Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Favorite cRPG cover art/boxart/promo art

d1nolore

Savant
If only some of these games were as good as their cover art

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Betrayal at Krondor

1466401690-1935468085.jpg

This Krondor cover painting is really really good artistically. Probably my favourite from the whole thread.

Strig

Learned
This Krondor cover painting is really really good artistically. Probably my favourite from the whole thread.
Definitely one of the highlights in the thread. It's not only a great painting but also an outstanding design. There's a reason that makes the composition so pleasant to gawk at, the obvious technique mastery and talent notwithstanding. And yes, I know that the Fibonacci spiral and the golden ratio are "maymays" by this point, but there's still a good basis for it.

DfBrn5v.png

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
And yes, I know that the Fibonacci spiral and the golden ratio are "maymays" by this point, but there's still a good basis for it.

Can't speak for other artists, but I'm finding that when I produce a photograph that's pleasing to look at, I can recognise all the usual suspects after the fact (golden ratio, leading lines, foreground and background layers, etc). So I suspect it has always been instinctual for most artists before people started to analyse it.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Some Amiga-original RPGs:

72037-captive-amiga-front-cover.jpg
113072-liberation-captive-ii-amiga-front-cover.jpg
Awesome! The Amiga had several very good RPGs and even the dullest of games tended to have remarkable box art. I've not gotten around to trying the Captive games yet but have them in my personal collection and am looking forward to them.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
This is probably not true, but it feels true: there were more RPGs around back then, even though most of them were not very good.

demoman

Educated
86844-bloodwych-atari-st-front-cover.jpg

Another Lovely Game from 1989 with art by Chris Achilleos.

and as a bonus lemme once more plug it's soundtrack that I freaking love (starts at around 00:25)

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

I know it was already shared, and I mentioned how I've told my daughter that the dragon looks like our Boston Terrier, but I wanted to share a photo of my boxed copy of Dragon Wars for the Amiga.

I just adopted two kittens over the weekend, so during the past two days my dog has been perpetually stuck in the dragons position, locked in a stand off with the male cat.

curds

Magister
Might & Magic Japanese covers:

pa.100427.1.webp

mightandmagicdotdbig.jpg

Daggerfall. IRL this cover is holographic so it looks even cooler.

Gothic 2:

421694-gothic-ii-windows-front-cover.jpg

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Jaz just Tweeted this fantastic '82 cover from C&VG.........
Frankly, you could make another topic on the subject with magazine covers. The ones that had special covers drawn for them are almost always did something coo. Amiga Joker is one of my favorites, even though my German is terrible. They also tended to have a good head on them when it came to reviewing games.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There is something beautiful and enchanting about this 70's-90's style of art, whether it's used for video game covers, novel covers, or anything else. 10x better than the bullshit that's being pumped out now. I'd love to see more artists getting commissioned for novels or games to add some much needed flavor, as well as just giving people like this income so that they can provide for themselves and keep giving us such amazing things to look at.

Jason Liang

Arcane
My favorite video game cover - it's in its own tier~
1626807754003.jpg

It was so good that 22 years later AliceSoft homaged it for the final game of the series:
cover10.jpg

Last edited:

Kruyurk

Learned
Today GOG spammed me yet another mail to sell me something, but this time the cover art caught my eye. The game is Witchaven, a FPS from 1995 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witchaven.

SakCBx9.jpg

At first I thought the artist could be Frazetta, thinking the character was Death Dealer. But achtually the painter is named Ken Kelly. Wait a minute, I know this name. So I check on Wikipedia and, yes the Ken Kelly that did the cover art for the amazing Rising album from Rainbow! I highly recommend to listen to it, and the first Rainbow album aswell. Both top tier albums. Rising has the amazing Stargazer, a song that I listened countless times yet it still gives me the chill everytime. The Temple Of The King on the first album is also one of my favorite songs. Truely evocative songs, powerful, flawless. Master musicians and Ronnie James Dio at his best.
Ken Kelly also did two covers for Kiss, Destroyer and Love Gun. And a lot of Manowar covers that are rather nice (but I don't like Manowar, expect a few songs).

Y0I3p4x.jpg

And his Wikipedia page says he died just a month ago... on June 3rd :negative:
Rainbow's music is so dear to me, it made me sad to learn of his passing.
RIP Ken Kelly

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom