Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview First Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay details revealed

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So, you know what's an RPG?

Its a game where the player cannot directly override his character abilities (usually skills, traits, attributes and perks) and limits they impose on the gameplay content, so he must evolve, shape and use them in strategic, meta and some tactical ways to play. Specifically, that would be a True RPG because it keeps closest to the fundamental feature that defines the genre - limits on gameplay content imposed through character abilities that the player evolves and shapes but cannot directly override - but the whole genre is a wide spectrum of experimentation in amounts of limits character abilities impose on gameplay content versus player skills so it contains various action-RPGs and other hybrids too.

Its not fucking rocket science.

On another note, I really hope that CP2077 will embrace modding community as I see a great potential here.

Also - this could be a fantastic opportunity for VR - cyberpunk is the best background for this kind of stuff.

I doubt there will be any modding capabilities worth a damn.

hpstg

Savant
I don't know if this was mentioned here, but one of the designers told Game Informer that they went with first person in order to give a better sense of the world's scale and verticality.

According to the report, CDProjekt didn't belive that they could convey what they wanted in the third person.

Seeing the feeling I get in GTA V between first and third person views, I kind of belive them. First person is also a ton more work for them, as all game assets need to be presentable from up close, and then the streaming engine and the amount of lod mesh and texture work can increase exponentially.

keppj0nes

Educated
I really got the feeling they are prepping this game to be ready for where VR will be 2 or 3 years from now. They are not pushing the word VR now because it is not useful for promoting or marketing a game. They are spotlighting the game first, and the tech side of things will come much later.,

hpstg

Savant
If I'm not mistaken, their presentation run at 4k, on an 8700k system with 32GB RAM and a 1080Ti.

This sounds monstrous now, but the game most likely hasn't had an optimization pass (they tend to happen towards the end, so probably 2020), and these specs will be mid range by then, which could make VR a possibility with a mid/high end system at the time.

hpstg

Savant
If they didn't, pretty much everything would be literally unplayable. It's very fashionable to shit on AAA titles about optimization, but most of them are usually performing very well.

I can't imagine CDProjekt would ever have an issue getting an extra six months for a proper optimization pass. The game seems to be already performing pretty well, for a late alpha / early beta.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic be like:
giphy.gif

...while wearing shades in the corner.

FPP is just fine for melee.

hpstg

Savant
None of what happens in that gif would have remotely the same impact if it wasn't a first person game though.

Wesp5

Arcane
None of what happens in that gif would have remotely the same impact if it wasn't a first person game though.

Well said! It really is a shame that there never was a modding community that added to that underdog game...

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here

Well said! It really is a shame that there never was a modding community that added to that underdog game...

IIRC they had an SDK ready for release, but Ubisoft blocked it at the last moment. Such a dumb move, the game had a lot of modding potential.

Wesp5

Arcane
IIRC they had an SDK ready for release, but Ubisoft blocked it at the last moment.

Very weird that this SDK has never appeared on the web then. After all I'm editing Bloodlines with an Unofficial SDK that some Russian guys made out of a leaked HL2 alpha :)! And the same also happened to the DeepShadows games "White Gold" and "The Precursors" and the even have a unique engine. I wonder why nobody modified a Source SDK for Dark Messiah.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom