Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Forspoken - action-RPG from Square Enix with cringe protagonist

Vlajdermen

Arcane
A lot of jp gamers think Japan makes shit games and that western games are better, actually. It's part of that weird defeatist spirit you see in countries that are also islands, and one of the many aspects of the Island Syndrome. Bear in mind that they might seem extremely patriotic in the outside, but when nobody's looking, they fall into this odd depression about their own country.
See also: the UK
They also have an inferiority complex where you acknowledge someone as your better, but don't want to admt it so you develop an inflated ego as a way to cope. The chinese do too, but to their credit, they at least try to put their money where their mouth is. Japan is a cross between chinese and british-type autism.

But yeah. Ypipo games > yellow pipo games, always.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
A lot of jp gamers think Japan makes shit games and that western games are better, actually. It's part of that weird defeatist spirit you see in countries that are also islands, and one of the many aspects of the Island Syndrome. Bear in mind that they might seem extremely patriotic in the outside, but when nobody's looking, they fall into this odd depression about their own country.
They also have an inferiority complex where you acknowledge someone as your better, but don't want to admt it so you develop an inflated ego as a way to cope. The chinese do too, but to their credit, they at least try to put their money where their mouth is. Japan is a cross between chinese and british-type autism.

They think they are straightforwardly superior. They just don't have the numbers (population).

Vlajdermen

Arcane

They think they are straightforwardly superior. They just don't have the numbers (population).
You got 100+ million people, most of which live in cities and are thus easily mobilizable, plus a lot of automated tech which can compensate for labour shortages. If that's not enough for you, then it's time to throw in the towel and start living in the real world. That goes double for western weebs who consider the nips to be God's chosen. They should know better.

Also, raw numbers don't matter as much as the numbers you can organize. How come India and the Phillipines aren't supa powas, despite their numbers? If France thinned its numbers by getting rid of all the negroes, would that diminish its power?

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected

You got 100+ million people, most of which live in cities and are thus easily mobilizable, plus a lot of automated tech which can compensate for labour shortages. If that's not enough for you, then it's time to throw in the towel and start living in the real world. That goes double for western weebs who consider the nips to be God's chosen. They should know better.

Also, raw numbers don't matter as much as the numbers you can organize. How come India and the Phillipines aren't supa powas, despite their numbers? If France thinned its numbers by getting rid of all the negroes, would that diminish its power?
Enough for what? Japan is a tiny country that punches way above its weight. Just not enough to be a global hegemon.

Vlajdermen

Arcane

Enough for what? Japan is a tiny country that punches way above its weight. Just not enough to be a global hegemon.
At the risk of derailing the thread into politics, you can climb the ranks of global power if you're smart and well-organized. China did. Their rise to power has been plotted since the 60s. They played the long game, exploited people's weaknesses. America did too in WW1. That's just how it all works.

Also if numbers are such a big deal, there are ways to procure bigger numbers. It's a skill like any other.

But I digrees. To answer your question - enough to be superior. I'm not gonna shit on anyone for not being more powerful than China, but we gotta be realistic about them. Even if you like them or find them interesting, they are not our betters. If you think you're superior, either prove it or shut your mouth. It's that simple.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
You'd think this is exactly what journalists wanted. It has all the hallmarks of modern game design.

Gaming journalists are mostly abject failures.
This reminds me of something a game journo said on a podcast I listened to years ago. He was talking about how he got into the industry (print magazines at the time) and he described it and mentioned that the Editor in Chief who hired him was looking at his marks, but in the opposite way most places will. They wanted people who had like Cs and Ds (think around a 1.7-2.0 on a 4 point GPA scale) because anyone who was doing well probably hadn't fucked off for gaming enough.

So basically, they didn't pick the best and brightest, they picked all the retarded stoners who had no better prospects in life and ta da! Gaming journalism.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected

At the risk of derailing the thread into politics, you can climb the ranks of global power if you're smart and well-organized. China did. Their rise to power has been plotted since the 60s. They played the long game, exploited people's weaknesses. America did too in WW1. That's just how it all works.

Also if numbers are such a big deal, there are ways to procure bigger numbers. It's a skill like any other.

But I digrees. To answer your question - enough to be superior. I'm not gonna shit on anyone for not being more powerful than China, but we gotta be realistic about them. Even if you like them or find them interesting, they are not our betters. If you think you're superior, either prove it or shut your mouth. It's that simple.
How would you procure more Japanese people? You brought up Indian and Filipino population size, who are different from the Japanese, basically irrelevant to what I was talking about - the concept of Japanese people being superior. I am talking about the perceived lack of Japanese people in relation to their incapability of becoming more powerful. Of course numbers are extremely important, though they're not the only thing that's important. They certainly have reasons to believe that they are superior, in terms of intellectual capacity at least, when you consider their power relative to their population size, not to mention the resources and land available to them, which are related with their historical and social circumstances in complex ways. Anyway, none of this about their ideas of superiority is my opinion, just saying what I gathered from interacting with their shit.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
"How do you procure more japanese people"? Pro-natalism in the long term, proxy warrior "allies" to compensate in the short term.

I believe the reason most nips hate nip games is because they understand - intuitively - that they are very low-EQ, vain, feminine, and lacking in ideas and initiative. I certainly feel that way while playing japanese games, something I barely do anymore. They're not all bad, it's just - play one, you've played them all. Look at From Software if you want an example.

If you think there's cool things about them, alright. But we can agree that they're wrong in thinking that they're the one good country and everyone else are just spear-chucking niggers. There are some things that 2 or 3 extra IQ points can't compensate for.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
You'd think this is exactly what journalists wanted. It has all the hallmarks of modern game design.

Gaming journalists are mostly abject failures.
This reminds me of something a game journo said on a podcast I listened to years ago. He was talking about how he got into the industry (print magazines at the time) and he described it and mentioned that the Editor in Chief who hired him was looking at his marks, but in the opposite way most places will. They wanted people who had like Cs and Ds (think around a 1.7-2.0 on a 4 point GPA scale) because anyone who was doing well probably hadn't fucked off for gaming enough.

So basically, they didn't pick the best and brightest, they picked all the retarded stoners who had no better prospects in life and ta da! Gaming journalism.
I've worked with a lot of former journalists and there's basically only two types.

1. The old-school one who believes in the "spirit of journalism" and how it's the shining light of democracy, yada yada. Very respectable people generally, and usually a stickler for rules (don't get them started on APA/MLA, grammar and formatting bullshit).

2. People with a liberal arts degree who couldn't get any other job than a content generation monkey. Thinks they're "serious writers" but too obsessed with the current fad. Usually extremely untalented.

Guess which one most gaming journalists are? The only thing that makes "gaming journalism" real in my eyes is that they get paid like shit, just like all journalists.

Kids, avoid studying this in school. Journalism is dead.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
1. The old-school one who believes in the "spirit of journalism" and how it's the shining light of democracy, yada yada. Very respectable people generally, and usually a stickler for rules (don't get them started on APA/MLA, grammar and formatting bullshit).

2. People with a liberal arts degree who couldn't get any other job than a content generation monkey. Thinks they're "serious writers" but too obsessed with the current fad. Usually extremely untalented.

Guess which one most gaming journalists are?

Yeah, definitely. 100% on the respectability divide. It's a shame, really.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
"How do you procure more japanese people"? Pro-natalism in the long term, proxy warrior "allies" to compensate in the short term.

I believe the reason most nips hate nip games is because they understand - intuitively - that they are very low-EQ, vain, feminine, and lacking in ideas and initiative. I certainly feel that way while playing japanese games, something I barely do anymore. They're not all bad, it's just - play one, you've played them all. Look at From Software if you want an example.

If you think there's cool things about them, alright. But we can agree that they're wrong in thinking that they're the one good country and everyone else are just spear-chucking niggers. There are some things that 2 or 3 extra IQ points can't compensate for.
My impression is that they think they're a little smarter than other people, better organized, more dilligent and so on, not that other people are spear-chucking niggers. I agree with that assessment on Japanese games, for the mainstream ones I played. The vanity, repetitiveness and superficiality of mechanics have gotten worse over the years.

"How do you procure more japanese people"?
unironically make animes with this feel

k62iu9afyl191.jpg

Vlajdermen

Arcane

My impression is that they think they're a little smarter than other people, better organized, more dilligent and so on, not that other people are spear-chucking niggers. I agree with that assessment on Japanese games, for the mainstream ones I played. The vanity, repetitiveness and superficiality of mechanics have gotten worse over the years.
If that's the case than it's a fair thing to think. I stand with what I've said about their inferiority complex.

Regarding vain japanese games, I see ocarina of time as pretty much the Uncharted of its time, so in love with its own graphics and happy to interrupt the game by flexing them. I wouldn't be surprised if that's where the ''interactive movie'' cancer started.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Regarding vain japanese games, I see ocarina of time as pretty much the Uncharted of its time, so in love with its own graphics and happy to interrupt the game by flexing them. I wouldn't be surprised if that's where the ''interactive movie'' cancer started.
I would cite Final Fantasy 7 and Metal Gear Solid. Ocarina of Time is nowhere near as bad as they are for having long boring cutscenes, plus it has genuine gameplay. Of course, its cutscenes are all unskippable, which is cancer.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
I would cite Final Fantasy 7 and Metal Gear Solid. Ocarina of Time is nowhere near as bad as they are for having long boring cutscenes, plus it has genuine gameplay. Of course, its cutscenes are all unskippable, which is cancer.
MGS isn't as bad, since its animations aren't as drawn out as ocarina's, and the cutscenes are skippable. The movie elements are a selling point, but they don't intrude upon the game as much.

Modron

Arcane
Lies Hongkong has taught us that you can fit 20 asian couples inside a single asian apartment with enough will.

Girl goes in woman
Man goes in woman
Woman goes in bear

I think I solved it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom