Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Fargo and Co to party like it's 1988 + New 30$ tier

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Do you guys see that you're bitching about couple of pictures? Seriously?
:what:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
someone buys the game 15 years from now there's always going to be the "super-duper edition" with all that exclusive content hanging around.

Haha. Yeah? *All that* content, you say? I wonder how they'll deal with the emotional torment of playing without a quirky skill and some portraits.

Haha. It's not like modders will add this stuff back in within a month of release or anything :P

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Jebus, don't you bastards know that this game is only going to exist because of peasants funding it?

The game has been funded for quite some time now. Now it's just begging for every extra penny they can get.

Well then fuck off and start up your own company to try and make a TB Party RPG from scratch.

Yes, because it certainly hasn't been done before.

Also, am I understanding correctly that this is yet another game that we can't complain about (even if it does things we usually complain about) because it's made by some guy(s) we are supposed to like and who supposedly are inclining whatever?

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've gotta admit, it's pretty fun watching people go apoplectic over little more than fluff.
: x

Dexter

Arcane
someone buys the game 15 years from now there's always going to be the "super-duper edition" with all that exclusive content hanging around.

Haha. Yeah? *All that* content, you say? I wonder how they'll deal with the emotional torment of playing without a quirky skill and some portraits.

Haha. It's not like modders will add this stuff back in within a month of release or anything :p

If you wanna do what all the big cool publishers do and encourage piracy of the end product incidentally go right ahead.
There's nothing people will like to know more when pondering if they should put up money for something or not than that they can't officially have the full product or it's full of DLC crap that other versions might have.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Now it's just begging for every extra penny they can get

OH MAN THOSE MOTHER FUCKERS FUCKERS BASTARDS WHO WANT AS MUCH MONEY AS THEY CAN GET IN ORDER TO MAKE THE BEST GAME THEY CAN THEY ARE JUST MOTHER FUCKERS FUCKERS WHO WANT TO GET MONEY THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS FUCKERS!

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Typical pre-order bullshit = improves Gamestop's launch day profit, developers cut content to sell back later

Kickstarter 'pre-order' rewards = money going directly to developer to make the game better, developers add bonus thank you content, causes pavlovian herp derp :x:rage:from idiots

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Seriously.

Some of you guys are just absolutely the worst herping idiots on the planet. Just as bad as your enemies.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
If you wanna do what all the big cool publishers do and encourage piracy of the end product incidentally go right ahead.
There's nothing people will like to know more when pondering if they should put up money for something or not than that they can't officially have the full product or it's full of DLC crap that other versions might have.

Yip. People are going to hear they won't get some ranger portraits and be all "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS!!! I'M NOT BUYING THIS!!!" That's totally how reasonable consumers operate. Rather than just downloading some portrait pack mod or something.

Y'know, your hysterical tone really isn't helping in making your case. Perhaps if you stopped trying to compare it to big publisher DLC, because it has almost nothing to do with those (it's not promotional paid by a 3rd party, no profits go to anyone except the developer, none of this will be offered nickel-and-dime as day-1 DLC, etc).

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yes, because it certainly hasn't been done before.

Also, am I understanding correctly that this is yet another game that we can't complain about (even if it does things we usually complain about) because it's made by some guy(s) we are supposed to like and who supposedly are inclining whatever?

Hey bro knock yourself out with the complaining, I don't give a toss. Just thought it was funny seeing the reason you're complaining. It's not like Fargo is is putting in romanceable Rangers or something...

Oh and starting a company and making a TB game with the scale and scope of Wasteland was last done what, a decade ago almost? Don't even try and compare KotC or Frayed Knights...that's a whole other (lower)level. If that's all that we should be aspiring to then what the fuck is all the whining about eh? I mean there are pixel art TB games made with RPG maker released all the time! Where's the decline? AMIRITE??? We should be happy!

Grim Monk

Arcane
Access to a collection of exclusive Ranger portraits that will double the pool of character portraits you have to choose from at the start of the game when you are
rolling up your Rangers. This unique image collection will not only give you more Ranger portraits, but more Ranger icons used to display your party location on the world map.

As far as I can tell, this is only a bunch of sprites/models, and character portraits.

In other words, This:
07mm6.jpg

And This:
falloutslugcomparacionwt2.jpg

I don't particularly like this move, but its not really that big of a deal.

Now on the other hand, the Shadowrun Kickstarter has a bunch of ("Pre-order DLC") morally objectionable stuff.
Examples:
("Special Mission: only available to backers")
("SPECIAL ABILITY: only available to backers")
("IN-GAME DocWagon Benefit: only available to backers")

This stuff changes the actual gameplay, and should be criticized...

ONLY (unlike InExile) :x THEY STILL HAVE NO FORUM FOR PEOPLE TO POST CRITICISM AND SUGGESTIONS!!!

Dexter

Arcane
Yip. People are going to hear they won't get some ranger portraits and be all "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS!!! I'M NOT BUYING THIS!!!" That's totally how reasonable consumers operate. Rather than just downloading some portrait pack mod or something.

Y'know, your hysterical tone really isn't helping in making your case. Perhaps if you stopped trying to compare it to big publisher DLC, because it has almost nothing to do with those (it's not promotional paid by a 3rd party, no profits go to anyone except the developer, none of this will be offered nickel-and-dime as day-1 DLC, etc).

It's exactly what big publishers are doing, there's not much difference in GameStop offering some special deal like an extra weapon/armor to incentivize people to Pre-Order and leave their money there or EA trying to convince people to spend more monies on their "Complete Edition" with Robotic dog/Squad Outfits and Weapon Pack or whatnot and Fargo trying to incentivize people to Pledge (more) on his Kickstarter for "awesome skill" and extra portraits aside of where the money goes to. It's all Exclusive game content that other people won't get.

Add novels, soundtrack, concept arts or whatever just leave the game content alone and don't cut off extra pieces or slices for promotional/marketing reasons.
Some of you people just seem to "emoshunially involved" to notice and get all defensive like certain people on a certain Social Network...

Well I still think Fargo is the bringer of incline and he deserves all our money. :smug: Wasteland 2 is the game I want to play and has the least amount of bullshit unlike other kickstarter projects (which may, or may not turn out good). Fargo has been honest from the beginning and he stayed true to us on the Codex, like a true bro.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'm totally fine with these types of incentives as long as it doesn't impact game balance. I do think they could have skipped the portraits though but with a 115 dolaarés pledge I'll get everything noteworthy anyway :smug:

It kind of sucks the T-shirts look like crap though. Otherwise I would increase my pledge.

Morkar Left

I'm paying considerably more than 15$ since I actually want all of that physical crap in this case. The difference is that's not stuff that is in the game/game content. If Wasteland 2
gets to be as iconic as Fallout and someone buys the game 15 years from now there's always going to be the "super-duper edition" with all that exclusive content hanging around.
It doesn't make me want to pay more for it, but less since I think it's a cunty move...

It's also even the thought process behind it, you got a project that a lot of people are obviously rather enthusiastic for, overshoot the target by almost 3 times and can literally do anything to incentivize people to pledge more or just sit back and watch.
But what happens instead? Oh, let's do that stuff that EA, UbiSoft, Activision, Microsoft and GameStop are doing with all their Exclusive/Special/Pre-Order Bonus Blittipy Bloop Special Edition I heard that's popular with the kids today, THAT'LL get them to spend more money and feel all special, what the fuck? If this happens in frigging fan-funded projects supposed to be made for love and other devs pick it up since Double Fine Adventure and Wasteland 2 are setting examples for them it'll just spread this DLC disease.

for 15$ more you get:

Extra Digital Downloadable copy of game DRM free for PC or MAC OSX or Linux + Exclusive Ranger portrait collection + Access to Four episode Video Dev Blog. Also receive a Novella on the Wasteland 2 world created by Chris Avellone.

And the people who already donated get it for free anyway (and all higher tiers either).

Basically it means you buy another copy for 15$ and get a Video docu and a novella. And on top of that you get a bunch of ingame portraits for your rangers which everybody can download later anyway when you haven't got it or you just use some fanmade picturecollection that will be available, too after some time. Or you just make your own picturecollection.

There's absolutely nothing that influences the gameplay. I'm all for being adherent to principles and such but this arguing is just over the top.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
There's absolutely nothing that influences the gameplay. I'm all for being adherent to principles and such but this arguing is just over the top.

Fine, but why aren't the high tier rewards (personalized crap) exclusive also, then?

Dexter

Arcane
for 15$ more you get:

It's not about the money as much as those "principles" behind it you are talking about, I'm already getting the Collector's Edition so it wouldn't concern me otherwise.

Also got a guy I know to don the big 10k a while ago cause he was a big Fallout fan: http://h9.abload.de/img/wasteland2kickstarterrab68.png

But a few days ago he was saying:

Brian Fargo sure is milking this for all its worth.

Rewards keep changing, the number of available rewards keep changing. From 100 $1000 rewards to 200 and now theres a new $2000 reward.

Feels kind of lame.

I was about to try and drum up a few more people to try and pledge in the last few hours but I don't think I can be bothered anymore, because indeed I finally agree, it does feel kind of lame.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'm sorry his effort to raise funds that he won't see a single cent of have hurt your feelings.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Brian Fargo sure is milking this for all its worth.

Rewards keep changing, the number of available rewards keep changing. From 100 $1000 rewards to 200 and now theres a new $2000 reward.

Feels kind of lame.

I was about to try and drum up a few more people to try and pledge in the last few hours but I don't think I can be bothered anymore, because indeed I finally agree, it does feel kind of lame.

Your friend is absolutely correct.
It does feel sort of lame. People instinctively feel a degree of contempt towards people who are begging them for money.
However, it isn't actually lame. These are standard fundraising methods and if they aren't working on you, rest assured that they will work on somebody else. And the project will be better for it.

Temaperacl

Erudite
And the people who already donated get it for free anyway (and all higher tiers either).
Do you have a source for this? The whole "get people to upgrade" implies that people at $15 will not get it for free and I haven't seen any statement to the contrary.

I'm all for being adherent to principles and such but this arguing is just over the top.
Outside of the fact that the decision has been made already, why is this arguing over the top? If the fundamental principle of offering exclusive content for certain investment amounts or investment paths is one of the problems we have with modern publishing, why should we just ignore or accept it when it happens with a different development model? And if it is a negative behaviour, why shouldn't we argue against it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom