Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Bah. FF7 was overrated as a game. 6 and tactics were the high point for me.
After that, I lost interest.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
If you want to see truly poor JRPG combat, then try playing Legend of Legaia, FFXII, Koudelka or The Witcher.

gag-jim-carrey-liar-liar.gif

Why would you even name those in the same sentence? As far as bad turn-based JRPGs go, at least Legend of Legaia tried to innovate and keep it fun with its combo system, which kept you guessing at the most efficient way to link your combos in order to maximize damage.

On the other hand, Koudelka has one of the most awesome combat / leveling systems in JRPGs ever, allowing you to customize your characters as you see fit, rewarding you for grinding the fuck out of specializing in certain weapons / spells and having a shitload of progression as you become stronger. Furthermore, it has one of the rare instances of combat where positioning has any meaning and, with items having durability (and inventory being limited), it enforces resource management instead of COLLECT EVERYTHING LOOT EVERYONE.

Srsly, dafuk.

Perkel

Arcane
No JRPG is ever going to win any literally awards and I'll take a bad translation any day over half-hearted voice acting.

Tactics Ogre has better writing and dialogs than almost all games in codex top10 best rpgs ever.

A user named cat

If you want to see truly poor JRPG combat, then try playing Legend of Legaia, FFXII, Koudelka or The Witcher.

Why would you even name those in the same sentence? As far as bad turn-based JRPGs go, at least Legend of Legaia tried to innovate and keep it fun with its combo system, which kept you guessing at the most efficient way to link your combos in order to maximize damage.

On the other hand, Koudelka has one of the most awesome combat / leveling systems in JRPGs ever, allowing you to customize your characters as you see fit, rewarding you for grinding the fuck out of specializing in certain weapons / spells and having a shitload of progression as you become stronger. Furthermore, it has one of the rare instances of combat where positioning has any meaning and, with items having durability (and inventory being limited), it enforces resource management instead of COLLECT EVERYTHING LOOT EVERYONE.

Srsly, dafuk.
Legend of Legay's combat was like playing Parappa the Rapper on pause. Talk about tedious and incredibly tiresome especially later on, that shit was the opposite of fun. It was Lyric Suite at a kegger. No wait. It was Josh Sawyer narrating the audiobook for Call of Cthulhu while on sleeping pills. Get the fuck out, buddy. That game was garbage, friend.

You could literally eat a waffle and whole chicken before finishing a random battle in Koudelka. The strategic element offered nothing of value except slower than grandma tits combat. Can you say plodding and aggravating? It was certainly no Divinity. Good grief, that game could turn anyone into a raging psychopath as the slow as cancer balls combat wears on you. Then it got even worse when they went on to make Shadow Hearts, those shitty and overrated railroaded linear horror JRPGs with QTE combat that knuckle dragging teens loved because someone spilled some grim dark in their weeaboo soda.

Legend of Dragoon, Chrono Cross and Drakkhen for SNES had some pretty shit combat too, just to name a few more.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I knew it would be difficult to digest the change to modern cinematic story telling and 3D action style but now that I saw the preview video I'm even more convinced that {No thanks}

And it looks way too grim dark. Like colors are forbidden now?
The real problem isn't that colors are forbidden.

The real problem is that Mr T is forbidden.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Nah, still just shit taste. Everyone who actually played FF12 knows that it had some of the best and most challenging combat that the whole series has seen. If you only played the story then you literally missed the whole game. All the optional dungeons and monsters was where it was really at, because that's where you actually had to know how to play the game if you wanted to get anywhere.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Legend of Legay's

Game had an Auto button. You literally pressed Left to attack, Left to Auto. Shit took no time at all, but in the meantime boss battles actually required you to do more than spam X.

You could literally eat a waffle and whole chicken before finishing a random battle in Koudelka.

Bullshit. If you had a single neuron doing synapse you would take advantage of elemental weaknesses and the battle would be over with a single spell. Which you could force Edward to have, for example, because the game features a completely point-based, customizable progression mechanic.

and wtf is shadow hearst lol

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
so does FF12.
There are some area where you can be overlevelled and/or die, and so? It still has the most horrible combat system in a FF (I haven't played the 13 ones). And I say that as someone who doesn't overly hate FF12.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
so does FF12.
There are some area where you can be overlevelled and/or die, and so? It still has the most horrible combat system in a FF (I haven't played the 13 ones). And I say that as someone who doesn't overly hate FF12.

You can't strong arm your way through all the optional encounters just as you can be way underleveled for other encounters and still win by smart play. I was sweating bullets when I was trying to kill Gilgamesh and Enkidu and steal all the Ninja loot, while I was severely underleveled for that encounter. I also tried to do the same encounter while a lot higher level and while it was obviously easier, it didn't guarantee that I'd win if I slacked.

Perkel

Arcane

Nah, still just shit taste. Everyone who actually played FF12 knows that it had some of the best and most challenging combat that the whole series has seen. If you only played the story then you literally missed the whole game. All the optional dungeons and monsters was where it was really at, because that's where you actually had to know how to play the game if you wanted to get anywhere.

Did i miss something when i will say that 99% of combat it that game is healing spam ? Because outside of low level mobs all game looked like that. Monsters do truckload of damage you need constantly to heal and revive so you can't have party without healer healing 24/7 and one other character that does that half of the time. Let's also talk about hitboxes, huuuuuge badly designed corridors filled with trash mobs that would make FFXIII corridors best corridors ever.

You are right optional content is fun. To find it, not to actually do it.

People said Zodiac Edition fixed combat and made it less mmoish by introducing classes so people wouldn't pursue healing magic (which is like DUH for non zodiac edition) with all characters without actually fixing healing problem in game. So it basically mean that if you had only one character with healing magic then that character would be 24/7 and made squad rotation even more problematic than it was.

So yeah i have pretty good knowledge about FFXII as i spend shitload of time with it. Only interesting part about that system was gambit system and IT WAS ACTUALLY fun to set up gambits for all characters and watch AI battles being basically manager. But my autism doesn't have anything to do with garbage combat system. It didn't reward tactics once battle started it reward pure and simple DPS and health regen, especially since most of the bosses had huge pool of resistances so all of those interesting spells were mostly useless outside of standard mobs.

hard combat =/= good combat

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
hard combat =/= good combat
Yup, that was basically my point, FF12 managed to make some battles rightfully diffcult (I remember the fight against the boss of the cave with the cristals being very pleasant), but generally the fights were mostly long and boring (even when they were hard).
For example FF9 is very easy, but I think the battles are more fun (and the character system too, but the FF12 Zodiac Edition indeed looks good).

Last edited:

imweasel

Check out the real time combat system ™

These retards actually succeeded in fucking up the remake.

Melcar

Arcane
First episode will probably be the initial terrorist run and some random shit in Midgar. Fuck this shit. Speaking of terrorism, you think the Japs will change some stuff due to all the shit going on right now?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom