Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Forspoken - action-RPG from Square Enix with cringe protagonist

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fq36Ms0WwBkxua4

Fq36M22WwBI37zI

Is this some sort of weird scheme where the execs have fully divested and are now shorting their own stock?

Zlaja

Arcane
Will they learn from this? I doubt it.

Forspoken publisher Square Enix has admitted the game's sales were "lacklustre", and that critical reviews of the title had been "challenging".

"I stated that we were designating FY2023/3 as a year in which to lay the foundations that will enable us to achieve our medium-term objectives, but that we nonetheless intended to pursue YoY growth in sales and profits," Square Enix chief accounting officer Atsushi Matsuda said. "In light of current conditions, however, I have to admit that this will not be easy."

https://www.eurogamer.net/forspoken-sales-lacklustre-square-enix-says

forspoken-interview.jpg

I don't usually like seeing comments about East-Asians being "bugmen", but then I see an image like this and go "you know what, it kinda fits".

Falksi

Arcane
Square Enix are fucking useless now. Not only are they desperately selling their souls to try and break the Western RPG market, but their niche RPGs such as Octopath & Live-A-Live are fucking shite, and only survive on nostalgia-drunk Nintendrones, who'd buy shit with sugar on if it was imprinted with with a logo they loved 30 years ago.

Hopefully other companies such of SEGA/Atlus & Bandai Namco properly dethrone them soon, because they've been living off the fumes of Final Fantasy 4 through 12 for far too long.

Last edited:

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
Will they learn from this? I doubt it.

Forspoken publisher Square Enix has admitted the game's sales were "lacklustre", and that critical reviews of the title had been "challenging".

"I stated that we were designating FY2023/3 as a year in which to lay the foundations that will enable us to achieve our medium-term objectives, but that we nonetheless intended to pursue YoY growth in sales and profits," Square Enix chief accounting officer Atsushi Matsuda said. "In light of current conditions, however, I have to admit that this will not be easy."

https://www.eurogamer.net/forspoken-sales-lacklustre-square-enix-says

forspoken-interview.jpg

I don't usually like seeing comments about East-Asians being "bugmen", but then I see an image like this and go "you know what, it kinda fits".
Bugman
It's just three pics of the same guy

Skorpion

Educated
why do some posts just have a bunch of alphanumerics for me? (sorry off topic I know but it keeps happening and I feel dumb)
You mean like

Fq36Ms0WwBkxua4​

Fq36M22WwBI37zI​

? Those are the filenames of the quoted images, image is probably not loading for you. Post in site feedback if you can't find out how to fix it
exactly the issue, alright thank you and will look into it
back to your regularly scheduled thread

Modron

Arcane
exactly the issue, alright thank you and will look into it
back to your regularly scheduled thread
Depending on your browser settings, a number of sites (with twitter being the primary one) won't embed content. Have to click view image if you want to see said images. Site feedback won't be able to fix it.

Square Enix are fucking useless [and] desperately selling their souls to try and break the Western RPG market
I honestly can't blame them. The suits at Square Enix probably cry themselves to sleep every night because Elden Ring sold over 20 million copies and won countless awards.

It is, however, a mystery how Forspoken could have ever been greenlighted.

DemonKing

Arcane
$100 million to make and people are throwing it out as landfill already because no one wants to buy it even at deep discount and no retailer even wants to take it back as a trade.

How could magical black chick with a talking armband in generic fantasyland possibly fail? Even typing it out that sounds like money to me...

:nocountryforshitposters:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'd take it with a grain of salt since this is just an off-hand remark from the game's lead writer.

But still, $100 million?

1679022848918.png

Add the marketing budget on top of development budget, and the total production cost is about 150 to 200 million dollars.

The management of Squeenix have really no idea what they are doing. They just throw shit at the wall and hope that some of it sticks.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
How many games like UnderRail US$100 mi could make...
Throwing money around is not going to magically make good game, you need dedicated people worked to the bone to make such things happen.

But WHAT IF you give a talented indiedev $100 MIL tho?

You'd get someone with at least one crippling drug addiction and numerous venereal diseases.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom