Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final fantasy XIV any good?

Vyvian

Educated
Yes Kate is going to be a problem for this game, she already has become a major one with Dawntrail considering it's her first time truly in charge without Koji's oversight.

She successfully pulled off another chameleon trick, laying relatively low for years until she finally got the big seat and Dawntrail is what she has to show the world.

Not even just her aversion to offending anyone, a lot of the "soul" Koji brought to localization is just gone. Funny or interesting item descriptions? Gone. Off-color jokes that border on lewd? Gone. That's just off the top of my head. It's dry and inoffensive, it has no teeth.
Even when they talk about thousands of dead babies it just feels Disneyfied.

Tyrr

Liturgist
nTFKuZn.jpeg

uTt0Y0O.jpg

New treasure map dungeon came out today. Spent a couple hours farming them. Unfortunately it went back to the usual formula of eviscerating some nonthreatening trash mobs in seconds. Never saw a challenging boss appear. Not sure if I will do more of these. Wish the devs had continued down the route of the previous Elpis treasure map dungeons where you fight more challenging bosses. Never died to them, but they were more engaging and was fun doing them for a couple hours day after day. Watching cool boss monsters get summoned is also more interesting than watching if a door will open so you can get on a flightpath to a copypaste of the arena you were just on.

9ahLrFd.jpeg

LKMUOx4.jpeg

DyqK4Dc.jpeg

damager

Arbiter
Well I had to roll a cute foxgirl because I really couldn't handle the metrosexuality of all the male characters

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I will admit I was in the game yesterday and I ported to the main city to stock up on some shit and saw two female characters standing there, both wearing miniskirts just like that. I expertly (and inconspicuously) adjusted my game camera to get some tasty upskirt perv shots.

Won't be posting, though. Could get banned.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I will admit I was in the game yesterday and I ported to the main city to stock up on some shit and saw two female characters standing there, both wearing miniskirts just like that. I expertly (and inconspicuously) adjusted my game camera to get some tasty upskirt perv shots.

I swear every second catgirl in the game is wearing the 2b butt enhancing thong and a hempen camise.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Speaking as someone who played the game from A Realm Reborn to Endwalker and who has since turned my back on the game alongside pretty much all of my friends? I would not recommend it these days.

I stand firmly behind the idea that the game was something special. It wasn't perfect by any stretch but it made an earnest effort to be something interesting whilst also serving as a love letter to the earlier entries in the franchise.

A growing number of players within the community are utterly insane. I don't say that lightly - but they're prone to unhinged purity spirals over other players liking or disliking the 'wrong' characters.

This is unfortunately a viewpoint shared by the equally nutty English localisation lead, who has basically hijacked the setting to be her own personal playpen shifting from a cool fantasy setting with grit to a low stakes adventure with obnoxious preachy characters, broken aesops and near constant lectures aimed at the player.

Here's some samples of her X (formerly Twitter) posts to showcase her idealogy:

https://imgur.com/a/d7WoRQc

Like many in the industry, she's terrible at localisation. Often making deliberate mistakes and needless changes to context. Some excellent examples of the consequences of that can be found throughout the following thread, for those curious:

https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv...f-English-localization-issues-is-unacceptable
This for sure. I was trying to find alternative subs for the jap audio since we still get the localization subs and I notice the many changes they made.

Renfri

Cipher

I swear every second catgirl in the game is wearing the 2b butt enhancing thong and a hempen camise.
That's false. Half of them are bunnygirls.

Vyvian

Educated

I can forgive the 2b butt thong because without it (or mods) everyone has almost concave asses. It doesn't even look that good but if you want any shape at all it's a requirement.
You also get a similar effect from the Viera female racial bottoms but that's much more limited in access.

Speaking of Viera I absolutely hate what the community has turned them into and how it has warped the perception of them.
The women were bitchy warriors that scoffed at the outside world and the men were supposed to be forest dwelling hardcore fighters and murderhobos.
Now they are bimbos, futas and the men are twinks. Shameful.

Thalstarion

Novice
Hah. It's now basically against the rules to criticise Wuk Lamat to any significant degree or Sena Bryer (the English VA for the character) over on the FFXIV sub-reddit. Any criticism of Square Enix's embracing of DEI ideology is also now against the rules. Not surprising given how terribly run the place has been over the years but it's funny to see them attempt damage control.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1ei46br/regarding_a_certain_main_character_in_dawntrail/

The idea that minorities cannot be criticised for poor performances is really tiresome and Wuk Lamat has received very mixed reactions across all game regions, so the voice acting is only part of the problem in the first place.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Hah. It's now basically against the rules to criticise Wuk Lamat to any significant degree or Sena Bryer (the English VA for the character) over on the FFXIV sub-reddit. Any criticism of Square Enix's embracing of DEI ideology is also now against the rules. Not surprising given how terribly run the place has been over the years but it's funny to see them attempt damage control.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1ei46br/regarding_a_certain_main_character_in_dawntrail/

The idea that minorities cannot be criticised for poor performances is really tiresome and Wuk Lamat has received very mixed reactions across all game regions, so the voice acting is only part of the problem in the first place.
the mod team are in agreement to start removing messages that are just plain offensive and toxic even if the character subject in question is fictional

:nocountryforshitposters:

Thalstarion

Novice
The circus show continues. According to Wuk Lamat's VA if you do not like a specific song in the game then the insinuation is that you are a racist and a bigot:

u1L7vhN.png

Vyvian

Educated
They can't get rid of this fucking blight in Sena soon enough.
They should have never went back to American VAs because this is the bullshit you get with them. Constantly antagonizing a community they claim to want to be accepted by and farming drama on social media.

What even is their issue? Nobody has ever accused the FFXIV community of being racist, bigoted or -phobic, it has one of the more accepting communities in online games almost to a fault.

Churrasco

Augur
Patron
Wasteland 2
Activist and a tranny, self hatred is so strong he has to project it onto others, but Sena is just the tip of the iceberg, I think Kate, the english lead localizer and lore consultant, is a even bigger part of the problem, how much did she help on the story I wonder, is she the reason Cid is nowhere to be seen?, and probably was the one that hired Sena.

Thalstarion

Novice
Typically Gay men or fujoshits.
There's some who does it for trolling but they're probably a minority.
The latter, yes. The former, not so much. Genuine gay men want to play as and look at conventionally attractive, decently well-built male characters.

For years a number of gay men posted on the official forum politely asking for more masculine customisation options in the form of gear, hairstyles and the ability to play as a Highlander with actual eyebrows and facial features closer to the likes of Snow, Gladio and Jecht.

They were viciously attacked for the suggestion, largely by the fujoshi and autogynephiles.

The game was unfortunately hijacked by trans activists years back and no sane feedback relating to the actual game will be translated and given to Yoshi-P by the compromised localisation team. You can find quite a few of them on social media and they are all as volatile and unhinged as Sena and Kate.

Most content creators are too scared to speak out against such individuals and will likely be stripped of invites to 'exclusive events' courtesy of Square Enix so the game will continue to double down on divisive nonsense.

Tyrr

Liturgist
DT has reached 40% on Steam.
One of ff16's main selling points is the story. Releasing this shit after the very mediocre Zero storyline is such a disaster for the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom