Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

Ash

Arcane
Square Enix should not be touching a single one of these old gems. People never learn. There's room for improvement sure, but Square Enix has proven time and time again they're not fit to be the ones to attempt it.

If you want moar, there are a few worthwhile mods out there. And they're free. Don't be a retard and beg at the feet of Square Enix once more for goodness sake.

mogwaimon

Magister
I'd get a better 'remake' experience playing Brave New World for a second time tbh. Last time I beat it was 1.5.2, they didn't even have esper levels implemented yet

edit: if BNW isn't your idea of a worthwhile mod to play then what is? it's basically vanilla but rebalanced so the game's not a walk in the park

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Literally the only thing the original needs is up-rezzed backgrounds, 60 FPS animations/movies, and improved character models. Everything else is a complete waste of time. Most of the content in that video actually makes the game worse, not better.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'm amazed that nobody has pushed for a FF6 remake yet. Like a hardcore remake like this.

Probably because the FF6 crowd is too old to give a fuck anymore and it's not an instant win for them

FF6 doesn't need a remake. Even the old pixel-art still holds up and if you want something newer there are mods that fix the steam versions (imo my preferred way to play FFVI now is going full Amano on sprites YMMV)

Pics/links please.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I'm amazed that nobody has pushed for a FF6 remake yet. Like a hardcore remake like this.

Probably because the FF6 crowd is too old to give a fuck anymore and it's not an instant win for them

FF6 doesn't need a remake. Even the old pixel-art still holds up and if you want something newer there are mods that fix the steam versions (imo my preferred way to play FFVI now is going full Amano on sprites YMMV)

Pics/links please.

I've posted about it before. (Full Amano starts at 00:40)

There are multiple versions of the mod you can select in the installer. You can choose everything in between full SNES (Nostalgia) and full Amano (Based on his artwork. So you get white haired Terra, non-Bandana Locke and so on) and additionally a *remaster* of the SNES sprites . Basically instead of the half-assed job Square did by mismatching portraits and sprites you can finally get cohesion.

It also fixes all the other sprite based errors in the original port, improves menus a bit and so on. It's still in active development. There's also fun stuff like this:

Ash

Arcane
You.. you guys are joking right? 90% of the stuff in that video was awful, utterly awful

Agree. Outside of uprezzed backgrounds and certain other stuff most of the PC version mods are pretty lame.
Just grab PSX emu and install the Hardtype mod for an authentic and engaging experience.

I'd get a better 'remake' experience playing Brave New World for a second time tbh. Last time I beat it was 1.5.2, they didn't even have esper levels implemented yet

edit: if BNW isn't your idea of a worthwhile mod to play then what is? it's basically vanilla but rebalanced so the game's not a walk in the park

I'm all for an interesting content overhaul, but why do you people ignore the ultra-prospertardo script re-do? Who the fuck wants this shit in their FF experience: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/rockpapershotgun-ff-order-is-retarded.120665/page-2#post-5520119

after being heavily turned off by BNW's retarded writing I just went with EvilType and had no reason to look back.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Also lul at removing magic pot from the game, I remember abusing the shit out of that enemy + the W-Item glitch to max out all my characters with Master Materia, Master Summons, etc

I was about 13 at the time so I thought it was the coolest thing ever

Ash

Arcane
Ash woah that mod looks hardcore.

Is it though? FF has always been easy, even the more harder ones in the series (5 and prior). FF7 hardtype just makes it like your average hard 90s game AKA what should be the gold standard imo. Not to mention emulators feature unrestricted saving which can strongly offset most difficulty increases if abused.

For a below-average newbie, the mods may be a bit much, but I strongly recommend

EvilType - FF6
Hardtype - FF7
Requiem - FF8
FF9 Unleashed - FF9

as absolute must-haves for any that have played the games before. FF5 I am still trying to find the best mod setup. Even attempted to create my own custom build but the end result is not good enough without further work and possible hex editing.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I remember beating the final boss in FFV before it even got a hit in.

Hardest final story boss for me was in FFIV.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
I remember beating the final boss in FFV before it even got a hit in.

Hardest final story boss for me was in FFIV.
Really? You just have to keep Rosa spamming Curaja and have enough HP so she doesn't die to Big Bang + random Bio/Flare or whatever spell he throws inbetween.

Ash

Arcane
Also lul at removing magic pot from the game, I remember abusing the shit out of that enemy + the W-Item glitch to max out all my characters with Master Materia, Master Summons, etc

Magic pot removal is a tough one. Very few things about the mod I questioned, but this was one of them. I am not sure if this change is good or bad. Ultimately it probably just encourages grinding the next-most rewarding enemies (Northern Cavern Dragon x2) and is therefore a bad change, but I'd have to hear the author's take as he could have a superior argument. By this point it was at the end of the game and had a ton of fun with the mod so I wasn't too bothered. To grind at a similar rate to magic pots I just spammed emulator fast forward + save states and ground up dark dragons into reptile mince. A little grinding is needed for some end game content (e.g master level materia as you say).

Last edited:

mogwaimon

Magister

I'm all for an interesting content overhaul, but why do you people ignore the ultra-prospertardo script re-do? Who the fuck wants this shit in their FF experience: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/rockpapershotgun-ff-order-is-retarded.120665/page-2#post-5520119

after being heavily turned off by BNW's retarded writing I just went with EvilType and had no reason to look back.

you do know that BNW has a vanilla script patch option? Maybe I don't remember half this shit because I played a number of versions ago but I'm pretty sure if I had the choice I would have gone with the vanilla script. Even then, while those lines aren't exactly ideal, it's not like the Woolsey version is much more faithful to the original translation either. Still, to each their own

Yosharian

Arcane

Magic pot removal is a tough one. Very few things about the mod I questioned, but this was one of them. I am not sure if this change is good or bad. Ultimately it probably just encourages grinding the next-most rewarding enemies (Northern Cavern Dragon x2) and is therefore a bad change, but I'd have to hear the author's take as he could have a superior argument. By this point it was at the end of the game and had a ton of fun with the mod so I wasn't too bothered. To grind at a similar rate to magic pots I just spammed emulator fast forward + save states and ground up dark dragons into reptile mince. A little grinding is needed for some end game content (e.g master level materia as you say).
Yeahhhhh honestly with access to a fast forward state, it might be the case that Magic Pot + W-Item abuse isn't even the fastest way to level up, so I dunno.

Ash

Arcane
^Emulators introduce their own form of decline sadly, though it's way offset by all the incline obviously.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom