Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Favorite cRPG cover art/boxart/promo art

lecrop

Educated
OmHaAYq.jpg

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'll throw this one out. I thought the enemy dragon looked pretty dumb, but it was worth it for the Easter egg on the cover.
The cover features self portraits of the designers Bill and Rebecca Heineman

View attachment 21431
I love the look of that dragon!! It reminds me a bit of Clyde Caldwell's dragons, and I've pointed out more than once to my children when looking at the cover art of Dragon Wars and Pool of Radiance how much the dragons faces look like our dogs face, she is a brindle Boston Terrier.

Strig

Learned
I see here a Frazetta + Corben influence

As in Richard Corben? Can't say that I agree. Corben's work was more often than not high-contrast, borderline photorealistic, tight and controlled, he also had the inclination to make everything look glossy. I think this is clearly more loose and impressionistic. If I were to give another example, then maybe I'd say paintings by Jeff Jones.

Murk

Arcane
Pretty much any of the artwork from BB is great. This was one of the images used to promo the Beasts and Exploration DLC, turned loading screen.

ss_3ca5d60ee85578441d76b6977ac584ce2101c21c.1920x1080.jpg

Also IWD concept/promo art.

Intro_slide_chapter_1.jpg

The box for IWD would be great too if not for the silly branding:

Icewind_dale_1_box_shot.jpg

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've always loved that art for the Shadowrun 2nd edition (TTRPG) cover. It was used for the Genesis game.

Other than that, it's been nice to be reminded of some of these really great boxes, but also to see some things I've never seen or heard of before. There's not many times that happens for me. :)

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Speaking of Shadowrun and promotional art let me remind you that this diamond in the rough exists. This is some kind of art, right?

I actually... like it? It seems so pure and honest, there's no hint of irony whatsoever. Gives me some serious Under the Killing Moon FMV vibes. Reminds me of this video for some reason (not quite from the 80s, but it's 80s in spirit):

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Four pages and nobody has posted the best cover of all time? You sicken me.
w3rl0DE.jpg

And some obscure shit:
Cool cover, funny video tape, horrible game.
IKZ6s8W.jpg

SSI's ill-fated Ultima 6 clone for newbs.
JZk0TSJ.jpg

Before Scam Citizen, there was...
0BBxXlj.jpg
And now for the very best cover art ever in the history of mankind:
P39hB27.jpg

Kaivokz

Arcane
Rincewind you’re right :D I guess I just lumped all those old fantasy games I played into one category in my head.

KateMicucci

Arcane
Four pages and nobody has posted the best cover of all time? You sicken me.
w3rl0DE.jpg
I came here to post this.

It's not exactly Boris/Brom level, and the perspective/proportions in this are way off, but this is still the one cover that has always given me a feeling of adventure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom