Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
So after watching Ralph's review it seems compared to FF16 Witcher 3 is an old-school, system-oriented RPG with great chardev and itemization.

Apparently this basically is a movie cut up into long cutscenes interspersed with short runs through half-empty zones full of pinata-type enemies. There's no chardev and no itemization.

"Final Fantasy 16 is not an RPG." - Ralph "SkillUp"

Wtf.
This sounds fucking terrible.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm guessing what's happening here is people are bedazzled by the quadruple-A presentation and production values but as soon as they come to from their bewitchment they'll notice that this isn't an RPG, that it's a barely a video game.

Machocruz

Arcane
Watched the Skill Up review and from what I've heard elsewhere it's basically a movie game with easy combat that roughly resembles DMC. Apparently it has 17 hours of cutscenes, which is over twice what MGS4 had. And no meaningful character building or itemization from the sound of it. On the other hand the story seems way more grounded than usual and rather exceptional, although there probably is a lot of downtime and setup that could be cut and condensed.
So after watching Ralph's review it seems compared to FF16 Witcher 3 is an old-school, system-oriented RPG with great chardev and itemization.

Apparently this basically is a movie cut up into long cutscenes interspersed with short runs through half-empty zones full of pinata-type enemies. There's no chardev and no itemization.

Wtf.
Just what the plebs ordered. "It's fine. I don't want convoluted stats systems, like in Witcher 3" - actual Reddit post. Putting +1 in anemic skills, much convolution. Not that you expect robust, layered character development (e.g. attributes, skills, feats trifecta) in a FF game, but still.

Gerrard

Arcane
Watching a guy play this, the first time he died in the entire playthrough was a one hit kill ability from one of the last bosses.

Machocruz

Arcane

I...... What?

What exactly did you expect? Did you not read the whole DMC combat thing that was discussed endlessly. The action game charachter progression based on abilities and loadout was also mentioned plenty. All of this information has been clear as day for a while.

Why the fuck did you expect a Final Fantasy that was specifically mentioned to have DMC like combat to have deep RPG elements?

What the fuck am I reading?

:abyssgazer:
For my part, I said you can't expect that kind of thing in these games . But not being able to wield different primary weapons falls short of the character action standard too. Maybe Eikolon abilities make up for it, I was going to ask how you felt about the lack of weapon types?

Duraframe300

Arcane

I...... What?

What exactly did you expect? Did you not read the whole DMC combat thing that was discussed endlessly. The action game charachter progression based on abilities and loadout was also mentioned plenty. All of this information has been clear as day for a while.

Why the fuck did you expect a Final Fantasy that was specifically mentioned to have DMC like combat to have deep RPG elements?

What the fuck am I reading?

:abyssgazer:
For my part, I said you can't expect that kind of thing in these games . But not being able to wield different primary weapons falls short of the character action standard too. Maybe Eikolon abilities make up for it, I was going to ask how you felt about the lack of weapon types?

Still on my first playthough and only have 2 Eikons so far, they seem to, but can't give a definitive answer to that yet. Difficulty on first playthrough is the more obvious thing they fucked up. Can't judge hunts and sidequests yet , but main story certainly (Not that this doesn't apply to most FF's. More irretating here though due to the games nature.)

Sorry, anyway. cvv d1r the notion just surprised me in the moment.

Edit: Another thing that's not ideal, though I've hinted at it before, is that they once again like FF13 (though not as extreme) pushed side content to the back of the game. Gameplay wise this could have been much better paced.

Elttharion

Learned
18 hours in and at 35% main story (according to the PS5 main menu). Sounds like I'm lagging behind comparatively, but that's not a surprise. I tend to have more hours.

Game has slowly opened up map wise. Currently in the first a rather large map containing multiple locations/towns. You can go run around and explore its crannies and nooks and fight some as well as look for items (Not that loot is in any way the games strength, but didn't expect it to be. Of course still did it). Died now a few times. First was being careless against Benedikta and the others was due to running out of potions while exploring. I never bothered to keep the supply up by buying so pretty much ran into that head first. You don't really need to either, since if you die you get refilled automatically (Something they should probably rethink if they do another difficulty, possible even a toggle). Not much side content yet (Apparently the bulk of it doesn't start before you got Clive to his 30's), the few (like 6-7) side quests I had were simple and short, but did give some charm and weren't annoying. YMMV.

Still having fun, still personally loving the narrative and the tone. Just got

my dad's clothes and his sword. Considering what happened earlier and right before really had that FFIV Cecil Paladin vibe of moving on and the story beginning to kick into gear. Of course not to the same degree (it's not that drastic and doesn't exactly change you gameplay wise) but it was still a nice moment (for me)

Also LOL

Annabelle actually managed to score herself the emporer. Not even mad, reminds me of prime thot material in folklore tales.
Sorry if you already answered this, but are you playing it subbed or dubbed? I know English VA is supposed to be the original and people complained about bad lip syncing while playing with japanese audio. Just curious to see how good, or bad, is the voice acting and the dialogue. Thanks

Yosharian

Arcane
There's no itemization/character development? I find that very hard to believe.

I am concerned that it will be very dumbed down though because FF15 was really fucking bad in this regard

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

I am concerned that it will be very dumbed down though because FF15 was really fucking bad in this regard
https://youtu.be/PzfUardkloY?t=1925

Look for yourself. Items basically just give you extremely marginal stat increases. Only form of customization comes from 6 equipable skills, but there isn't anything strategic about them since there are no elemental resists, ailments or particular moves being necessary to beat something.

Derringer

Prophet

I am concerned that it will be very dumbed down though because FF15 was really dicking bad in this regard
https://youtu.be/PzfUardkloY?t=1925

Look for yourself. Items basically just give you extremely marginal stat increases. Only form of customization comes from 6 equipable skills, but there isn't anything strategic about them since there are no elemental resists, ailments or particular moves being necessary to beat something.
The game itself looks like it was styled after the Witcher and a DMC clone, I'm not really sure what the surprise would be with simplified customization regarding the combat given console ARPGs from Square Enix for the past say two decades.

Last edited:

Gamezor

Learned
I started the demo and it seems cool but how brain dead easy is it really?

Sorry if you already answered this, but are you playing it subbed or dubbed? I know English VA is supposed to be the original and people complained about bad lip syncing while playing with japanese audio. Just curious to see how good, or bad, is the voice acting and the dialogue. Thanks
I'm playing in English and the VA is serviceable, everyone kind of reminds me of Basch from FF12. The game takes itself pretty seriously, at least so far. Lip are indeed synced to English so playing with wapanese voices would cause a disconnect there.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm playing in English and the VA is serviceable, everyone kind of reminds me of Basch from FF12. The game takes itself pretty seriously, at least so far. Lip are indeed synced to English so playing with wapanese voices would cause a disconnect there.
I´m surprised that the writing is kind of decent for games standards. Also people comparing to Game Of Thrones missing the point.

It´s not all nihilism, immorality and ugliness like Rape Rape Martin work. Seems more inspired in Shakespeare (well under his level obviously), with darkness, tragedy, but also positive human aspects.

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Also the gameplay is way below Dragon's Dogma level. It´s responsive and serviceable, but too easy and lacks some interesting interactions, variety, status ailments present in DD. Which makes me even more hyped for DD2, and should make us value more the masterpiece DD is. Miss that open world ARPG goodness.

It lacks a lot of things that we would expect from a RPG, that even FFXV had.

Overall a decent game, with impressive presentation and good taste in aesthetics,music and story (rare nowadays), that lacks challenge and RPG mechanics.

Falksi

Arcane
I've not touched it, but a couple of mates who are around 20 hours in each both say that the combat is a joke when it comes to challenge. Neither has died once.

That's just pathetic gaming, especially for an action-based game.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've not touched it, but a couple of mates who are around 20 hours in each both say that the combat is a joke when it comes to challenge. Neither has died once.

That's just pathetic gaming, especially for an action-based game.
Yes. You have to be very sloppy to die. Combat is not bad but lacks enough punishment for mistakes or not learning the enemy patterns.

Sentinel

Arcane

Wtf.
Sounds like another piece of shit like FF14 then.

Stokowski

Arcane
I refuse to believe any cutscenes can ever be as bad as those in MGS4. Take this eggs scene. If you can make it all the way through to the 5 minute mark without stopping the video you are a bigger man than me.

:prosper:

I didn't stop the video but I did go and have a shit while it played.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Overall a decent game, with impressive presentation and good taste in aesthetics,music and story (rare nowadays), that lacks challenge and RPG mechanics.

Very much where I'm at. Think Maehiro, Minagawa and Soken all did a great job, would certainly play another single player game by them again and they are what make me really like XVI. Ryota is kind of a mystery, because I can't really judge in which parameters he had to work in. Combat feels snappy and smooth and playing it I like especially the more I unlock, but I don't know how much say he had in difficulty and expansiveness.

Which brings me to Takai, the one I'm really disappointed by. As an ex-SAGA guy, even IF ITS NOT CLASSIC MECHANICS, you expect to lay a focus on gameplay systems. Instead the narrative department arguably did more with the ATL system (Which probably was a nightmare to hook up), the NPC's in the hideout and so on. Could have been anybody really.

Can't tell how much of that was Yoshi-P executive meddling, but he's the one guy I've always been sceptical about.

That said, its pretty much all what I expected it to be as more pre-release information came out, so didn't go in with other expectations and thus still very much enjoying it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom