Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM Firaxis - XCOM: Enemy Unknown + Enemy Within Expansion

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You know, I was sort of sympathetic to you, but then you spawned this little gem:

I wanna kick alien ass, not build a fucking bridge.

Go push your awesome button, motherfucker.

I will say though, guys, what did you expect? Honestly I'm just thankful we'll get a turn-based tactical game with management-mechanics for the PC. That it's dumbed down is a given, but at least the core looks to be OK.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Rape was expected, rape will be delivered.

At very best it will be on the level of the previous X-Com clones. And worst... Well, look at the latest Civ...

Black

Arcane
way more crazy awesome
Ah, the new video game design.
Ammo is abstracted. You're assumed to be carrying enough clips to reload as much as you want

THERE WERE DECISIONS THAT WE MADE THAT SAID 'OKAY, THIS IS, I THINK, MORE WELCOMING. NOT DUMBED DOWN OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT, BUT WELCOMING.

FUCKING NIGGERS

Black

Arcane
Hey morgoth, go fuck yourself in the ass, will you? You're a fucking popamole faggot that just stinks of dirty casual peasantry, dipshits like you are one of the cancers of video game industry.
Ask VD, maybe he'll grant you the ass fucking you seem to need so much.

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
•Destructible environments

No brainer.

•In the scenario they showed, one member died. Because of this the other squadmates didn't get an experience bonus

Hmmm...bonus? People might save/reload to hell for that bonus. Still, no biggie

•Without the bonus, the sniper leveled up still. He was able to choose from two abilities. Either Squad Sight(which means he can shoot anything a squadmate can see) and Snap Shot(which lets him shoot after moving. Something snipers aren't normally allowed to do)

Perks is ok.

•You can't recruit specific classes. You can only recruit rookies and then level them up to become specific classes

Not bad.

There's apparently a 'Heavy Armed Mobile Cover Platform that serves as a powerful rock on which to anchor any tactical advantage' and you can directly customize the heavy troops armor and weapons individually.

What does this even mean? Are we talking in combat here or is this a part of the base or what?

THE VAST MAJORITY OF XCOM'S CONTENT COMES IN THE FORM OF PROCEDURUALLY GENERATED MISSIONS AND ENCOUNTERS, MEANING THAT EVERY PLAYTHROUGH UNFOLDS DIFFERENTLY. (Sorry for the caps, just quoting here.)

•enemy spawns are randomized

•randomly generated missions, terrain. Developer says you'll never play the exact same mission twice outside of a few story missions which feature in-game cinematics

Good.

•fog of war is confirmed. area starts off with darkness everywhere, and the average soldier can't see ☺☺☺☺

Hmmm, ok i guess.
I take it to mean no view of buildings or terrain at all. I would prefer total view of area, but without seeing targets/civilians. I mean, they do have some recon on the ares they attack or what? (also, hopefully there will be civies).

•The base's screenshot is accurate. It is now a side shot instead of top down. You can also upgrade your base, like the satellite, with alien technology

Side view? What the hell for? I take it that also means no attacks on base, since it won't really have a layout?

•There was an example in one scenario where Japan had the laser rifle already developed before the invasion because they felt threatened, so that seems random.

Different factions develop tech according to enviroment. Sounds really good.

•You have 16 countries in the funding council you need to keep happy. Some provide more money, but others, like Africa, provide more raw resources

Good.

•The sniper units have a grappling hook ability to get on top of buildings

But not regular unit? Why? Also, does this mean enemies won't be on top of buidlings?

•Gunners have a suppressing fire

Very Good.

•you can equip your xcom guys with all kinds of different guns. customization looks like a big deal

Good. As it should be.

•Apparently there's some sort of cinematic view when your guys get killed. They didn't cite VATS or anything, so I doubt it's too in depth

Sounds really sucky, but we'll see.

•Unexperienced agents can panic, freak out, etc if something bad happens

Good.

•Firaxis designer states that the PC version will have an enhanced interface. He cites Dragon Age: Origins on PC and console as a big inspiration

Enhanced interface and DAO in same sentence? Not good.
•No black blobs in Firaxis's XCOM. The guys in suits are called "Thin Men" and they can use weapons, jump large distances, and puke disgusting goo.

What does this mean? Only two legged aliens with guns?

•No action points. The game uses a move-and-shoot (or move-and-move) dynamic. They don't want people piddling around counting individual action points. Some will call this a concession to consolitis; others will call it useful streamlining.

Fuck. That does not bode well. Could it work? Possibly.
Will it without a shadow of doubt dumb the gameplay down? Duh.

•Soldiers gain perk-like abilities when leveling up; some examples given are, for a sniper, Snap Shot (move-then-shoot, not normally a sniper option) or Squad Sight (shoot any enemy anyone on your squad can see -- not sure of the rationale there....).

Hmmm, perk like abilities but no abilities scores (or what)? That sounds fucking popamole as shit. Does this mean same amount of HP, accuracy, reflexes, etc for all units of the same experience?

•The strategic layer is extremely robust. You still need to choose which countries to send missions to, which offers of aid (in exchange for more protection) you'll accept from which countries, which alien technologies you'll research, etc. The back-and-forth between tactical and strategic play remains at the heart of the game.

Another no-brainer.

•Overwatch, duck-and-cover, etc. are all still very much present, tactically.

Overwatch is there, but is there interrupt? And if there are no ability scores, how would interrupt work?
How would duck and cover work with the two action point system?

•You can research vehicles, which take the place of a squaddie. They don't gain XP and when they are destroyed they are lost for good, but they provide serious cover and firepower. One example given is a mobile heavy weapons platform that serves as a good overwatcher for a tactical advance.

Sounds popamole. Could be decent.

•Aliens have their own special perk-like abilities as well.

Good.

Ammo is abstracted. You're assumed to be carrying enough clips to reload as much as you want, but it takes a turn to do so.

What? Bullshit.

sniper rifles are unusual in that they take a full turn to shoot

Decent enough i suppose.

So yeah, you only have one base.

Not good.
Your single base is like way more crazy awesome than any base from the original

Dumb bastard.

lots of opportunities for more decision-making in terms of digging deeper as well as what kind of expansion facilities you add on

hmmm. We'll see.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
OK, so they claim to be streamlining, but also decide to replace stats automatically going up with manually chosen perks?
Sounds like the gameplay won't be much like the original at all. Might still be good for what it is though.

Hellraiser

Arcane
No action points - don't expect gamers to know how to count or plan, math is for nerds :decline:
One base - tedious micromanagement has been removed, I guess they'll replace alien attacks on your base with story missions as well
Satellites - yeah so we're fighting these alien assholes from alpha centauri or whatever and they kind of ignore our completely defenseless satellite network in orbit which they can destroy with ease.
Infinite ammo - yeah planning ahead, estimating ammo usage and counting shit is for nerds bros. Real men shoot until they have to duck and regenerate health when in cover, ammo be damned.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tactical combat without action points and with unlimited ammunition is an oxymoron. Are the "gamers" really such retards that they are unable to perform basic math operations?
Here is the title whose potential appeal is primarily to people who know how to count, and the game designers remove features to shift the focus group to imbeciles. Like the rape of Jagged Alliance 2, it won't work. Imbeciles get a rash as soon as they hear the phrase "turn based".
The problem is, once this rape of X-Com crashes and burns, they will just say that turn based combat is an obsolete concept and that turn based games have no appeal to modern computer game market.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
THEY CHANGED IT NOW IT SUCKS

Suck it up turn based fetishists. Your dream game is finally here : smug:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Hey morgoth, go fuck yourself in the ass, will you? You're a fucking popamole faggot that just stinks of dirty casual peasantry, dipshits like you are one of the cancers of video game industry.
Ask VD, maybe he'll grant you the ass fucking you seem to need so much.
Video games are serious business, huh?

It always makes me laugh when some moron starts getting angry at these things.

But this is the Codex, eh? :hearnoevil:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Satellites - yeah so we're fighting these alien assholes from alpha centauri or whatever and they kind of ignore our completely defenseless satellite network in orbit which they can destroy with ease.

This is a good point though.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Am I reading you wrong or are you just retarded? :retarded:

I'm sure you have a better practical implementation of abstracting the costs of different actions in a turn based tactical computer game up your sleeve. Is it move-and-shoot per chance? Or is it time for a wall of text full of theoretical fantasies with no root in practice?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I think this "two action point" system isn't necessarily dumber - just more constraining. It turns the battle into less of a simulation and more of a tactical board game.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
?? What does that even mean?

•The base's screenshot is accurate. It is now a side shot instead of top down. You can also upgrade your base, like the satellite, with alien technology

If I read this correctly, there's gonna be a main base, and satellites (smaller bases).

Weaponized space sattelites are kinda pointless against a interstellar traveling species, don't you think? Unless George W. Bush is the current US president in the game...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Smaller bases connected to the main one.

Which might not make much sense, given the earlier listing. Oh well.

We're talking about the replacement for radar coverage. I had assumed that Firaxis decided that radar installations were low-tech and surveillance satellites are more familiar and contemporary.
See: everybody's GPS navigation app on their smartphone, or the EXTREME TACTICOOL briefings for Call of Duty single player levels.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
No action points. The game uses a move-and-shoot (or move-and-move) dynamic. They don't want people piddling around counting individual action points. Some will call this a concession to consolitis; others will call it useful streamlining.

Soldiers can still panic, but not to the point of wiping the squad. Likewise, you'll never get plasma-bombed right out of the carrier. They want to make the game more fair, and those were specifically mentioned.

Ammo is abstracted. You're assumed to be carrying enough clips to reload as much as you want

So yeah, you only have one base.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

:x :x :x

DOES NOT COMPUTE, MOTHERFUCKER
Action points, ammo, multiple bases, and unfair aliens are tedious and uninteresting mechanics that don't belong in glorious 2012. They must be purged.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom