Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster - New Remasters of Final Fantasy I-VI

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
FF4 is coming on September 8

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Updates to the first three games: https://steamcommunity.com/games/1173770/announcements/detail/2958289941737658882

First Update Contents
We bring you the main update contents.

The main updates are as below.

*If the game was played after selecting “Fullscreen” or “Borderless Windowed” in the display settings and the game is closed, it will start with the same settings.

*The window size on initial start-up will now match resolutions for various monitors.

*Made improvements to alleviate screen tearing that can occur with some PC environments. This update focused on windowed mode, and will continue to be worked on.

*Fixed the following issues.
・Under certain circumstances, the graphics may become corrupted when restarting the game after returning to the title screen.
・If the OS region setting is set to certain regions, some graphics may not display correctly.

Further updates are planned, including overall stability and speed improvements.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1173780/announcements/detail/2967297140995560866

*If the game was played after selecting “Fullscreen” or “Borderless Windowed” in the display settings and the game is closed, it will start with the same settings.

*The window size on initial start-up will now match resolutions for various monitors.

*Made improvements to alleviate screen tearing that can occur with some PC environments. This update focused on windowed mode, and will continue to be worked on.

・Under certain circumstances, the graphics may become corrupted when restarting the game after returning to the title screen.
・If the OS region setting is set to certain regions, some graphics may not display correctly.
・After defeating the enemies in the front row, the enemies in the back row may not be treated as front row.
・”Cure” and “Life” do not function correctly while “Blood Sword” is equipped.
・Using certain spells repeatedly during battle may slow down processing.
・Escaping to the world map from certain towns under certain circumstances using Teleport or Warp may cause a blocker bug.
・Fixed some text.

Further updates are planned, including overall stability and speed improvements.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1173790/announcements/detail/2970674840715059669

・During battle with certain enemies, the game may stop progressing if all allies are defeated except a Dragoon using Jump.
・Certain event battle conditions may be difficult to fulfil depending on the character progression level.
・Fixed some images and text.

Last edited:

Gastrick

Cipher
Square did a good job remastering Romancing Saga 3, they must get their shovelware division to work on the old Final Fantasies.

The GBA version of FF1 that played itself takes around 17 hours to beat, so this version must be even easier or they cut the bonus dungeons. It might be both, considering that the bonus dungeons shouldn't double the play time on their own (8 to 17hrs).

Sentinel

Arcane
mod for alternate sprites for FF4 is ready
just awaiting game launch
QgrhdMW.png

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I seem to be getting some weird stuttering with FF4 that I didn't get with the previous games. I've also had the game just lock up a few times during combat when I put auto battle on, so I'm just avoiding that feature for now. Overall impression is that this is the shabbiest release in the Pixel Remaster library.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
From what I read, FF4 uses the original JP stats for enemies (which is the hardest version), but the XP is doubled. There's a mod to cut the XP rates which apparently might help a bit? The store values + gold is still inflated, but there really aren't many things you can buy in FF4 with gold anyway as almost every item is found in a dungeon and all spells are learned via level ups.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Damn, Final Fantasy 1 is pretty good with Origins balance and spell slots. The only version I played before was one ported from the PSP I think, and mana points really take a lot from this game.
Marsh Cave was a really intense dungeon, and my mage felt valuable for the first time by thundara clearing entire encounters in one turn. Only the last stage with the good old "lol 15 identical rooms" layout was a bit annoying. Returning there with the key to get a really good armor was nice aswell.
I was a bit too scared of the original balance to run any meme teams, I use standard Fighter/Thief/White Mage/Black Mage.
Fighters are fucking busted. No surprise that the best setup for speedrunning is apparently 2 fighters 2 redmages. You only get enough cash to gear out one fighter with original balance, but you get enough drops from chests to gear out a second.

Hassar

Scholar
Damn, Final Fantasy 1 is pretty good with Origins balance and spell slots. The only version I played before was one ported from the PSP I think, and mana points really take a lot from this game.
Marsh Cave was a really intense dungeon, and my mage felt valuable for the first time by thundara clearing entire encounters in one turn. Only the last stage with the good old "lol 15 identical rooms" layout was a bit annoying. Returning there with the key to get a really good armor was nice aswell.
I was a bit too scared of the original balance to run any meme teams, I use standard Fighter/Thief/White Mage/Black Mage.
Fighters are fucking busted. No surprise that the best setup for speedrunning is apparently 2 fighters 2 redmages. You only get enough cash to gear out one fighter with original balance, but you get enough drops from chests to gear out a second.

FF1 definitely straddles the sweet spot between laying the groundwork for an epic storyline with some humor thrown in - many later entries lean more into My main critique for most JRPGs touches on your last point: it’s clear that many developers never thought of magic systems beyond “alternative to ‘Attack’” & still don’t. Fighters definitely get the benefit of having a main ability unrestricted by resource management. It used to be a function of having most interaction occur via the combat screen but really devolved into fighters having super strength and unlimited endurance while magic users are supporting characters. Mage: The Ascension/The Awakening nail it but most games don’t follow its lead & most remain focused on weapons-based interactions.

That said, I never liked the Vancian system though it feels more like an improvement compared to cooldown/based systems. I might be old school by now but components and the realities of a combat round seemed like enough resource management to me.

I think my first party ever was F/Bm/Wm/Thief but as I played through it more, I ended up with meme-y parties like all White and/or Black Wizards. I think Square and a lot of developers overlook the joy of creating your own party, instead foisting quirky characters on you so they can tell you their story. FF1 is so memorable because that’s in your control.

Last edited:

Grimlorn

Arcane
Thieves are kind of useless IIRC. Better to pick something like a black belt which can do even more damage with their fists late game.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Thieves are kind of useless IIRC. Better to pick something like a black belt which can do even more damage with their fists late game.

I did some reading about class balance after my run, because that is always fun.
Thieves are useless in the early game, but pretty good late as the Ninja can wear almost all gear in the game, and cast Haste and Temper, some of the strongest spells in versions where the bugs are fixed.
Black Belt is kind of bad, very good DPS but the low armor kills it.
Best setups always involve two warriors, but after that there are very different setups for the last two heroes for speedrunning.
Fighter/WhiteMage Fighter/Red Mage 2xRedmages 2xBlackMages seem to be the most popular setups.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Keep in mind that Red Mages were good because INT was busted and didn't work. Didn't matter who was casting the spell so might as well take the class that can also wear armor and decent weapons as well. BLM have more value in the PR version because spell damage correctly scales with INT now.

Grimlorn

Arcane

I did some reading about class balance after my run, because that is always fun.
Thieves are useless in the early game, but pretty good late as the Ninja can wear almost all gear in the game, and cast Haste and Temper, some of the strongest spells in versions where the bugs are fixed.
Black Belt is kind of bad, very good DPS but the low armor kills it.
Best setups always involve two warriors, but after that there are very different setups for the last two heroes for speedrunning.
Fighter/WhiteMage Fighter/Red Mage 2xRedmages 2xBlackMages seem to be the most popular setups.
Well whatever you read was wrong. Keeping Black Belts/Masters alive is not difficult at all. Low armor doesn't matter much they are more useful than Ninjas. I'm pretty sure they have a lot higher evasion. If you want an extra caster you can go with a red mage which can equip most armor and swords that knights can equip along with getting access to most white and black magic. And no the best setups aren't always 2 fighters. You can beat the game easier with 2-3 black belts and 1 white mage than 2-3 knights and 1 white mage. The only problem is early game when the black belts don't do much damage but once they're around level 15 they start doing about the same damage as a fighter and eventually outpace the fighter. Haste and Temper aren't even that valuable because you can just kill everything including bosses late game in 2-3 rounds if you have fighters and black belts making up 3-4 slots of your party.

Last edited:

Hassar

Scholar
PS1 origins version still looks better to me than any version released since

Agreed. They really should just invest in making a photorealistic, high-quality, 3-d version with a legitimate attempt at epic fantasy like LotR instead of the anime, more goofy, cartoon content they prefer to release.

I’m sure everyone’s imagination was different, but as a kid, I envisioned something less stylized because I could differentiate between what the sprites looked like onscreen and that they were meant to represent actual people.

The “I want to kill Chaos” game is the wrong direction. FF1PR looks better than that tbh.

Codex Year of the Donut
PS1 origins version still looks better to me than any version released since

Agreed. They really should just invest in making a photorealistic, high-quality, 3-d version with a legitimate attempt at epic fantasy like LotR instead of the anime, more goofy, cartoon content they prefer to release.

I’m sure everyone’s imagination was different, but as a kid, I envisioned something less stylized because I could differentiate between what the sprites looked like onscreen and that they were meant to represent actual people.

The “I want to kill Chaos” game is the wrong direction. FF1PR looks better than that tbh.

FF1 was heavily inspired by D&D/western games, the anime aesthetics look wrong because it is wrong.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
2nd updates to 1-3 finally fixes the font.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1173770/announcements/detail/5201084465225431293
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1173780/announcements/detail/5225854263178792518
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1173790/announcements/detail/4746220900741634028

Common things:

The main content of this update is outlined below.
  • Stability when playing over long periods has been improved. This will continue to be improved further in future.

• The text for the following languages has been adjusted to improve readability. These improvements have also been implemented for FF4 and all subsequent titles:
    English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese

• Adjustments have been made to areas on the menu where it was difficult to move the cursor.

Game specific fixes:

FF1

• The following bugs have been fixed:
    - Issue where some parts of the Items menu would disappear temporarily under certain conditions.
    - It was sometimes impossible to unlock the achievement "Master of I" when continuing to play, using the cloud save function.

FF2

- Issue where the destination travelled to is incorrect when using teleport in a separate area after leaving a specific dungeon (There is a chance that this issue will still occur once after the update when using pre-existing save data).
    - Issue where some parts of the Items menu would disappear temporarily under certain conditions.
    - It was sometimes impossible to unlock the achievement "Master of II" when continuing to play, using the cloud save function.

FF3

• It is now possible to recover from KO when using the recovery pot in Castle Hein

- Issue where songs learned as a Bard are also exchanged when party members use the "exchange" spell, creating an incorrect situation with the abilities learned.
    - It was sometimes impossible to unlock the achievement "Master of III" when continuing to play, using the cloud save function.

mondoar

Literate
I wish they at least had an option to keep the original balance in the games. All 4 of them have reduced challenge in one way or another. Just have an option when you start a game: "Classic difficulty or Modern difficulty"

Let the record show that getting high, installing Final Fantasy 1 pixel remaster from a shared library, and then playing hours straight is really fucking good. Which is surprising because I normally am vehemently anti-JRPG and thought it would bore the tears out of me, but with the auto-battler it's turned into more of a resource-management game and pressing my luck in dungeons, and the complete lack of story combined with talking to random NPCs who talk about enough that you can figure out vaguely what to do as the map gradually opens up was way more appealing than I thought it would be. Never played a Final Fantasy before and it's almost giving me Might and Magic level feelings of mowing the lawn of monsters and soaking up XP and gold, and spells being far and away the most expensive thing has M&M vibes too. Stomp around a dungeon then hit up the magic guild in town and blow it all on learning new spells. Little curious if I'll still be enjoying it once they try to stick me with a story but FF1's good shit. Makes me want to buy the collection but as of now I absolutely can't justify $75 for it, but assuming I like the others when I get to them they might've sold me.

Another thing worth mentioning, some really damn cool concept art. It's a shame none of that really translates to the game itself since you get a few fantastical alien looking environments while the game itself is just Generic Green Fantasy Land. Understandable given the age of the game but it's a shame the concept art is so cool when the game couldn't have really lived up to it.

Rambling, but yeah. Been quite surprised how much I've been enjoying it. Was relaxing even before getting high just as a really laid back time waster and the music really helps with that too. If the balance was different I before I could also see how that'd annoy people, but as a dirty casual that didn't think he liked JRPGs and never played a Final Fantasy it's really relaxing. Hoping they'll run a sale on the whole collection but since there's a sale running now and they didn't mark it down I suspect it'll be a while.

Codex Year of the Donut
Let the record show that getting high, installing Final Fantasy 1 pixel remaster from a shared library, and then playing hours straight is really fucking good. Which is surprising because I normally am vehemently anti-JRPG and thought it would bore the tears out of me, but with the auto-battler it's turned into more of a resource-management game and pressing my luck in dungeons, and the complete lack of story combined with talking to random NPCs who talk about enough that you can figure out vaguely what to do as the map gradually opens up was way more appealing than I thought it would be. Never played a Final Fantasy before and it's almost giving me Might and Magic level feelings of mowing the lawn of monsters and soaking up XP and gold, and spells being far and away the most expensive thing has M&M vibes too. Stomp around a dungeon then hit up the magic guild in town and blow it all on learning new spells. Little curious if I'll still be enjoying it once they try to stick me with a story but FF1's good shit. Makes me want to buy the collection but as of now I absolutely can't justify $75 for it, but assuming I like the others when I get to them they might've sold me.

Another thing worth mentioning, some really damn cool concept art. It's a shame none of that really translates to the game itself since you get a few fantastical alien looking environments while the game itself is just Generic Green Fantasy Land. Understandable given the age of the game but it's a shame the concept art is so cool when the game couldn't have really lived up to it.

Rambling, but yeah. Been quite surprised how much I've been enjoying it. Was relaxing even before getting high just as a really laid back time waster and the music really helps with that too. If the balance was different I before I could also see how that'd annoy people, but as a dirty casual that didn't think he liked JRPGs and never played a Final Fantasy it's really relaxing. Hoping they'll run a sale on the whole collection but since there's a sale running now and they didn't mark it down I suspect it'll be a while.
final fantasy is probably the least jrpg-like jrpg, the devs have pointed to Ultima and Wizardry being their main inspirations and stated the combat was inspired by D&D

there were quite a few good jrpgs before ~2000 though, really haven't liked any modern ones

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom