Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Forspoken - action-RPG from Square Enix with cringe protagonist

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
So she talks like that all through the game, every time she whacks at an enemy? Seriously? Oooookaaaaay :roll:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I think I read the same argument I'm about to make in another thread here in the Codex, but isekai seems like a dumb thing to represent in video games. What's the point of making a game about being trapped in a game?
Isekai can offer a convenient means of explaining an alien setting to the player, since the player-character himself needs to have everything explained to him (e.g. Final Fantasy X). It does seem a pointless contrivance, however, if the setting is a more-or-less standard fantasy one, as the player can be expected to be familiar with fantasy tropes. Also, a similar function can be provided simply by having the PC be an outsider to the exact geography, as in Morrowind.

Tbh, stuff like this is what you get when you let dumb weeaboo gimmicks infect your games.
Isekai is as American as Edgar Rice Burroughs' A Princess of Mars and Abraham Merritt's The Ship of Ishtar.

Frozen

Arcane
BioWare: I want to be a dragon!
Square Enix: Your mommy is a dragon!
Bethesda: See that dragon? Well, you ain"t climbing on it! (That would be fun)
Larian: You can fuck a dragon!
Obsidian (cuck Sawyer): What is a dragon?
CDPR: Dragon is Keanu!

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
but isekai seems like a dumb thing to represent in video games. What's the point of making a game about being trapped in a game?

Isekais aren't about being trapped in a game but about someone finding themselves transported (or reincarnated or taking over the body of someone else) in another world, almost always quite different from their own world (which also almost always is the same or very similar to ours).

As far as games go, this actually has been used a bunch of times in games already outside of Japanese works, even in the 90s (or actually 80s - IIRC the Avatar in some Ultima games is clearly summoned from the "modern" world). It also doesn't have to be about a fantasy world, e.g. Toonstruck and Comix Zone are 90s games about authors transported to their own worlds (which is a topic that more recent Japanese isekai novels have used too).

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Someone hit the nail on the head earlier in the thread when they mentioned that Isekais are blatant power fantasies that are almost impossible to fuck up.

All you need is to follow this formula:

1. Regular lame-ass protagonist dude
2. Multiple big-tittied hotties for his harem
3. Generic demon lord/bad guy plot

It's almost like the audience for this is overwhelmingly men or something. Perhaps when you sink millions of dollars into a project, you should do some basic market research.

Kek.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I've read a bunch of isekai novels and while there are a lot of them like you describe, those are by far the novels i find most boring and bland :-P.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

I've read a bunch of isekai novels and while there are a lot of them like you describe, those are by far the novels i find most boring and bland :-P.

They're that way by design. Most media no longer tries to sell purely by quality, but instead because of guaranteed audiences and the right amount of marketing spend.

It's why a lot of things are shit.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
She probably is sucking something these days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom