Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favourite race in TES games?

Favourite rase in Elder scrools games?

• Imperials

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Breton

Votes: 38 15.5%
  • Nord

Votes: 23 9.4%
  • Nigger

Votes: 23 9.4%
  • Altmer

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • Bosmer

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • Dunmer

Votes: 71 29.0%
  • Ork

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Lizards

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Cats

Votes: 21 8.6%

• Total voters

Kalon

Scholar
The hwite race

Which one? Imperials, Nords, or Bretons ?
  • Nords are actual pure-blood Atmorans :obviously:
  • Bretons are literal half-breed mutts (mix of Atmoran & Aldmeri) :hahano:
  • Imperials are cosmopolitan & mixed. Some of them look Italian. :mad:

I think I need to get some Lore 101 because I seem to remember reading about Bretons being a mix of Aldmers and Nedes but I don't remember what the Nedic race is.

cosmopolitan & mixed
Oh my.
Some of them look Italian

Oh the horror. And some Bretons have french sounding names. And did you also notice that some Redguards looked rather conspicuously black ?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
esYG4qQ.png

LTYjwEm.png

In the video above.

How this game is not canceled today? JKR which agrees with 99,9999% of the Baizuo ideology, except that I can change my gender 666 times per second suffered far more...

Kalon

Scholar
I don't see the problem.

On a side note: by "gender" do you mean "sex"?

Ravielsk

Magister
I prefer Breton's myself mainly because they are the only race whose integration sorta makes sense. Orcs, Argonians and Khajit are technically beast races that should have entirely unique cultures with and their play-style should be more along the lines of what Nosferatu is in Vtmb. Instead they are integrated like regular humans but with a occasional extra voice line but otherwise its all very dry and boring.
The many elves are just different colors of the same flavor that rarely matters(outside of Daggerfall and a the early parts of Morrowind).
Imperials are not even a real race, more like a nationality that forgot its a nationality and Nords kinda do not make much sense because a race averse to magic in a magic filled world is like a country averse to firearms in our world. Sure, the dedication and the aesthetic is nice but your ass really should not exist if you give yourself such a major handicap.

If my race is not going to barely function as a cosmetic choice I would prefer it to at least diegetically make sense. A dude with some magical proclivities is the only real pick for that and Breton's are the only race in TES to meet that criteria.

Last edited:

Kalon

Scholar
Imperials are not even a real race, more like a nationality that forgot its a nationality
They have a bit more going for them in terms of lore, for instance with the Colovian/Nibenese cultures and all the religious cults, but in-game I agree: they feel like a "default race", the one which is not particularly good at magic, or combat, or stealth, but not terrible either.

The many elves are just different colors of the same flavor that rarely matters(outside of Daggerfall and a the early parts of Morrowind).
Not sure what you mean. In terms of gameplay?

Orcs, Argonians and Khajit are technically beast races

Whether the orcs are a beast race or not is debatable. Anyway, there are gameplay differences in Morrowind if you choose a beast race i.e. you can't wear boots and closed helmets and the walking/swimming animation is different too.

On the whole, maybe you're referring more to Oblivion/Skyrim ? Because in Skyrim I can barely tell who is a Nord/Imperial/Breton or who is an Altmer/Bosmer

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
To the +50 of you actually choosing Dunmer; having good stats does not excuse you of actually playing an Elf.

Ravielsk

Magister
Not sure what you mean. In terms of gameplay?
Obviously. Lore is cool to read but I am not reading a lore book, I am playing a game and as far as gameplay goes the only real difference between a bosmer, altmer or a dunmer is in the stat boosts they receive and those have been utterly minuscule outside of Daggerfall and Morrowind.
Anyway, there are gameplay differences in Morrowind if you choose a beast race i.e. you can't wear boots and closed helmets and the walking/swimming animation is different too.
I specifically mentioned Vtmb because that is an actual example of an alternate gameplay style based on your race. At least 50% of the game has to be noticeable altered for that to be the case.
Not having a piece of gear or a different animations affect maybe 5%(if I am being ultra generous) and even then affect very little(unless you are doing some obscure build but that is kind of a "you problem").
On the whole, maybe you're referring more to Oblivion/Skyrim ? Because in Skyrim I can barely tell who is a Nord/Imperial/Breton or who is an Altmer/Bosmer
Everything past Daggerfall.

wishbonetail

Learned
Always breton because of sweet magic resistance. Why dunmers though? Back when i played Oblivion i didn't know that dunmers are all red-eyed so i thought they were vampires. Hunted down every last of them.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Breton has the highest magical resistance ie - they are the best to kill thalmor.

Last edited:

Humanophage

Arcane
esYG4qQ.png

LTYjwEm.png

In the video above.

How this game is not canceled today? JKR which agrees with 99,9999% of the Baizuo ideology, except that I can change my gender 666 times per second suffered far more...
Why should it be cancelled? Nords are white, so it's OK. He says nothing against Redguards.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Breton has the superior culture, superior archtecture, is the most individualistic race and in TES, I always play as a "battlemage" type of class , breton is the best race for battlemages. Being pure mage or pure warrior sucks in every TES games. Now, having the 3rd best mana pool behind only mag and sorc, and being able to wear armor and use any weapon like in TES : Arena is amazing. In daggerfall, custom classes with 3x mana pool and heavy armor are also amazing.

Puukko

Arcane
I gravitate towards Breton or Nord most of the time. Playing an Imperial has never crossed my mind. Morrowind is only ever appropriate as a Dunmer, and I will agree that they have by far the most interesting culture. I do want to do a proper beast race playthrough at some point, though in what game, I have no idea.

I always played the Lizardmen in Master of Magic because I like amphibious races and the Argonians in Morrowind reminded me of them. That's all there is to it. (I also have reptilian blood from my great-great-grandfather who was a banker during the Napoleonic Wars)

Vatnik Wumao
I like most of them, but if I had to pick a few then it'd probably be Orsimer (whole conflict between settled vs nomadic existence, as well as the duality of Trinimac vs Malacath worship), Dwemer (cool aesthetics, neat lore with their focus on tech and their atypical outlook on deity worship) and Reachmen (cool aesthetics, neat lore with their worship of Daedra alongside their practice of animism and stuff like their relationship to hags).

From the playable human races though, I'd go for Imperials since I like the Imperial aesthetic (and they're central to Tamrielic history even if Imperial lore in itself is somewhat meh). Bretons are lame since Bethesda underuses the whole Elven influence angle hence turning them into a bland Anglo-Norman fantasy equivalent (and the remaining cool stuff like with the druids or their political fragmentation being something that they share with the cooler Reachmen, "king in the Reach, not of the Reach" and all that). Nords became lame with Skyrim since the wackier Kirkbride (&co.) stuff wasn't used and they ended up as a bland analogue to the vikings as they're being portrayed in broader pop culture. And I don't particularly care about the Redguards, although that might change depending on how they'll end up being portrayed in the next TES game.

Elves I just don't care about with the exception of the aforementioned orcs and Dwemer (which are cool in spite of being elves, not due to it). Otherwise Dunmer > Altmer > Bosmer.

Khajit, just like the Redguards, are just meh. And Argonians are probably my least favorite race since any cool thing about them is instantly trivialized by their relationship to their Hist overlords.

Self-Ejected
There are only two races in Tes.
One is Dunmer the other is N'Wah.

I like their Traditions,Lore,Religion and History i also like the fact they worship Daedra and are not a sucker of the Divines.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Is there a spreadsheet for each game that lists their bonuses/skills and progression rates?

You could look into the uesp, but sadly each game races become more homogenized. For eg, Bretons in Morrowind start with +50% magicka and 50% magic resistance, in Skyrim, merely 25% magic resistance, Nords in Morrowind had 50% resist vs electricity and 100% resistance vs cold, in Skyrim, merely 50% vs cold.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom