Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fates of Ort - retro isometric spellslinging RPG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.fatesofort.com

https://af.gog.com/en/game/fates_of_ort?as=1649904300

Fates of Ort is a retro inspired fantasy RPG with a focus on strategic action and a story driven by your decisions. It is a tale of sacrifice and difficult choices, in a world under threat of annihilation by the avaricious force of Consumption magic.

heading_fight.png

Magic is powerful, but it is not free. Every spell you cast requires a little bit of your life energy to spark it. Cast enough spells and you will extinguish your very soul. This means you need to be strategic when fighting, balancing the cost of magic with the risk of taking damage from your enemies.

combat.gif

How each spell manifests in the world depends on what divine power you choose to combine it with. For example, the Evoke Force spell will cause the ground to erupt with a series of sharp ice crystals, summon a thunderous lightning strike, or barrage the ground with a meteor shower – all depending on what the spell is combined with.

heading_timestop.png

Use the magic spells at your disposal to defeat the demons spilling out from the underworld. In Ort, time is frozen whenever you stand still. This means you have the opportunity to plan your attacks and be strategic.

timestop.gif

heading_loot.png

Like any RPG, you will be slaying enemies to collect loot and experience. The items you pick up will improve your magical abilities, though some come with curses... As you level up, you will learn additional magic spells to use against your enemies.

loot.gif

heading_explore.png

Ort is varied and expansive, an open world for you to explore. Choose the order of the quests you pursue, or just explore to meet new characters. The final battle is available whenever you choose, but... Are you strong enough?

explore.gif

heading_quests.png

Play as a novice mage, forced to take on the responsibility of saving the world and those that are important to you. Quests can be completed to gain access to new areas, save and unlock allies, gain items and powers, and more. Replays are encouraged because small decisions can have permanent and significant consequences, leading to different game outcomes.

interact.gif

heading_features.png

• Learn and use 12 magic spells, and combine them with the three elements for different effects
  • Time stops when you stand still - take advantage of this to plan your attacks
  • Use your life energy to weave spells - be strategic in your fighting
  • Explore various biomes around the world of Ort and meet a diverse set of characters
  • Atmospheric soundtrack composed by Chris Gray
  • Pursue truly optional quest lines, and make difficult choices between which characters to save
  • Save the world, or rule it as a force of evil
Games that inspired Fates of Ort
Diablo 2, Morrowind, Chrono Trigger, Fallout, Eschalon Book

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
Yeah, well, no wonder I haven't seen this post :cool:
The title is misleading - it's as much an action-RPG as, I don't know, Eschalon - in the sense that it autopauses after every action. The most apt comparison would be Faery Tale Adventure 2, but nobody played that.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Looks ok, quasi-roguelike turn mechanics. Lots of upcoming games seem to be doing something similar, like copper dreams and odd gods. A good thing imo.

The magic system appeals to my sensibilities. Nice to see someone finally enabling powerful magic against a personal risk mechanic. I have something similar in my homebrew RPG. The aesthetics are painful though. The game looks like Dink Smallwood.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Those wheel interfaces in the top corners are really interesting (if a bit ... unfinished looking?). Looks mechanically unique to me despite heavily going for the retro revival aesthetic. Does anyone recoginise it as similar to any oldies other than the listed influences?

The only thing that really comes to mind for me is 'isometric Noita' – which really, couldn't be a bad thing, but it's obviously also so much more.

V_K

Arcane
How many did you expect? It was literally released 4 hours ago.

Played it for a bit, and it's an ok game, but not much of an RPG. Character advancement is mostly equipment-based; the only thing leveling does is allows to pick a new spell. Even maximum HP stays the same.
On the plus side, exploration seems to be very open and the visuals have that Westwood-esque charm to them.

V_K

Arcane
Played more, it's very easy, even by my standards (and I suck at RPG combat): mind control is cheap (much cheaper than direct damage) and so far works on everything including bosses. There's an enemy that removes all status effects in a given area, but it's stationary, so it's easy to just lead the others away from it. No puzzles or navigational challenges so far too - there are supposedly movement spells, but they are higher level than I am.

V_K

Arcane
I know that nobody else cares, but here's my Steam review after ~7 hours:

The best way I can describe the game is "Dark Souls meets Lands of Lore". From the latter it gets the colourful visuals and charming and somewhat whimsical fantasy setting. From the former, the basic structure of non-linear exploration through interconnected levels punctuated by "save spots". Similarly, if you die, you get resurrected at the nearest spot but all the enemies get respawned. The main difference is obviously the time stop mechanic and the fact that it's less hardcore than either of the two. Like, way way less, quite easy even. It's actually one of my main gripes with the game: most of the levels can be just breezed through with liberal application of mind control - it's cheap and works on everything. If things get a bit harder, just throw some turrets into the mix to do the job for you. The game does some reasonably imaginative things with both the PC's spells and the enemy abilities, but why bother when mind control works every time? With no puzzles or other non-combat challenges to speak of (and this is my other major gripe), the game just gets repetitive after a while. I'm marking my review "recommended" because it's not a bad game per se, and I do appreciate its originality and charm, but it would need to nerf mind control and add some more variety to its maps (some Grimrock-style puzzles maybe) to move it into "really good" territory.
Things that didn't make it into the review:
- There is in fact some character development (well, more customization than development), you just have to unlock at around midway point.
- There are quite a few C&Cs - quests can be finished in several ways, and this may lock or open solutions to other quests. The dev claims there are two major endings, and a number of ending slides that change depending on quest outcomes. Quests themselves aren't terribly interesting though, just differently framed fetch quests. Think of, well, The Quest.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
(and I suck at RPG combat)

It all makes sense now. It's why you prefer RPGs that might as well have been adventure games for all the "tactics" they offer.
Actually, it's why I prefer RPGs where combat can be avoided altogether :cool:
Have you played jagged alliance 2,it is the game for you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom