Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Feature Suggestions & Requests - Handled

Heinous Hat

Scholar
- Freedom of movement appears to not work vs. Grease. Or at least the version granted by Lareth's ring isn't working, I don't have the spell.

Should it?

I looked it up and it seems to be another one of those controversial topics for rules lawyers to argue over...

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7605.0

Either way, Grease in ToEE doesn't impede movement, since balance isn't a thing.

Have you added any gore and/or nudity??

Just push criticals and wear the corset ;)

The discussion seems to be centered on whether grease is a magic effect or its a magic effect that summons a mundane thing. To which I say: it protects against other Conjuration spells that summon something that "impedes movement". See Web, Solid Fog/Fog Cloud. Since none of those specify whether the web/fog itself is magical or mundane, I'd say Grease should be considered to be in the same category of "summoned something that affects movement".

Furthermore Freedom of Movement works even against a Web that is used by a Giant spider, even though in that case it isn't a spell being cast but a normal, fully mundane web.

Finally, by the text of it spell it only says it allows you to move and attack normally even while under the influence of magic. It doesn't specifically say that it doesn't work on non-magic

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Freedom even works on grapples or while fighting underwater. Don't see a reason it shouldn't work on grease.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Alright, will do.

Hotkeys seem to not be working properly with some items. I'd like to be able to equip everyone with a Brooch of Shielding and quickly activate it on all of them, but only some of them actually carry out the command when issued by the hotkey. It looks like the problem is that the game is running some kind of invalid check on whether they can cast the spell, and anyone without either arcane magic or UMD skill ignores the command.

Also wands/scrolls are entirely unusable through hotkeys as far as I can tell, and items that require targetting (e.g. Pipe of Pain) are similarly unusable through hotkeys.

Apparently there was a bug where the last radial menu item (in this case the brooch) terminated the execution due to a faulty index check ( < instead of <= ). Fixed for 1.0.8.
Otherwise I don't think Pipe of Pain and such had any issues, I'm guessing it was just affected by the above bug in your testing.

Wands/potions are a bit fiddly because it checks for the exact inventory slot when looking up the hotkeyed action. But yeah, I can fix that too.
DONE

Last edited:

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Freedom even works on grapples or while fighting underwater. Don't see a reason it shouldn't work on grease.

Does Grease even impede movement in the first place though? You make an initial Reflex save to avoid falling and subsequent checks every round you're in the puddle. But movement through the grease is not slowed in ToEE as it is in PnP since there's no Balance check. That is, unless there's some sort of fudged Dex check to simulate it.

Definitely going to take another look, but from memory, characters and critters just plow through the grease pool at regular movement rate. The question in that case would be... should FoM negate the slippage?

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well then grease has to be fixed as well, since it is difficult terrain, so no charging and five foot stepping. And since freedom helps on a sheet of ice, I don't see why it shouldn't help with grease.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
If you have Trip AoOs enabled and someone is standing up from being prone, will it skip the AoO entirely or just make a non-trip attack?
It will make a normal attack, since the AoO is triggered when the character is still prone and thus not a valid trip target. Also I guess it's less ridiculous.

Some weirdness with enlarged characters, power attack, and two handed weapons.

Normally two handed weapons, when enlarged, become large THWs, increasing their damage but having them remain two handed. In PnP you could instead choose to let go of the weapon (having it revert back to a normal two handed weapon) then pick it up again and use it in one hand as a large character. ToEE represents this by basically letting you use most two handed weapons either two handed or one handed in Large form.

Problems:
- Large weapon damage dice are off on a number of weapons to begin with. For example, 2d6 Greatsword goes to 2d8 rather than 3d6, while a 1d10 Glaive goes to 2d6 rather than a 2d8. If you want I'll go through all of the base weapon types and highlight the incorrect ones. There may also be weapons that scale damage incorrectly for tiny characters, I haven't checked. Personally I'd argue that unless donut threat rang for reach weapons can be implemented that reach weapons could use a slightly nerfed die for the OP 15' AoO radius they get on large characters, but that's up to you.
DONE

- THWs used as a normal weapon in one hand w/ shield (or another weapon with two weapon fighting) still have the Large weapon damage rolls. e.g. a Large character using a Greatsword + (non-buckler) shield can only be using it as a medium Greatsword, so it should maintain the base 2d6 damage rather than 2d8 or 3d6.
FIXED (v1.0.8)

- Bucklers are weird since equipping a buckler + THW could mean you are either two handing the weapon and taking a -1 AB from the buckler or one-handing the weapon (thereby getting worse base damage dice) but taking no AB from the buckler. Probably better to assume the former since if a player wanted to one hand a the weapon and use a shield they'd use a real shield and not a buckler, and I don't think its worth cluttering the UI with another option to toggle between the two modes.
FIXED (v1.0.9)

- THWs used as a large weapon in two hands does not get the double bonus from power attack that it should. e.g. sacrificing -10 AB only gives +10 damage rather than +20. Interestingly they DO correctly get the two handed bonus from strength (e.g. 22 strength gives +9 damage rather than +6). ToEE's damage formula must have some really weird coding to treat a weapon as two handed for strength but not for power attack.
FIXED (v1.0.8)

- Even weirder, bucklers with THWs (enlarged or not). A buckler with a THW on a 22 strength character gets +6 damage from strength rather than +9 from a normal THW, but sacrificing -10 AB will give +20 damage. WHAAAAAAT? So here ToEE is having the exact opposite problem. The intention of how the buckler should be used is weird. Reading the ToEE rules carefully it looks to me like a buckler + THW should still be treated as a THW for both strength and power attack reasons. However this is arguably pretty overpowered, a THW user getting almost all of the perks of a sword-and-shield user and only taking -1 AB from the buckler and -1 AC compared to a normal shield. Either way it should be made consistent rather than half one way and half the other.
FIXED (v1.0.9)

Mechanics-wise it looks like if the off-hand in the inventory is open (no 'ghost shield' or 'ghost weapon' in its spot), the character is counted as two-handing a weapon for the purpose of +1.5x strength, but for the purpose of +2x power attack the game instead is checking whether the shield slot has anything at all (buckler or non-buckler).
FIXED (v1.0.8)

Fixed all that shit now for 1.0.9. So yeah, now you have to make a hard choice between dual wielding glaives or holding just one when enlarged :P

Dercik

Novice
Oww and also Flail and Heavy Flail should have disarm bonus (+2)
Already done :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Would be more appropriate to give a penalty for tripping with wrong weapons, say -4 (same as using a weapon that you aren't proficient in).

EDIT: Actually, here's my second thought after reading the 3.5 and ToEE rules more closely.

In 3.5 you can trip as an unarmed attack, which causes an AoO, or with certain weapons, which doesn't cause an AoO. But the key thing to notice is that you can always make an unarmed attack even if your hands hold a weapon (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20070327a), so effectively if you aren't holding the right weapon you can always make a melee touch attack to trip, you simply take the AoO.

ToEE has actually nerfed trip apparently, since in ToEE you always take the AoO regardless of weapon unless you have improved trip.

So the ideal fix would be to make weapons that have tripping capability give immunity to AoOs for tripping.
Done for 1.0.11 (trip weapons are flails, gnome hooked hammer, spiked chain, guisarme, halberd, kama, scythe, sickle, whip)

Interestingly, I think Improved Unarmed Strike should also remove AoOs from unarmed trip attacks, since the wording of Unarmed Trip (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Trip) says it "provokes an attack of opportunity from your target as normal for unarmed attacks.", so if your normal monk unarmed attacks don't provoke AoOs then neither should Trips. Improved Trip would of course still be a useful monk feat for the bonus on Trip rolls. But this might be too rules-lawyery.

Torrasque01

Augur
Sitra could you make a console command to add or remove feats from party members? I see that isn't possible in the vanilla game.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Sitra could you make a console command to add or remove feats from party members? I see that isn't possible in the vanilla game.
Already done this a while ago :)

Code:
game.party[N].feat_add(feat_XXX)

Where N is the party member's index (starting at 0),
and feat_XXX is the feat enum, e.g. feat_power_attack (check rules\feat_enum.mes for the full list).

There's no feat remover, but why would you want that anyway?

Heh! I doubt that's what they intended, but it seems legal. Also if I understand correctly it should incur the off-hand attack penalty, and null the weapon's to hit bonus of course.

As far as the rules are concerned, you can use just about any part of your body in an unarmed attack: a head butt, kick, elbow, knee, or forearm. This means you don't need a free hand to make an unarmed attack.

If you're making any unarmed attacks in addition to an attack with your primary hand (for instance, a sword slash and a kick or head butt), consider the unarmed attacks as off-hand attacks even if you aren't making them with a hand. See Part Two for notes about using unarmed strikes as primary and secondary weapons.

No off-hand penalty unless you've already used your primary hand in the round to attack.

Hard to tell what was intended but it makes some sense. You can trip someone with your feet, or knock them over with your weight (hence the size bonus) with whatever you like in your hands.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Another thing, is it possible to add more options to enhancing items? Even with CO8 there's not that much that can be crafted/enchanted.

Alright, got the infrastructure in place now...

upload_2016-4-28_0-35-4.png

For now it's just +4/+5 (edit: and Speed) that are enabled, but I can add more - which of the following list would you like most?
Code:
{1007}{Ghost Touch}
{1010}{Spell Storing}
{1011}{Throwing}
{1012}{Bane}
{1013}{Disruption}
{1017}{Thundering}
{1018}{Wounding}
{1025}{Brilliant Energy}
{1026}{Dancing}
{1027}{Distance}
{1028}{Ki Focus}
{1029}{Merciful}
{1030}{Returning}
{1031}{Seeking}
{1033}{Vicious}
{1034}{Vorpal}

Also, I made it so that adding the +1 effect strips away the "Masterwork" from the item name, the rest of the +X bonuses overwrite the previous one, and the other effects are prepended rather than appended. So e.g. instead of "Masterwork Ranseur +1 +2 Holy" you'll automatically get "Holy Ranseur +2".

Edit: and, added a tooltip for requirements.

BTW, I want to expand the area for applied effects, and also space out the normal Item Creation UI so there's room for longer names with the Priory-12 font:

upload_2016-4-27_11-43-55.png

Any volunteers for some photoshopping?

P.S. also fixed Freedom of Movement vs. Grease.
P.P.S. added "Speed" weapon enchantment. Also fixed the Haste stacking bug while I was at it - apologies to all the cheaters.

P.P.P.S. this will be the modified UI background unless someone wants to tweak it:
ITEM_CREATION_WIDENED5.png

upload_2016-4-29_19-24-28.png

Attachments

• CraftMAA.JPG
    CraftMAA.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 318
  • upload_2016-4-28_0-33-34.png
    upload_2016-4-28_0-33-34.png
    566.8 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Question: Should Flaming Burst applied to a weapon with Flaming *replace* the Flaming bonus, or does it add on top? Both in terms of Total Effective Bonus and effect...

I took the liberty of interpreting Spell Resistance to be upgradeable as such.

upload_2016-4-29_2-51-29.png

Unfortunately, now the CL 15 requirement is actually enforced ;)

Also made the enhancement bonus have its own pair of buttons instead of clogging the list on the left with +1 thru +5.
Additionally, the Total Effective Bonus cannot exceed 10 now, conforming to RAW.

Also made it display effects that you don't have access to, e.g. when your Priest crafts it with Holy and your Wizard follows up with other things:

upload_2016-4-29_2-58-26.png

Edit: also added Merciful, Seeking, Thundering, Wounding (in addition to the above mentioned Speed and +4/+5 bonuses). Thundering will even play a sound when activated :)

Last edited:

Dr. Bak

Novice
Question: Should Flaming Burst applied to a weapon with Flaming *replace* the Flaming bonus, or does it add on top? Both in terms of Total Effective Bonus and effect...
RAW don't give many clues about that. Those are separate enchantments, so is possible to craft a +1/flaming/flaming burst weapon (minimum bonus +4). On a critical it would deal +1d6+1d6+xd10 damage.
The option to swap a flaming enchantment for a flaming burst effect doesn't sound unreasonable anyway. Would make such improvements cheaper at mid levels.

Dr. Bak

Novice
2.a. Assuming so - if you trip someone on an AoO, and have the Improved Trip feat, do you also get a free attack, or does that not apply because you can only make multiple free actions on your turn?
Wouldn't apply... free actions can only be taken during your own turn.
Actually, the manual doesn't say it's a free action, it simply says that you get that attack "as if you hadn’t used your attack for the trip attempt" so it might work as well during an AOO
Done for 1.0.11

Besides that, what about holding the charge? It would allow casters to use their touch spells as long as they finally hit (or simply decide to cast another spell)
Done for 1.0.11

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Actually, the manual doesn't say it's a free action, it simply says that you get that attack "as if you hadn’t used your attack for the trip attempt" so it might work as well during an AOO
Oh god, this system is a rules lawyer's paradise :lol:

Besides that, what about holding the charge? It would allow casters to use their touch spells as long as they finally hit (or simply decide to cast another spell)
That's a good call.

Got some holidays coming up this week so there should be a nice 1.0.11 this sunday :)

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Hey, currently the thing about gaining exp without levelling up your characters works by letting your dudes gaing up to the next level's maximum -1 exp.
For example, a level 1 guy can gain up to 2999 exp (3000 exp is level 3) without levelling up but after gaining more the exp gets lost and you have to level him in order to gain more.
Can it be changed so that you can keep gaining exp even after that point?

Done for 1.0.11, as part of a new House Rules menu in the configurator.

Also added Tripping Bite to wolves, which implements their Trip ability. Finally there's a reason to use a Wolf animal companion over the Jackal! (which otherwise had more HP & higher BAB, and thus was just plain better).

This is also the first usage of a new Temple+ system - Python Modifiers. This allows to define new modifiers/conditions with python callbacks instead of hard coding them. See tpgamefiles.dat scr\tpModifiers for usage example, and I'll write a Wiki about it later.

Last edited:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
*casts summon rules lawyer*

I'm currently recreating the Cast Spell handling, mostly to create new actions that produce spells or spell-like effects (e.g. Prestige Classes).

Along the way I want to make Scroll and Wand usage RAW compliant, so I wanted to make sure I got it straight:
  1. Using a Wand does not provoke an AoO (ref: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wands.htm)
  2. Using a Scroll does provoke an AoO (ref: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#spellCompletion ).
Is that correct?

Edit: while I'm at it, potions: Should you be able to use them on others during combat?
Rules say it's possible on an unconscious character as a full round action. There's no specification for conscious characters, but why shouldn't that be possible? I can debit a standard action from the target if that's the issue.

Last edited:

Allyx

Savant
1. Correct, wands do not provoke AoO's
2. Scrolls do provoke AoO's
Casting scrolls defensively do not provoke AoO's, failing to pass the concentration check causes the spell to fail.

Interestingly though, according to the SRD, using potions do not provoke AoO's

Allyx

Savant
Ah, I guess that is the 'unless otherwise stated' bit. 'Failing the concentration check vs the attack of opportunity prevents the user taking the potion, alternatively the AoO may be dealt to the potion itself...'

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom