Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM Firaxis - XCOM: Enemy Unknown + Enemy Within Expansion

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Oh, right, I never knew (or cared to know) what Codex's opinion was on Civ V. So, what was it?

The only thing I cared about was: HEXES.
Hexagonal grid TB gaming is to square grid TB gaming what TB gaming is to RT gaming.
:incline:

ChristofferC

Magister
The Codex thinks that Civ5 is a piece of shit. Jon Shafer wanted to make a Panzer General clone and ended up with some strange mix between Civilization and Panzer General with poorly thought out mechanics and bad AI.

ChristofferC

Magister
Ok maybe that's a bit of hyperbole, Civ5 doesn't have all that much in common with Panzer General except for one unit per tile and hexes, but Jon talked a lot about Panzer General in Civ5 interviews.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Probably wanted to suck up to the grognard demographic. He didn't need to, really, with its great fanbase... don't the hours sunk in Civs fiercely rival with the hours sunk in Elder Scrolls games?

Peter

Arcane
That's silly. As you said, Civ is one of the most played series of all time. They don't need to suck up to anyone. Did you consider the fact that, since combat in Civ has always been shit, maybe they actually were trying to emulate Panzer General this time around?

Marobug

Actually the combat and the hex thing, as well as some of the new (I think) stuff like independent cities were one of the things I enjoyed the most about Civ5. The problem is, they watered down everything else.

Peter

Arcane
Hex combat was pretty good actually, yes, but it got really cramped really soon since they didn't bother to change the scale despite the two major changes to the map (hexes and one unit per hex).

Civ 5 was shit. 1 unit per tile wasn't a bad idea in and of itself, but it was implemented horribly.

Hexes should have been 1/3rd as big and unit movement increased, so that you could actually have armies fight. As it is both sides could have 30 units and it would take 30 turns to actually resolve the war.

AI was really, really, really bad. It not only played worse than Civ 4 AI's, but had no idea how to handle 1 unit per tile. Go find a screenshot of Deity difficulty games where players have create 3 military units the whole game and suffer 0 losses while reaching hundreds of kills each. To compensate, the AI cheats more and in worse ways than any game previous. There are screenshots of the AI having literally millions of gold while it simultaneously ignores every restriction on construction/research/units/cities that players do.

There are lots of other problems (including the next gen DLC bullshit), but these two are its downfall. Combat will always be crappy because its nothing but killing 100 units with 1 of your own, and the strategy will always be crappy because the AI cheats so badly to the point where the best way to beat them is to just capture cities with those 3 units of yours that have 100 xp each.

Achilles

Arcane
I'm cautiously optimistic. I still think that Xenonauts will be the better game though.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Civ V is just boring. I have lost faith in them making a fun game, especially with all other X-Com remakes sucking.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Micromanagement sucks anyway, I'm glad they're designing a strategy game for the 21th century. Tight design that allows you to spend your time with the core elements of the game is what makes strategy/tactics good.

There, I said it. Butthurt commencing in 3...2...1...

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Micromanagement in Xcom? The only thing I can think of is buying equipment and arming your troops. Doesn't sound promising at all.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Micromanagement sucks anyway, I'm glad they're designing a strategy game for the 21th century. Tight design that allows you to spend your time with the core elements of the game is what makes strategy/tactics good.

There, I said it. Butthurt commencing in 3...2...1...
13 minutes late but FUCK YOU!

Peter

Arcane
Please tell me the aliens appear on the minimap only when they're being seen.

And those shields had better not regenerate.

That screenshot makes me butthurt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom