Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Favorite cRPG cover art/boxart/promo art

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
There are some really great boxes in here and some of my favourites have already been listed. Here are a few others though:

Pool_of_Radiance_-_1990_-_U.S._Gold_Ltd..jpg

4481-phantasie-commodore-64-front-cover.jpg

2809506-4556388763-Quest.jpg

MV5BNGRiMTJkZGYtMDc0Yi00NDQ4LWI2NWItY2QzNjdiZWZiMzI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjExODE1MDc@._V1_.jpg

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
SSI had an immense advantage in being able to re-purpose existing TSR D&D/AD&D artwork as box covers for their games:

eq1-33.jpg

Clyde Caldwell's cover illustration for Knight of Illusion" Endless Quest (CYOA) Book #33 became the cover for SSI's Pool of Radiance, the associated adventure module FRC1 Ruins of Adventure, and the tie-in novel.

finders1.jpg

Clyde Caldwell's cover illustration for the AD&D novel Curse of the Azure Bonds published in 1988 became the cover for SSI's game of the same name as well as the associated adventure module FRC2.

17554.jpg

Larry Elmore's cover for the Paul Jaquays setting book FR5 The Savage Frontier became the cover for SSI's Secret of the Silver Blades

qbhzby.jpg

Keith Parkinson's cover illustration for the adventure module compilation GDQ1-7 Queen of the Spiders became the cover for SSI's Pools of Darkness

16901.jpg

Keith Parkinson's cover for DL4 Dragons of Desolation, one of the twelve adventure modules in the original Dragonlance series, became the cover for SSI's Champions of Krynn

w343vx.jpg

Keith Parkinson's painting "Lord Soth's Charge" for the 1987 Dragonlance calendar became the cover for SSI's Death Knights of Krynn

7ldpvz.jpg

Clyde Caldwell's painting "The Dark Queen" for the 1988 Dragonlance calendar became the cover for SSI's Dark Queen of Krynn

bb7gpq.jpg

Clyde Caldwell's cover for AC4 The Book of Marvelous Magic became the cover for SSI's Gateway to the Savage Frontier

d9c96u.jpg

Rather bizarrely, Clyde Caldwell's cover for the non-D&D/AD&D fantasy book The Jewels of Elvish, published by TSR in 1989, became the cover for SSI's Treasures of the Savage Frontier

17098.jpg

Clyde Caldwell's cover for adventure module I11 Needle became the cover for SSI's Neverwinter Nights on-line multi-player RPG

16807.jpg

Clyde Caldwell's cover for the setting book FR6 Dream of the Red Wizards became the cover for SSI's Unlimited Adventures Fantasy Construction Kit, though the woman shown in the crystal ball was replaced with an ominous-looking castle

Dragon_magazine_138.jpg

Jeff Easley's cover illustration for Dragon Magazine #138 became the cover for SSI's first Eye of the Beholder

16806.jpg

Jeff Easley's cover for setting book FR4 The Magister became the cover for SSI's Eye of the Beholder II: The Legend of Darkmoon

yv5sfg.jpg

Keith Parkinson's cover for Lankhmar/Nehwon adventure module CA2 Swords of Deceit became the cover for SSI's Eye of the Beholder III: Assault on Myth Drannor

prism2.jpg

Gerald Brom's cover for Dark Sun novel The Crimson Legion (2nd book of the Prism Pentad) became the cover for SSI's Dark Sun: Shattered Lands

17179.jpg

Gerald Brom's painting for the cover of Dark Sun setting book DSR1 Slave Tribes became the cover for SSI's Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager

SSI also re-used existing TSR artwork for about 15 other games, most of them non-RPGs.

Last edited:

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I was always partial to SSI game boxes. However, it was a Darklands poster that I had on my wall for more years than I care to count during my childhood.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Here are four that I really love, even if they aren't the best games the cover art is glorious.

And of course pretty much every cover art for any Atari ST or Amiga game from Psygnosis.

Edit - Sorry, the last two aren't CRPGs, I'm an idiot

Last edited:

Humbaba

Arcane

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's full of amazing little details, I just noticed the imp in that globe cage thing.
Yea, I love that little imp! He almost looks like a green homunculus.

And as shallow as this may be, it is actually the main reason for why Gateway to the Savage Frontier is my favorite of the Forgotten Realms gold box games. Pool of Radiance is I believe, by most substantial measures, the genuine highlight of the series (at least from those that I've played, I'm still working on playing all of them) but Gateway has a special significance for me because of the art style and that cover art. The image is also endearing to me because of my abiding interest in medieval occult philosophy, ritual magic and alchemy.

Generic-Giant-Spider

You know what I hate about topics like this? You always get those jokers who list like every gaddam box art known to mankind and it ruins everyone else's chance to get some grogclout. And you gotta brofit/prestigious them because they listed TRUE shit but you know they stole like 40 other peoples thunder in doing so.

Like I wanted to mention WAY more but doing so now would just be redundant and make me look like a tracer. Man, these the sorta niggas that when asked "what's your favorite ___?" they can't resist listing five things at minimum. They also pull that shit like, "oh these three choices could all be #1 depending on the day/moon cycle."

If I ever make a topic like this and some pumpkinheads try to kill it by taking all the good choices in one or two posts then I'm comin' to yo house, gettin' in the pantry, eatin' the snacks. Try me, neegee.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You know what I hate about topics like this? You always get those jokers who list like every gaddam box art known to mankind and it ruins everyone else's chance to get some grogclout. And you gotta brofit/prestigious them because they listed TRUE shit but you know they stole like 40 other peoples thunder in doing so.

Like I wanted to mention WAY more but doing so now would just be redundant and make me look like a tracer. Man, these the sorta niggas that when asked "what's your favorite ___?" they can't resist listing five things at minimum. They also pull that shit like, "oh these three choices could all be #1 depending on the day/moon cycle."

If I ever make a topic like this and some pumpkinheads try to kill it by taking all the good choices in one or two posts then I'm comin' to yo house, gettin' in the pantry, eatin' the snacks. Try me, neegee.
You got no excuse. You've got like 8 limbs and you still fell short.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

You got no excuse. You've got like 8 limbs and you still fell short.

To be fair, he's using 6 of them to masturbate at any given time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom