Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yosharian

Arcane
Yeah comparing box art is totally a good way to analyse videogames, good job

Duraframe300

Arcane
Played a few hours, then went to sleep and played another 1 1/2 today. Taking it slow. Really liking it, especially narrative and characters, though its my jam as expected.

So, how combat system?

Not the person to ask for anything in depth, but I'm having fun. You do have to like the kind of combat system it offers. I do wish they made the enemies just a bit more aggressive on first playthrough. Would go a long way.

Jinn

Arcane
Not the person to ask for anything in depth, but I'm having fun. You do have to like the kind of combat system it offers. I do wish they made the enemies just a bit more aggressive on first playthrough. Would go a long way.

Sounds like locking the hardest difficulty behind a full playthrough was a terrible idea, as expected. Really backfired on them in the general evaluation of the game across the internet. They neutered their own combat needlessly. Hope they do something to amend it by the time the PC versions released, or I'll have to get a cleared save file or something so I can play the damn thing the way it sounds like it was meant to be played.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Sounds like locking the hardest difficulty behind a full playthrough was a terrible idea, as expected. Really backfired on them in the general evaluation of the game across the internet. They neutered their own combat needlessly. Hope they do something to amend it by the time the PC versions released, or I'll have to get a cleared save file or something so I can play the damn thing the way it sounds like it was meant to be played.
They don't have to go that far. Apart from making enemies apparently quite a bit more aggressive, NG+ also remixes enemy groups and starts you with all Eikons.

I actually don't mind using the first playthrough as a learning curve from a design perspective. Acquire abilities slowly, acquire eikon powers, learn them, basically build your skill and your build throughout the game. At some point while polishing they did dial back just a bit too much. It sounds like there's challenge in the later game and especially the hunts, but it could have been quite a bit more in a very reasonable manner.

Last edited:

Anonona

Learned

That is literally how almost every Hack n' Slash does it, from DMC to Bayonetta. You start at normal, which serves as an introduction and tutorial and then once you beat the game and unlock all weapons attacks and mechanics you start at the next difficulty level. This allows not only for the player to learn the games, but also the developers can adjust the higher difficulties with all the mechanics in mind and focusing on creating new encounters mixing enemies types and adding new attacks and mechanics, without paying mind to how coherent it is for the plot. It isn't a bad way of introducing difficulty options inherently, as the changes also add a bit of replayability (Ninja Gaiden did it best by going as far as introducing brand new enemies types each new difficulty level).

Now the problem may be that normal difficulty is just too easy, which is extra worrying considering that it is an ARPG, so there is always the risk of finding cheese builds and strats, even if the RP elements are light (just look at games like KH).

Yosharian

Arcane
That is literally how almost every Hack n' Slash does it, from DMC to Bayonetta.
That doesn't mean it's a smart way to do it. Advanced players are unable to play on a difficulty which challenges them till they've waded through the lower difficulties. And what about people who've already played the game but have moved to a new platform, or for whatever reason just don't have the save game to unlock the higher difficulty?

It's dumb.

At least have a secret unlock combination like Bioshock Infinite for example.

Elthosian

Arcane
That is literally how almost every Hack n' Slash does it, from DMC to Bayonetta.
That doesn't mean it's a smart way to do it. Advanced players are unable to play on a difficulty which challenges them till they've waded through the lower difficulties. And what about people who've already played the game but have moved to a new platform, or for whatever reason just don't have the save game to unlock the higher difficulty?

It's dumb.

That's not to mention how many hack n' slash games are like 10 hours in length while this is a 30-40 hour time investment. Sure, you can skip the cutscenes and bring down the time during the second run but it's still a pretty different scenario.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Played a few hours, then went to sleep and played another 1 1/2 today. Taking it slow. Really liking it, especially narrative and characters, though its my jam as expected.

So, how combat system?

But it goes like in last game? Or they revamped that?

Doktor Best

Arcane

So, how combat system?

You mean FF7Remake? This one is completely different as you dont control a party and you have no rtwp commands.

Its basically an action rpg now. Very similar combat to dmc.

quixotic

Learned
I might play this when the inevitable PC port happens. It’s the only FF that’s grabbed my attention since X.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

This makes no sense, the best and most acclaimed action games in history are this way (Ninja Gaiden, DMC, MGR, Bayonetta...) They expect you to train the mechanics in lower difficulties before asking you to master them in highest difficulties like Master Ninja.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

It's dumb.

Nobody is advanced if new to a game. You can be a good DMC player and some skills transfer to Ninja Gaiden, but you are not gonna beat Master Ninja straight away.

I agree about a secret unlock code though.

Yosharian

Arcane
You can be a good DMC player and some skills transfer to Ninja Gaiden, but you are not gonna beat Master Ninja straight away.
We aren't talking about Ninja Gaiden, we are talking about FF16. As has been clearly established, this isn't a game where DMC/NG veterans are going to come in as new players and be unable to cope with the highest difficulty.

Someone has literally already stated that they are finding the second most difficult .. erm .. difficulty, too easy, and they can't select the hardest one yet because it's gated behind completing the game.

In your mind this is fine because other games which aren't FF16 are balanced that way? You are using Ninja Gaiden specifically because it is a ridiculously hard game, what applies to that game doesn't necessarily apply to other games. I can't even with these stupid discussions sometimes

Jinn

Arcane
Guys, I'm well aware of how character action games work, but this is a possible 60 hour playthrough and an action RPG to boot. This isn't a 10-15 hour romp that begs for an immediate replay. All they had to do is add a fair challenge for those who wanted it for their first playthrough instead of treating the players like children who need training wheels.

Yosharian

Arcane
Guys, I'm well aware of how character action games work, but this is a possible 60 hour playthrough and an action RPG to boot. This isn't a 10-15 hour romp that begs for an immediate replay. All they had to do is add a fair challenge for those who wanted it for their first playthrough instead of treating the players like children who need training wheels.
BUT NINJA GAIDEN

La vie sexuelle

Learned

So, how combat system?

You mean FF7Remake? This one is completely different as you dont control a party and you have no rtwp commands.

No, I mean last entry in main series, FFXV. Both games look the same (at last on recordings).

Duraframe300

Arcane
I think you misunderstood me. Edit: Of course, re-reading maybe I misunderstood you, if so sorry Jinn

The reason I said that I don't think it's a good idea to just paste New Game + in, is because New Game+ assumes you are at Level 45+ (There's a level cap of 50 on first playthrough, 100 on second.) and have already made a decent dent in maxing out your character and gives you story critical abilites among else.

It's very much a New Game+ mode. I don't think jacking up your level and removing a large portion of character advancement is that fun for experiencing the game. I understand the structure and idea they were going for, that's not the problem, them scaling too much back/there being too much of a difference is the problem.

It's why I suggested for example increasing the enemy aggression somewhat (be it in normal game or a new difficulty) is already a good step in the right direction, would immediately cut down on evasion time and make enemy groups more dangerous. Hopefully they do add something like that via patches.

I of course also can't judge the whole game yet, my comment is about early game.

Last edited:

Anonona

Learned
A reason of why the may had locked the hard mode to NG+ is probably because of the remixed enemies and the fact that it is an ARPG. I seem to recall an example given in an interview or something, will have to look for it, but in the forest level instead of wolfs at level 20 or so it will be filled by raptors at level 40. So in this instance the harder difficulty may be designed around the player having all their skills and already at a decent level.

The real issue is that the difficulties may not be balanced well enough and the hardest default difficulty is too easy or that earlier enemies have shittier AI's compared to later ones. For example, in DMC 3 compare Prides, which are practically punching bags, to Abyss at endgame, which are a legitimate threath.

Elthosian

Arcane
A reason of why the may had locked the hard mode to NG+ is probably because of the remixed enemies and the fact that it is an ARPG. I seem to recall an example given in an interview or something, will have to look for it, but in the forest level instead of wolfs at level 20 or so it will be filled by raptors at level 40. So in this instance the harder difficulty may be designed around the player having all their skills and already at a decent level.

The real issue is that the difficulties may not be balanced well enough and the hardest default difficulty is too easy or that earlier enemies have shittier AI's compared to later ones. For example, in DMC 3 compare Prides, which are practically punching bags, to Abyss at endgame, which are a legitimate threath.

Certainly, at this point making the hardest difficulty available from the get-go doesn't make sense because they designed it as a NG+ kinda thing, but it would have been much better if it was designed so you could choose it from the get-go and it was balanced around the expected first playthrough progression. That kinda makes it even worse as it makes it much less likely for them to unlock it via patch as Nintendo did with the hardest setting in FE Three Houses.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I watched some videos and the story seems amazing. I would prefer if had a character creation but this game made me who only liked "western style jrpg's" to wanna to at least watch a full walkthrough.

I just din't understood. What are the Eikons? If is up to me to speculate, I would say that they are akin to primal elementals in Baldur's Gate. Also din't understood exactly how magic works. Like seems like anyone with a spirit bless can use in a part and in another, the guys in ruins could't use. I'm interested in learning more about this fictional world.

Duraframe300

Arcane

So, how combat system?

So, how combat system?

XVI is faster, snappier, feels much better. There's also a clear indication that you can get better at it which I never got with XV (higher skill ceiling) and mechanics don't feel as useless. IMO, resident codex action players can give much better judgement whenever they'll play than me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom