Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jinn

Arcane
I think you misunderstood me. Edit: Of course, re-reading maybe I misunderstood you, if so sorry @Jinn

Oh no, I really wasn't referring to your post there. I completely understand what you meant. I was addressing the "it's just like any other character action game" sentiment from others - because while the combat takes inspiration from that realm, it simply isn't the same. My hope is they'll take the widespread criticism about the difficulty to heart and add another difficulty level a step up for NG. The combat looks fantastic and it would sadden me a great deal if it was squandered by being fairly brainless as is. So I'm saying that I'm hopeful this issue will be addressed by the time it comes to PC, and hopefully sooner for the console players.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I watched some videos and the story seems amazing. I would prefer if had a character creation but this game made me who only liked "western style jrpg's" to wanna to at least watch a full walkthrough.

I just din't understood. What are the Eikons? If is up to me to speculate, I would say that they are akin to primal elementals in Baldur's Gate. Also din't understood exactly how magic works. Like seems like anyone with a spirit bless can use in a part and in another, the guys in ruins could't use. I'm interested in learning more about this fictional world.

Putting this in spoilers, but feel free to read it. Just about the setting.

Magic is based on aether, a natural occurring element? that's all around you. The people in the ruins couldn't use magic because they were situated in the deadlands: Large stretches of land that have been affected by something called the *Blight* that basically ripped away all the aether. No aether, no magic.

There's also three ways you can use magic

1. You have a piece of crystal from a mother-crystal. This can channel the aether in the air, though its use is limited.
2. You were born a bearer (Magic User)
3. You got the blessing of a dominant.

Since society runs on magic, people that are number 2 (and sometimes 3 as Clive was) are shit out of luck. They get enslaved as soon as they are found to keep society running. Someone has to do menial magic tasks and 1 is a limited resource after all.

Hopefully I didn't get anything wrong.

BTW: It's a *little* thing, but man does the game boot you fast into the main menu. No logos, no long animations, just straight into it.
Hopefully that's a thing on PC as well.

Anonona

Learned
Anybody playing the game could tell me if you can disable damage numbers?

Gerrard

Arcane
The combat is 100% like Nier Automata: filled with superficial flashy shit that serves no purpose and incredibly shallow upon closer inspection.
Also items with attributes like "2,7% reduced cooldown".

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Played a few hours, then went to sleep and played another 1 1/2 today. Taking it slow. Really liking it, especially narrative and characters, though its my jam as expected.

So, how combat system?

Not the person to ask for anything in depth, but I'm having fun. You do have to like the kind of combat system it offers. I do wish they made the enemies just a bit more aggressive on first playthrough. Would go a long way.
But it goes like in last game? Or they revamped that?

You mean FF7Remake? This one is completely different as you dont control a party and you have no rtwp commands.

Its basically an action rpg now. Very similar combat to dmc.

So, how combat system?

Not the person to ask for anything in depth, but I'm having fun. You do have to like the kind of combat system it offers. I do wish they made the enemies just a bit more aggressive on first playthrough. Would go a long way.
But it goes like in last game? Or they revamped that?

XVI is faster, snappier, feels much better. There's also a clear indication that you can get better at it which I never got with XV (higher skill ceiling) and mechanics don't feel as useless. IMO, resident codex action players can give much better judgement whenever they'll play than me.

Fells like very quick Dark Souls. There are summons?

grimace

Arcane
I only want one thing spoiled:
Screenshots of the hot female designed to sell this fantasy game.

I got this and although it's very easy and popamole, and runs like shit, the fact that it has no stronk black womblyn lecturing me endlessly from the off is already a breath of fresh air.

Music is great, the game seems to take itself seriously and isn't cynical about its setting, characters seem alright so far which is a small miracle, especially in this day and age, and it's been an altogether pleasant few hours. The world reminds me a bit of Ivalice, or even Valeria from Tactics Ogre (political scheming, etc.).

If only there was a proper hard mode for combat. Oh well.

Spike

Educated
I got this and although it's very easy and popamole, and runs like shit, the fact that it has no stronk black womblyn lecturing me endlessly from the off is already a breath of fresh air.

Music is great, the game seems to take itself seriously and isn't cynical about its setting, characters seem alright so far which is a small miracle, especially in this day and age, and it's been an altogether pleasant few hours. The world reminds me a bit of Ivalice, or even Valeria from Tactics Ogre (political scheming, etc.).

If only there was a proper hard mode for combat. Oh well.
There is Final Fantasy mode when you beat the game or whatever.

I'm a huge action fan, excited to get my hands on it when it hits PC.

Machocruz

Arcane
Can you wield any type of main weapon besides a sword? For all the talk of this being like DMC, that's one major feature that seems lacking but maybe they just didn't show it in the preview material

Duraframe300

Arcane
18 hours in and at 35% main story (according to the PS5 main menu). Sounds like I'm lagging behind comparatively, but that's not a surprise. I tend to have more hours.

Game has slowly opened up map wise. Currently in the first a rather large map containing multiple locations/towns. You can go run around and explore its crannies and nooks and fight some as well as look for items (Not that loot is in any way the games strength, but didn't expect it to be. Of course still did it). Died now a few times. First was being careless against Benedikta and the others was due to running out of potions while exploring. I never bothered to keep the supply up by buying so pretty much ran into that head first. You don't really need to either, since if you die you get refilled automatically (Something they should probably rethink if they do another difficulty, possible even a toggle). Not much side content yet (Apparently the bulk of it doesn't start before you got Clive to his 30's), the few (like 6-7) side quests I had were simple and short, but did give some charm and weren't annoying. YMMV.

Still having fun, still personally loving the narrative and the tone. Just got

my dad's clothes and his sword. Considering what happened earlier and right before really had that FFIV Cecil Paladin vibe of moving on and the story beginning to kick into gear. Of course not to the same degree (it's not that drastic and doesn't exactly change you gameplay wise) but it was still a nice moment (for me)

Also LOL

Annabelle actually managed to score herself the emporer. Not even mad, reminds me of prime thot material in folklore tales.

Last edited:

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Watched the Skill Up review and from what I've heard elsewhere it's basically a movie game with easy combat that roughly resembles DMC. Apparently it has 17 hours of cutscenes, which is over twice what MGS4 had. And no meaningful character building or itemization from the sound of it. On the other hand the story seems way more grounded than usual and rather exceptional, although there probably is a lot of downtime and setup that could be cut and condensed.

Duraframe300

Arcane
although there probably is a lot of downtime and setup that could be cut and condensed.
Very much disagree on that. The care put into the game through them add A LOT to the tone, the charachters and the world building. It’s probably my favourite part.

That the game’s narrative would just jump from setpiece to setpiece contrary to the settings tone was my biggest fear actually going into. Was pleasantly surprised.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Watched the Skill Up review and from what I've heard elsewhere it's basically a movie game with easy combat that roughly resembles DMC. Apparently it has 17 hours of cutscenes, which is over twice what MGS4 had. And no meaningful character building or itemization from the sound of it. On the other hand the story seems way more grounded than usual and rather exceptional, although there probably is a lot of downtime and setup that could be cut and condensed.

I refuse to believe any cutscenes can ever be as bad as those in MGS4. Take this eggs scene. If you can make it all the way through to the 5 minute mark without stopping the video you are a bigger man than me.

:prosper:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So after watching Ralph's review it seems compared to FF16 Witcher 3 is an old-school, system-oriented RPG with great chardev and itemization.

Apparently this basically is a movie cut up into long cutscenes interspersed with short runs through half-empty zones full of pinata-type enemies. There's no chardev and no itemization.

"Final Fantasy 16 is not an RPG." - Ralph "SkillUp"

Wtf.

Duraframe300

Arcane
So after watching Ralph's review it seems compared to FF16 Witcher 3 is an old-school, system-oriented RPG with great chardev and itemization.

Wtf.

Yeah, don't go into this expecting deep rpg systems. Kind of obvious.

Last edited:

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Pretty good chance none of those niggers have ever played any FF game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom