Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final fantasy XIV any good?

I was expecting that this was going to be The Road to El Dorado + the heir to the throne tournament arc from Suikoden 5. But now it looks like a Gintama alien invasion story.

Very strange seeing this colorful futuristic sci fi stuff in FF14. It's way out there beyond Allag or the reused FF13 models. The soldiers here look like those bad guys from Pokemon Ultra Sun.

coPVsuq.png

The new mount. You won't be able to ride that cool huge bird shown in the key art?

bRFZDD0.jpeg

Vyvian

Educated
FYI: You are not allowed to critique the English voice actor for Wuk Lamat for sounding like a total amateur with zero range or you're a transphobe.
Why SE would hire this person for such a key role in an expansion is beyond me especially surrounded by a cast of actual British Theater Actors completely mogging them in every interaction. Actually no it isn't.
Just a warning!

Churrasco

Augur
Patron
Wasteland 2
I don't like most of the english voice cast, they always sound off compared to the japanese, and if you know a little, you can see how the localizers changed the characters/story...I'm concerned they will also go full woke, with things like focusing on Tuliyollal being a diverse city, I think a lot of the past cities are diverse, they don't mention it, you can see for yourself

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
FYI: You are not allowed to critique the English voice actor for Wuk Lamat for sounding like a total amateur with zero range or you're a transphobe.
Why SE would hire this person for such a key role in an expansion is beyond me especially surrounded by a cast of actual British Theater Actors completely mogging them in every interaction. Actually no it isn't.
Just a warning!
Probably a nepotism hire.
Wouldn't surprise me if the current load localiser was involved.

JP Voice chads stay winning.
Though I wish Koji Fox didn't start this faux Shakespearen nonsense.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Pssst...

Don't tell anyone here, but I recently actually started playing this game and... well... I sort of like it.

I remember installing it and trying it years ago and instantly hated it. But a customer brought in her gaming unit to me for a GPU upgrade for this Dawntrail update and that prompted me to run the Square-Enix benchmark for it. It ran well with her new GPU but naturally I got curious and wanted to see how well the benchmark would run on my personal system at home so I tried it and was sort of impressed.

I normally HATE Japanese games, and I have to go into self-defense mode when running through the center of the city from all the bunny ears and chokobos and whatnot you see there, but as a traditional, TAB targeting, run-of-the-mill MMO, FF XIV is rather impressive in terms of its stability, quality control, and friendliness to solo play. I've made it to level 32 so far as a Marauder/Warrior and I might keep playing at least until the free trial kicks me out.

Now remember, I said don't tell anyone!

Kruyurk

Learned
But a customer brought in her gaming unit to me for a GPU upgrade for this Dawntrail update and that prompted me to run the Square-Enix benchmark for it.
Why solo in a MMO? Propose to madame gaming unit to play together. I am sure she was able to change her GPU by herself, her real agenda was to become queen.

Now remember, I said don't tell anyone!
I won't.

Vyvian

Educated
They did a lot to encourage less reliance on other people since the story and characters are a huge focus of this game. The NPC party members are a relatively new addition to all the base game story dungeons that a lot of people like.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I made some predictions on the previous page, and I was curious to see how they panned out...

1. Everything new, including the healers' incredibly much needed injections of Dopamine Per Second are exclusive to levels 91+
Somewhat correct, but Eukrasian Dyskrasia is available at 82, and the WHM dash is available at 40 to mirror SGE's Icarus.
2. SGE's DoT AoE is their regular DoT applied at inflated cost, and likely a shorter duration.
While not the case during the media tour, they have made the release revision of the AoE DOT mutually exclusive with the single target DOT.
It's 40 potency (vs 75), but at the same mana cost and duration (lmao).

So yeah, they can't stack, and I guess mana management isn't a thing in the game anymore either.
No fun allowed I guess,
Another expansion of all healers doomed to 2-1-1-1-1-1 ad nauseam, and now you can do it in your trash packs too!
3. number of AST's cards are increased progressively, likely 1 card at 30, then 2 at 52, 3 at 62.
Completely off base.
You get all 3 main cards at level 30, then the Arcana at 70.
However they have completely removed all RNG, giving you deterministic and alternating draw skills: Astral Draw, and Umbral Draw.

I have no idea who they're designing these jobs for...
I feel like it's for "casuals" afflicted with parser brain rot that want everything removed that might interfere with them obtaining their perfect 99 parses...

Tyrr

Liturgist
Just started the new expansion. During the first quest we learn that
the black bunny never saw his father

Lets see if the writing stays that based.

I bit the Viper pill. Very nice animations. It's a little confusing at first with the four, three-button combos thing, but then you realize you just alternate between two buttons, press whichever proc is glowing, and then attack from behind the mob when pressing a red button or from the side when pressing a green button. That's it.

This expansion did not introduce a new healer job, so everyone is playing the two new DPS jobs. A levelling dungeon queue as a DPS is now an hour+ long. I am seeing Vipers in party finder offering to pay 1 million gil per dungeon run to each tank and healer. Your best bet to level right now is to zerg FATEs in Endwalker zones. It's not very fun as there is no challenge, the action onscreen is incomprehensible, and you don't feel the impact of your contribution. One FATE gives you around 1/20th of a level, and it takes at least 2 minutes to do a FATE including travel time, so about 30 per level. Multiply that by the ten levels required to go from 80 to 90 to start the next expansion and you're looking at about 3 hours of tedious FATE farming before you can start the new expansion content. Currently taking a break right now.

On the other hand, people are farming Endwalker FATEs en masse again, so this probably your last chance to get any Endwalker music rolls for your house if you want them, given that you have to do 66 FATEs in a zone to be able to unlock the music roll for purchase. I'll probably do Labyrinthos and Elpis for the music rolls.

Yosharian

Arcane
I would like to play this more (dabbled a bit with the free trial) but fuck paying monthly fees to play a videogame jesus christ

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Can't you just start a new character using the free trial? You get access to the new graphical update (but not the new content) and you can still level up to 60, I think.

Yosharian

Arcane
Can't you just start a new character using the free trial? You get access to the new graphical update (but not the new content) and you can still level up to 60, I think.
I guess but then if I like it and want to play more, I have to become Squenix's bitch? The payment model sucks

shrekkie

Novice
I've personally had a lot of fun on Pictomancer, it reminds me a lot of summoner as far as having a couple of things you paint and then those unlocking more abilities that can be used a few times. I also really like that they've got something sorta like monk where if you're out of combat you can prep all your paintings with instant casts, which has been great in dungeons and fate grinding.

Their ogcd windows are a bit tight though and I haven't worked on getting their opener/burst combo right as I don't think I've unlocked all the moves I need yet.

The new expansion city, Tuliyollal, is better than the last two. I preferred the aesthetics of the Crystarium with the red brick, elegant metalwork, stained glass, etc, but the spaces were huge and the game didn't populate them with enough NPCs, so you felt like an ant slowly running across these oversized empty courtyards which I do not think was the intended experience. Even in the story cutscenes where you had crowds of NPCs, there were nowhere near enough to fill up the spaces. Sharlayan is boring grey mush. Turalyoli does not look like boring grey mush and does not have the conspicuous design issues that the Crystarium had.

That being said, the city feels more like a vacation spot in Hawaii than the capital of a continent spanning empire. It pales in comparison to the promotional art and Dazar'alor from WoW.

Dazar'Alor from World of Warcraft.

I like the big band jazz music for the new capital city, but it feels weird for a distinctly USA genre to be used for a South American/Pacific island tribal themed location, rather than a more modern urban environment like Garlemald. Maybe I will AFK here this expansion instead of at Kugane or my house.

The story is about sailing to the empire in the New World and participating in its succession tournament. There are four candidates, and you back the lion princess. To win, you have to perform seven feats and then find the lost Golden City, which I suspect will turn out to be that futuristic sci fi city that has been shown off in the pre-release marketing and the patch notes. I don't think we will find a classic El Dorado. The first hour or two was boring fluff conversations, but once you reach the palace and the competition begins, the story becomes much more engaging.

I do have complaints about Wuk Lamat, the claimant I am supposed to be aiding. The game railroaded my character into supporting some random girl I don't know about in a succession competition. Given how benevolent the Warrior of Light is supposed to be, you would think he would first travel to the New World and meet the other claimants first before deciding who to aid? And now that I have spent a few hours with her, I want to switch claimants. She is incompetent. Erenville is the one who has to do everything for her. Plan how to achieve the overarching goal, instruct her how to accomplish the task right in front of her. Stop her from wasting her money buying clothes she doesn't need. Teach her economics 101. Etc. Given how fragile this 80 year old, multiracial empire is, I anticpate Tural would collapse under her. I wish I was aiding Koana, who seems to be good and competent.

Another thing too, is that I am really trying to like Wuk Lamat. She is the main character of the expansion, after all. She looks a lot prettier with her hair now, and she sounds cute in Japanese too. Unfortunately, I am playing with the English dub (because it was an unusually good dub)... and her English voice actor is a man. She has a lot of funny scenes, but whenever I hear her dub voice, it makes her unlikeable and I want to skip dialogue. It really brings down the experience. I am baffled as to why Square Enix thought to do this. The voice actor isn't even British like all of the other FF14 VAs.

I like the second zone. From the zone previews, it looked like yet another boring mundane map and was hoping to skip past it and get to the cooler fantastical zones ASAP, but now that I am running around inside it, it's pretty nice. The map is an incline and is surrounded by rocks and drops into the abyss, so it feels mountainous.

It would be nice if Tural's lore was reflected in gameplay. I am playing the new Viper job, which was created in Tural to specifically counter the Vidraal, a special type of monster native to Tural. However, you do not gain any actual mechanical advantage when facing off against the Tural Vidraal, like how the Onymyoji job in Granblue Fantasy specializes in cancelling the Omen mechanic in certain fights, or how Paladin in WoW is strong against undead and demons. The Pelupelu are a notorious merchant clan in Tural who are insistant at parting people with their money, but that doesn't happen to you in gameplay like with Lyle the salesman in Animal Crossing who chases you until you buy from him.

Erenville said that there was a strong storm that has eroded the treacherous, steep mountain roads and made them slippery, and that you can't use a mount in such rugged terrain. You travel to the third zone on a boat floating down the river, but it happens in a 15 minute scripted dungeon you do once. Contrast that with FF11 which had the adventure element represented in open world gameplay. In that game's New World expansion, you could interact with the environment to make it traversible, such as smashing tree stumps or stalagmite blocking your path, climbing cliffs, etc.

Traversing Ulbulka in FF11

They keep making a big deal about how difficult Tural is to traverse on foot, and how hot balloons are finnicky... but this is a fantasy world with countless large, flying creatures. Surely they would have been tamed and bred as flying mounts? If Hien, the prince of the small and impoverished kingdom of Doma could secure flying mounts for us, and was able to fly his small army half way across the world to show up for the war in Gyr Abania, then surely the princes of this rich, continent spanning empire would have access to them?

I am a little peeved by how unoriginal the night themes for the zones are. It is yet more grand piano arranges. 10 years of FF14 zones, and there is a lot of variety in the day themes, but almost all of the night themes are grand piano arranges. It feels like the music team's cheap go-to. Contrast that with WoW's night themes which are much more varied and isn't >80% piano arranges.

I like the regular battle theme. It isn't ear grating like ShB's theme, nor noisy, simplistic, and repetitive like EW's battle theme.

Caim

Arcane
I do have complaints about Wuk Lamat, the claimant I am supposed to be aiding. The game railroaded my character into supporting some random girl I don't know about in a succession competition. Given how benevolent the Warrior of Light is supposed to be, you would think he would first travel to the New World and meet the other claimants first before deciding who to aid? And now that I have spent a few hours with her, I want to switch claimants. She is incompetent. Erenville is the one who has to do everything for her. Plan how to achieve the overarching goal, instruct her how to accomplish the task right in front of her. Stop her from wasting her money buying clothes she doesn't need. Teach her economics 101. Etc. Given how fragile this 80 year old, multiracial empire is, I anticpate Tural would collapse under her. I wish I was aiding Koana, who seems to be good and competent.
Can't say that I ever heard of a game where you put someone on the throne and in short order have the realm collapse not through the machinations of underlings or external threats, but just because the monarch is an incompetent piece of work.

Yuber

Educated
From what I heard I have to skip this Expansion. Maybe next one is for me again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom