Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster - New Remasters of Final Fantasy I-VI

newtmonkey

Arcane
Remastered by people with zero visual design sense. High res text on pixellated backgrounds, character battle sprites that are completely out of place with the monster graphics, and a "CRT filter" that is an abomination (black lines are way too thick, and don't even line up correctly with the artwork lol).

PSX remakes of FF1&2 are just perfect. They have the original difficulty and mechanics, fix a lot of the bugs left in the Famicom versions, and look and sound wonderful.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2561708531

9E71558ABF413C6C1BAB0BB0B75F6F7ED35DC631

some changes in the FF3 Remaster
most classes have been upgraded.
* Black Belts can now attack multiple enemies with the Kick ability.
* Bards now control what they Sing.
* Vikings can now force enemy attacks on them with the Draw Attacks ability.
* Dark Knights can now attack multiple enemies with the Blade Blitz ability.

Bosses have had their HP values buffed

Casual Hero

Augur
Well, I just beat the FF 1 remaster. It was the first time playing FF 1 for me, and I enjoyed it. The new music sounded great, and I got used to the crappy text and pastel sprites.
I started completely ignoring the story after about 20 minutes; it was the combat that kept me engaged. That being said, while I love the phase based combat rounds and the magic slot system, it felt like it never hit its full potential in the game. Those mechanics tend to lend themselves to more strategic thinking, and yet I ended up using fast combat on most random encounters.
I will also say that the game was an absolute cakewalk. After about an hour you never have to worry about money at all, and you can buy essentially unlimited healing items which makes the spell slot management a little less impactful (read: not at all impactful).
Every boss except for the final one went down in 3-5 rounds, which was disappointing. At least Chaos was satisfying to fight.

Still, while extremely easy, it was a very short game (8 hours for me) and was fun all the way through. I'll probably play it again someday on the NES just for a different perspective.

Jinn

Arcane
Still, while extremely easy, it was a very short game (8 hours for me) and was fun all the way through. I'll probably play it again someday on the NES just for a different perspective.

It's cause you played the dumbed down, piss-easyified zoomer version.

Go play the NES or PSX versions and come back with a valid opinion about FF1.

And to everyone else: DO NOT BUY THESE VERSIONS OF THE GAMES. Not only are they ugly as fuck, but they didn't leave the original gameplay even remotely intact. You do not finish the original Final Fantasy 1 in 8 hours unless you're using speedrun strats or some shit.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Wish I could find a comprehensible list of changes between these and the originals. I finished FF1 and am halfway through FF3. FF3 feels mostly the same to me, but FF1 felt easier because I was getting XP and gil like nothing before. I think they just upped the amount of XP you get from enemies in FF1 to cut down the tedium, but I could be misremembering stuff. Because of that it can come off as easy, but it's not like the original game was that hard either, just grindier. They also fixed some bugs in the Pixel Remaster which makes the Fighter and Red Mage less OP choices (Int actually does something now! You have a reason to pick a BLM over RDM if you wanna do magic damage!). Still, there could be more subtle changes that I'm just not remembering. I played FF3 on a NES emulator over 20 years ago, I'm bound to forget some details.

But in any case, I'm really enjoying these remasters. I think they're great and I can't wait for FF4 and 5 to be released as well. For me the big star of the show are the orchestrated soundtracks. The music was always well composed and nice even with the NES sound chips, but now it's just beautiful.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I hope those are decently easy to mod, if they get a hard mode mod they might become the definitive editions.
Load super fast, built in speed up mode, very good sound, looks at least halfway decent, fixed bugs, vancian casting.
A shame they couldn't help themselves and nerfed the difficulty to hell and back, but judging by the mainstream reaction nobody wants hard JRPGs anymore nowadays.
:majordecline:

Duraframe300

Arcane
Speakig of which

https://github.com/hpgross/ff1-pr-NES-rebalance

Yeah, as much as I'm not a fan in its current form, it seems moddable enough (not exactly straightforward, but so weren't the last versions) that it easily can get there. I half-way expected for Square to make it as closed off as possible, but I'm surprised in a positive way.

20210803013628_1.jpg

Hoping for a port of AWR to the 6 remaster since that one seems to suffer the most by the new assets (imo)

Ghulgothas

Arcane
A graphics replacement is what I'm hoping for. A combination of the spritework of the PSP versions of for I, II and IV coupled with the Score from these remasters would be an ideal version for all three.

Duraframe300

Arcane
A graphics replacement is what I'm hoping for. A combination of the spritework of the PSP versions of for I, II and IV coupled with the Score from these remasters would be an ideal version for all three.

As far as I understand it, its possible, but the PSP art has to be reworked a bit, because different dimensions come into play here. It's stretched if you directly insert it.

As I posted above I hope AWR/Atmaweapon can be ported and we'll see more mod compliations in that vein where you can can pick and choose your favourite sprite work.

Jinn

Arcane
At what point is "hard" just "long"?

Judging from what you posted about Final Fantasy 1, you didn't have to deal with what are a couple of the major challenges, which are resource management and survival. This does indeed translate into more length, but ultimately that's where a lot of satisfaction in a challenging JRPG from this era comes from. Sounds like you could probably also save pretty much anywhere, the enemies were weakened, you were dealing additional damage, you needed less experience to level up, equipment and spells were probably much cheaper, and you probably had some sort of hint system pointing you in the right direction of your next destination. Yes, playing the game without these nerfs translates into a lengthier experience, but again, a much more rewarding one when you delve a deep dungeon with tons of dead-ends and still emerge victorious with like two spells and a potion in your inventory and two characters dead, or figure out the next location you need to go, or get that new weapon or spell that changes the tide of battle, etc. If you can't see how these would be important elements of rewarding and challenging gameplay, then you're playing in the wrong genre. Though if I have to actually answer this question for you in the first place, it's likely you are indeed playing in the wrong genre. Yes, there's some early grinding you have to do in the original version, but that accounts for maybe an added hour or two. You should be able to beat Final Fantasy 1 in 20-25 hours.

The best versions of Final Fantasy 1 and 2 are on the PSX. They are not only beautiful to look at, but the gameplay is kept intact with all quality of life improvements you could want. There's really no reason to get the first two games in these "pixel remastered" versions. I get why people might want to have an actual pixel version of Final Fantasy 3 in English, but I'd probably still go for the translated NES version. As for 4-6, hard to say on 4 but it'll probably be nerfed from the original Japanese version's difficulty, 5 is already one of the ugliest in the series besides the enemy sprites so it might be worth it on PC, and we've already seen in the few screenshots of 6 how they've managed to sap all the character and atmosphere out of the environmental and sprite work by using a ridiculous bright and cheery color palette, but gameplay would probably be kept intact as it's a pretty easy game to begin with.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Rebalance as posted above based on the NES version

https://github.com/hpgross/ff1-pr-NES-rebalance

The rebalance looks neat so far, I like that the formulas are not changed yet, as I have no problem with modifying the balance between the 6 classes as long as the difficulty stays intact.
I somehow fucked up the appliance of the mod tho, after extraction the application closed itself immediatly, and after modifying the stats inside there the game no longer loads.
I will wait for some very dedicated modder to make the rebalance into a nifty idiot proof patch, hopefully with a toggle for bug fixes and formula changes, and then just apply that. I ahve no doubt FF1 will attract one.
Patience pays out.

Ash

Arcane

It's cause you played the dumbed down, piss-easyified zoomer version.

Go play the NES or PSX versions and come back with a valid opinion about FF1.

And to everyone else: DO NOT BUY THESE VERSIONS OF THE GAMES. Not only are they ugly as fuck, but they didn't leave the original gameplay even remotely intact. You do not finish the original Final Fantasy 1 in 8 hours unless you're using speedrun strats or some shit.

I'm sure that's all on the genius addition of quicksaving and fast forward combo :roll:

FFwd is understandable in later FF games for some of the more drawn out action (summons) or cutscenes you've seen before (though I'd still argue not to include it), but why the fuck does FF1-6 need it? Everything is pretty fast in most of these.

Heart and soul went out of Square a LOOOOONG time ago.

Square Enix are so fucking slimey these days. Clearly not the same people running the show as the 90s. Quite sad.

Last edited:

Grimlorn

Arcane
You do not finish the original Final Fantasy 1 in 8 hours unless you're using speedrun strats or some shit.
Yeah I beat it a few times as a kid with various party setups. There's no way it's an 8 hour game. I remember the Wizard fight in the Marsh always being somewhat difficult depending on your party setup. Sometimes you might have needed to grind a couple levels there. I don't recall needing to grind anywhere else though. Steel Armor being 50k gold and usually not being able to afford it. Potions being the only healing potion, they only restored 30 hp IIRC and you could only carry 99. Only being able to save outside of dungeons, meaning you had to go through the whole thing in one go without running out of spells and potions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom