i don't see it selling that much. That guy just splashes the numbers as a fact and don't give any source. Also isn't he know for being one of the most trashy journos out there?! Endless clickbait and false information. I will take this information with a lot of salt.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

For the game to pull 300 millions it have to sell around 5 million copies. Honestly i don't see it selling that much. That guy just splashes the numbers as a fact and don't give any source. Also isn't he know for being one of the most trashy journos out there?! Endless clickbait and false information. I will take this information with a lot of salt.
He, as well as other news sources are just copying this news release from Ubisoft: https://news.ubisoft.com/article/far-cry-5-breaks-franchise-sales-records

Erik Kain is one of the more tolerable journalists with regards to how subjective he is, and one of the most credible with regards to how bought he is. He works at Forbes, not at some bullshit "gaming media" outlet, meaning he is not dependant on any company's marketing budget, or doesn't have to try to stay in any company's good graces. His tastes may not match mine, but I know he is sincere about what he writes when he likes a game. He also has a whole series of articles on journalist ethics in the strange world of "videogames journalism", which are a very good read, in terms of how they expose the inherent conflict of interest that nearly all "game journalists" reside in.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Crowbcat is the poster child for diet cynicism: he makes videos for kids who want to look edgy and cool but can't think for themselves so they need vapid ecelebs to dictate their opinions for them.

He's not wrong. Crowbcat that is. You on the other hand are wrong. Making videos in which you show how an older game in the same series did more things, or did things better isn't somehow a act of cynicism, it's not edgy either...unless I've totally misunderstood what "edgy" means.
it's edgy, in his description he will admit that both games have their pros but won't admit that Far Cry 2 is actually a shit game, so he uses Far Cry 2 to make YouTube bucks

And? The point isn't that it's a shit game, the point is to show the cool shit Far Cry 2 did back in 2008 that for whatever reason isn't there in a new Far Cry in 2018...despite running on the exact same engine. (Not following these games I didn't know they were still running on the same engine) Who gives a shit if they're making money doing those videos, good for whoever runs that channel making some money pointing that shit out.

The superfluous animations, the guns exploding after 10 shots. The fire rendering the combat area unusuable for 10 minutes and dogshit map all came together to make FC2 one of the biggest pieces of shit released last generation.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
We all knows that FC5 is miles ahead of FC2 when it comes to fun, but his video showed some details that were lost. I personally didn't receive it as a video in defense of FC2 being a good game. There are many nostalgic retards who have impaired judgement, and will value even a dogshit just because its old.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
These are my memories of FC2:
Taking the bus so I wouldn't run into 100 patrols
Clearing an outpost and having enemies respawn out of your asshole
A really horrible ending sequence (Hey, they kept that for FC5!)
Going in the water made your gun look and shoot like you recovered it from a 100-year-old sunken pirate ship.

McPlusle

Savant
The superfluous animations, the guns exploding after 10 shots. The fire rendering the combat area unusuable for 10 minutes and dogshit map all came together to make FC2 one of the biggest pieces of shit released last generation.
I don't know if I'd call it shit, but it certainly doesn't warrant the love it's gotten in the past few years. The atmosphere and attention to detail are great, but the guns are really generic (and not nearly as customizable) and the mission design is way too basic for the game's length.

There are many nostalgic retards who have impaired judgement, and will value even a dogshit just because its old.
The fact that we're using the term "nostalgic" for Xbox 360-era games makes me feel ancient.

Mark Richard

Arcane
We all knows that FC5 is miles ahead of FC2 when it comes to fun, but his video showed some details that were lost. I personally didn't receive it as a video in defense of FC2 being a good game. There are many nostalgic retards who have impaired judgement, and will value even a dogshit just because its old.
Crowbat has several of these side by side comparison videos, so I look at them more as an indictment of modern game design. For whatever reason the details have become less and less important to developers. Compare the moment to moment gameplay of the latest iteration of a franchise with its predecessor, and the older game could be mistaken for the new one if it weren't for the visuals. Stuff like advanced AI & physics are to games what animatronics are to movies - a lost art.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Crowbat has several of these side by side comparison videos, so I look at them more as an indictment of modern game design. For whatever reason the details have become less and less important to developers. Compare the moment to moment gameplay of the latest iteration of a franchise with its predecessor, and the older game could be mistaken for the new one if it weren't for the visuals. Stuff like advanced AI & physics are to games what animatronics are to movies - a lost art.

Animatronics is cool and dandy, but sometimes it is actually more cumbersome and costly than the CGI, hence why its getting replaced. What's really lacking in cinema is the fact that there are less and less real scenes, real stuntmen engaged, real props and destructibles, and CGI unless very well made, can feel fake. Making animations that dont feel fake is the pinacle of the CG artist work.It takes years to master this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom