Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Flagship Studios Presents: Hellgate London

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Flagship Studios; Hellgate: London

If you have the May issue (What's up with that? It's not even April.) of <a href=http://www.pcgamer.com>PC Gamer</a>, you'll be delighted to know that they have a tiny preview of the <a href=http://www.flagshipstudios.com>Flagship Studios</a> game. If you haven't heard, Flagship Studios is made up of the former Blizzard executives Bill Roper, David Brevik, Kenneth Williams, the Schaeffer brothers and Mike Huang, all of whom were responsible for unarguably the best action RPGs of all time, Diablo and Diablo 2.
<br>
<br>
They're apparently hard at work at delivering what they deliver best, an action CRPG and have announced their latest title in this issue of PC Gamer as Hellgate London, with artwork that graces the cover of the magazine. Intrigued? I know I am, but I'm not intrigued enough to buy the rag, so here's what it's all about (ripped from <a href=http://fs.kokeeno.com/gameinfo.php>Flagship Follower</a>):
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
<b>Release date</b>: 2006
<br>
That's all we know so far.
<br>
<br>
<b>Genre</b>: Role-playing Game
<br>
The screenshots of the game in PC Gamer were very decieving. It looks very much like it is a first-person shooter, but Flagship backs up the fact that the guns are really just "spell delivering systems." Bill Roper also states that Hellgate: London is "Diablo II set in a modern 3D world and played from a first-person perspective." It will indeed have melee combat, and they do plan on having a third-person perspective for this combat mode. A difference from current FPS's, is that hits, misses, and damage will also be based on characters stats and the stats of the weapons you use. So, as PC Gamer says, "Your mad Counter-Strike skillz won't help you here."
<br>
<br>
<b>Setting</b>: Modern day London, with a post-apocalyptic twist
<br>
The game is set in a demon infested London, 5 years after an epic battle between the demons and the human race. Guess who won. London was chosen because of it's "natural dungeons" such as subways, aqueducts, and left over bomb shelters from WWII. And yes, that was St. Paul's Cathedral in that concept art piece.
<br>
<br>
<b>Storyline</b>: Linear (but not quite so linear as Diablo II)
<br>
They say it will be linear, but less linear than Diablo II. This will be done by having randomized paths and quests that the player can take. Like in Diablo II, the surroundings will be generated randomly, so that it has the replayability of their other games.
<br>
<br>
<b>Leveling System</b>: Common RPG
<br>
They are guesstimating around 50 levels will be available at retail. The skill system sounds much like Diablo's. When you level up, you get skill points that you can put into class-specific abilities.
<br>
<br>
<b>Skill System</b>:
<br>
Their prototype sounds something like this: There are three categories with each class: Vengeance(offensive), auras(passive), and combo moves(triggered by making a critical strike).
<br>
<br>
They are still playing around with the direction of their skill system. One idea is to have a maze-like system that eventually leads the player into a subclass of the player.
<br>
<br>
<b>Online/Single-player</b>:
<br>
While the game will be <b>mainly single-player</b>, they do intend to make an online component(they have said something to the likes of Battle.net before) with support of 16 or even 32 players. Bill Roper hasn't ruled out some sort of competetive mode. A ladder system maybe?
<br>
<br>
<b>Tidbits</b>:
<br>
"A game that looks like Doom 3 but has the quest complexity of an RPG."
<br>
<br>
Character's appearance will be customizable in sex and looks.
<br>
<br>
Loot systems will be much like Diablo II's, where items will drop off your fallen foes. All items will have unique attributes. Even two identical items will have varying accuracy and damage.
<br>
<br>
Can you say rune words? Weapons will also have slots to add modifcations to add to your weapons, much like the runewords in Diablo II. They also say there may be a Horadric Cube-like system for making your own "relics."
<br>
<br>
Inventory will be handled just like any other RPG, with a paper-doll screen that allows you to drag and drop your gear.
<br>
<br>
There will be NPCs throughout the game that may aid you in your combat.
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
These guys are, sure as hell, not another CLICK Entertainment (responsible for that horrible Samurai-themed Diablo clone). That was made by some QA guy who tried to cash in on the Blizzard name. Credit where credit is due, visit <a href=http://fs.kokeeno.com/gameinfo.php>Flagship Follower</a>, where I grabbed the details. Thanks <b>Karka</b>.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I haven't even played their real Diablo 2 so why do they think I'll play this pretend version?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Fuck yeah, this game sounds totally sick.

P.s. I don't think that they think anything about what you will or won't do.

I hope modern London means modern London. I hate for it to be only window dressing for early levels only to turn into some sort of techno-hell subterrain.
It makes me think of "28 Days Later: The Game"
Actually, if they can incorperate that kind of visual sense, along with the ability to manipulate present day real world objects.Yeah, a 28 days later setting without the crappy characters, would be balls.
I'm there. I'm so fucking there.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
London does mean modern London. Read the stuff in the quotes.

You know what the game really sounds like, right? It sounds like Neil Gaiman's NEVERWHERE.

Fuck yeah.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
It remains to be seen as to what they will actually do. The whole interview sounds like it was directed towards the OMGWTFBBQ Republic Commando Si Bestest 5-hour Game EVAR readers of PC Gamer without turning them off or boring them. 1 mention of "isometric" and instead of getting gooey on the pants like we do,they get all ADHD and turn the page, like Volourn.

Next. :roll:

I know that's what it means, I just say I hope it's consistent through the whole game.
As far as the whole NEVERWHERE angle.

Fuck yeah, that is total fucking coolness.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
"A game that looks like Doom 3 but has the quest complexity of an RPG."

Yon standard hype aside, it remains to be seen if so called complexity is actual complexity and not just the usual kill-fetch assortment. Even if it is more than that, a quest doesn't really need to be complex at all, it just needs to be well designed.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
They pretty much said it diablo in first person, where is all this cooooll coming from? I saw that they said it will be mainly a single palyer game and that was about the only thing good i saw.

Fez

Erudite
The modern PA setting with demons in a real city is pretty neat. It could be a good action game.

Kuato

Liturgist
Would Hellgate be coming out at the same time as all the Unreal 3 engine games? thats going to be some brutal competition for fps dollars

Sol Invictus

Erudite
It's not an FPS. I wish people would learn to read more often.
"Diablo II set in a modern 3D world and played from a first-person perspective." It will indeed have melee combat, and they do plan on having a third-person perspective for this combat mode. A difference from current FPS's, is that hits, misses, and damage will also be based on characters stats and the stats of the weapons you use. So, as PC Gamer says, "Your mad Counter-Strike skillz won't help you here."

What's next, calling Myst an FPS because it's in first person too?

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
We'll see. I'm not going to get my hopes up for the game. I don't mind the FPS view. After all, some of my favorite RPGs are FP. Sounds interesting enough. I'll laugh my ass off if it comes out and we see posts like "NO FREE RIDES!" because it sucks. ;)

Fez

Erudite
For an action game like this I am quite happy to use the first-person view. The theme sounds good and the team should know what they are doing. We could get a damn fine action romp out of this.

Surlent

Liturgist
Some of those ideas sounded wacky, I'm sure Roper and boys will make the game a real schocker. What way is too soon to say at this point.
But I didn't find any screenies in that PC Gamer linksy. At least that PC Gamer cover looks neat.

PennyAnte

Liturgist
I see nothing in this that tells me how they're innovating. It sounds like a remake with a new skin.

Roper had given quotes suggesting the game would have novel aspects, and so had someone from Namco. This makes it sound only slightly different from a game most of us played out years ago.

I am very disappointed, at least so far. I want mechanics that take the genre in a new direction, elevate it, or define a new genre, basically like Diablo did.

That's what everyone really expects from Roper and crew. Not a rehash. Don't toady to Flagship just because of its pedigree. I want to love their game, but they've got to give me a reason.

Shevek

Arcane
I dunno about the rest of you, but as I envision a first/third person Diablo 2, I become extremely unimpressed. When played from this perspective, these kinda hack n slash games become quite chaotic. Frenzying about with a dual wielding Barb, roaming about with my Necro's Undead Army or prancing around the battlefield with my Javazon all benefitted GREATLY from the 3/4 perspective. I was hoping Flagship would make a new Diablo killer and it looks like we are getting Blade of Darkness with Guns instead. While not exactly a booby prize, I am still fairly disappointed.

Xoanon

Novice
It could be interesting. If nothing else, it will give people a good taster of what Fallout 3 is probably going to turn out like.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Okay, so what I basically think Hellgate London is, is a Doom (the original one) RPG. Hordes of monsters, no hit locations, all out run and gun (or hack and slash) action but with RPG stats, RPG quests, skill trees and a likelyhood of the game being played with only the WASD (or up down left right) and left and right mouse buttons for main attack/skill attack and probably a bunch of aura settings for great party gameplay.

I don't know about you, but I think that is totally awesome. I've always had a hard on for Doom.

Frenzying about with a dual wielding Barb, roaming about with my Necro's Undead Army or prancing around the battlefield with my Javazon all benefitted GREATLY from the 3/4 perspective.
Actually, I'm pretty sure the game is going to feature HORDES of monsters, because it's one of the things they actually mentioned early on during the development, so I'd imagine you'd be able to mow through hordes of monsters in 3rd person mode with your dual wielding Templar. They have said absolutely nothing to suggest that the game will be a Severence/BOD clone in all of its slow-paced glory. I can imagine that Hellgate London will allow me to use a heavy machinegun and mow through hordes of undead monsters or a lightning gun to zap the lot of them, when I'm not charging through them with my whirlwind, that is. .

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Well, if it pans out the way ExtITium is describing it here, I AM GOIN TO HAVE A MASSIVE SPONTANEOUS ORGASM ALL OVER THE CD COVER BEFORE OR DURINGTHE POINT THAT I STICK SAID CD IN MY CD/DVD ROM.

I have no problems with " Severence/BOD clone in all of its slow-paced glory"; in fact, I could do with more (irespective of the potential RPG dumbing). So I take that as not an insult, and I am way too drunk to read the rest of the thread to see if ti was ("glory " indicates it was not). Combined with Diablo-esque stuff (3d, iso, wotevathefuck i dont care) it would sound good. But even if its "twotch comabt"{, well, the right implementsion could do the trick.

Fez said:
For an action game like this I am quite happy to use the first-person view. The theme sounds good and the team should know what they are doing. We could get a damn fine action romp out of this.
i agree buddy, Wheres the lube?
:cool: .

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yeah, I didn't mean my Severence comment as an insult. It was a pretty good hack & slasher, but it's probably not what they're going to deliver with Hellgate London, though I wouldn't mind if it was at all. But I'd much prefer, and I think it's much more likely, that the game is going to feature swarms of monsters and be closer to the Whirlwind Barbarian Diablo 2 experience.

Either way, it's all good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom